Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-26-2018, 04:39 PM   #1
v8 enthusiast

Drives: Camaro 2SS 2017
NO AFM NO SHUDDER WHEN DRIVING 2017 CAMARO SS A8 IN MANUAL MODE

Hello!
Greeting from Brazil.
My 2017 Camaro SS with 3,600 miles presented the shudder last week.
I was driving up a slight hill and got the shudder for the first time.
I've investigated quite a lot about it.
I've read one gets no AFM when driving in manual mode. Today I did that and it worked.
My real concern avoiding AFM is to avoid the shudder and prevent any damages to the transmission/TC.

Some people say you can really turn AFM off with HP Tuners, zeroing the slip tables for 7th and 8th gears.
The guy who has the equipment also claims a final gain in horse power and torque when tuning, which are things I'm afraid of; I think it may change many other mechanical characteristcs which may - who knows - cause damage to the engine/transmission in the long run.
A friend of mine with the his Camaro SS 2017 went for the tuning and is happy after 5k miles, no AFM, no issues no CEl's.

What is your opinion since I feel all right with a stock car, I do not need more power, although it would be nice to have.
But if you say to me that you have been driving in manual mode for some, say, 5k miles and no shuddering, no AFM, I shall consider it my first option, i.e., always drive in manual mode using the paddle shifters or the shift knob.
Thank you so much.
Yours truly
Adelmar
v8 enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 05:16 PM   #2
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
The shudder happens most frequently when the LT1 is running in V4 mode and the car encounters a slight incline (as you noted). The LT1 will still run in V4 mode when manually shifting until you manually downshift and then upshift. Then it seems to stay in V8 mode.

Your options are to continue to drive in manual mode, use a device like the Range AFM module to disable AFM, or have it tuned out. If you have your car tuned then you risk voiding the powertrain warranty. If you decide to buy a Range AFM or similar device then be sure to remove it from the car before taking it to a dealer for service.

If you have already felt the shudder then I suggest you take the car to the dealer to have them flush and refill the system with the improved fluid while the car is still under warranty. Then you can decide which method you want to use to avoid AFM mode in the future.
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 12:49 PM   #3
Hagels316

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS A8
The shudder will occur regardless of AFM "V4" mode. I have had the AFM tuned out since I had headers put in (It never goes into V4 mode). Needless to say, at about 12k miles the shudder started happening. So, even if you tune out the AFM, the shudder can still happen unfortunately.

Shudder generally occurs after the Transmission has entered TC lock up (about 45-55mph). However, to OPs point, keeping the car in manual mode will prevent TC lock up.

Also, zeroing out the slip tables will help a lot, but will not completely solve the issue.

In my case, I am doing a heads/cam build and will be installing an aftermarket performance TC.
Hagels316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 01:13 PM   #4
Indyblue98
2012 RS 2ss

Drives: 2018 ZL1 2012 2SS WhippleCharged
My first thought : If your car has shown some shudder already DON"T have a tune done to the car , most likely cause the dealer to void the warranty .
Old 12-27-2018, 05:54 PM   #5
v8 enthusiast

Drives: Camaro 2SS 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagels316 View Post
The shudder will occur regardless of AFM "V4" mode. I have had the AFM tuned out since I had headers put in (It never goes into V4 mode). Needless to say, at about 12k miles the shudder started happening. So, even if you tune out the AFM, the shudder can still happen unfortunately.

Shudder generally occurs after the Transmission has entered TC lock up (about 45-55mph). However, to OPs point, keeping the car in manual mode will prevent TC lock up.

Also, zeroing out the slip tables will help a lot, but will not completely solve the issue.

In my case, I am doing a heads/cam build and will be installing an aftermarket performance TC.
How much for this aftermarket perfomance TC?
v8 enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote