Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-23-2022, 12:11 PM   #1
crc91

Drives: '14 1LS
SS 1LE road course/street cam options

Hey everyone I was wondering if anyone is running a road course specific cam? I know there are a lot of choice out there! I would ideally like something with decent street manners and good track/ high rpm performance. I want something that would be easy on the valve springs, I don’t want to have to replace them all the time due to it being operated at high rpm’s all the time. I expect to do maybe 5 track days a year to start. I will of course be doing a few totally stock, but down the road I would like to add a fun head/cam package

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patiently waiting for my 2023 SS 1LE
crc91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 07:26 PM   #2
757Fixer

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE M6
I have the same question and have been looking at cams at BTR. Some of the Gen V BTR truck cams that are slightly peppier than a stock LT1 look interesting with lift at .540.
Old 07-23-2022, 08:19 PM   #3
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by crc91 View Post
Hey everyone I was wondering if anyone is running a road course specific cam? I know there are a lot of choice out there! I would ideally like something with decent street manners and good track/ high rpm performance. I want something that would be easy on the valve springs, I don’t want to have to replace them all the time due to it being operated at high rpm’s all the time. I expect to do maybe 5 track days a year to start. I will of course be doing a few totally stock, but down the road I would like to add a fun head/cam package

I don't know your experience level with driving on road course tracks, but if you are relatively new to it, I'd humbly suggest you drive a bunch on some different road courses before deciding to add power to your SS 1LE.

I say this because the SS 1LE in stock form has more than enough power for small to medium size tracks, and still plenty of power for tracks with long straight aways (VIR, Road Atlanta, etc). The only place you can take actually take advantage of more than 450 HP is on long straight aways. Otherwise, by the time you fully roll onto the throttle as you exit a corner, you're already at the entrance to the next corner. And yes, on long straights, you can attain higher speeds with >450HP, but that also means you'll be arriving at the next corner at a higher speed, and thus will be putting more heat into your brakes and tires while wearing out these consumables at a faster rate.

I realize I'm likely in the minority here (not addicted to ever higher top speeds). I knew in advance of buying that I'd primarily be tracking it, and that a car making >450HP would be wasted on the on street and a non-essential nice-to-have on the track. For HPDE events, this car in stock form hangs with the best in the twisties and still out accelerates most on the straightaways.
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 10:15 PM   #4
crc91

Quote:
Originally Posted by N Camarolina View Post
I don't know your experience level with driving on road course tracks, but if you are relatively new to it, I'd humbly suggest you drive a bunch on some different road courses before deciding to add power to your SS 1LE.

I say this because the SS 1LE in stock form has more than enough power for small to medium size tracks, and still plenty of power for tracks with long straight aways (VIR, Road Atlanta, etc). The only place you can take actually take advantage of more than 450 HP is on long straight aways. Otherwise, by the time you fully roll onto the throttle as you exit a corner, you're already at the entrance to the next corner. And yes, on long straights, you can attain higher speeds with >450HP, but that also means you'll be arriving at the next corner at a higher speed, and thus will be putting more heat into your brakes and tires while wearing out these consumables at a faster rate.

I realize I'm likely in the minority here (not addicted to ever higher top speeds). I knew in advance of buying that I'd primarily be tracking it, and that a car making >450HP would be wasted on the on street and a non-essential nice-to-have on the track. For HPDE events, this car in stock form hangs with the best in the twisties and still out accelerates most on the straightaways.

You are absolutely correct! And I agree with you whole heartily! (How often do you hear that on an Internet forum? Lol) it just boils down to always wanting my own v8 with a head and cam package. I’m going to do it, not right away. But when the time comes I would like one,this car will be daily driven and weekend warrior at the track, and I’ll even admit I’m a rookie at the road course so yes I’ll want to learn the car way before adding a cam. Seat time will do more wonders for a guy like me then a cam. My home track is Nola motorsports and it does have a long front straight. Just looking for some recommendations and advice for when the time comes.

Old 07-24-2022, 11:01 AM   #5
Uncle Sam

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE Hyper Blue
A key point to consider is the SS 1LE has a 5-year powertrain warranty including track day use if left stock. That is worth a lot of peace of mind.

My 0.02 cents is drive it stock and use the money that engine mods would cost for tires and brake pads and fluid: it's like 5 years of driving events for free! Maybe invest in safety gear too.
Uncle Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 11:32 AM   #6
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sam View Post
A key point to consider is the SS 1LE has a 5-year powertrain warranty including track day use if left stock. That is worth a lot of peace of mind.

My 0.02 cents is drive it stock and use the money that engine mods would cost for tires and brake pads and fluid: it's like 5 years of driving events for free! Maybe invest in safety gear too.
Excellent point! I blew my LT1 engine (at the track) with 5000K miles on the odo. Would like to think that it's a pretty rare event, but I can tell the OP for sure that:

1) GM honors the powertrain warrantee and will replace engine so long as you haven't modified the engine in any way (that ECM tunes). They replaced my engine with a new one.

2) A new LT1 crate engine costs just under $10,000. Labor would likely be another ~ $3,000 (30 hrs)

3) I'd like to think that my engine failure was a rare event, but other members here who track have had it happen. Think about how much more stress we are putting the engine under vs street driving. Winding the engine out near redline corner exit after corner exit, shift after shift, lap after lap, session after session, weekend after weekend.....

I get that you want your cammed engine. Just would suggest that you consider the financial cost of engine failure before you take the plunge. Or if you are bent on doing a cam early on, consider doing a more full engine build to maximize durability against the stress imposed by cam, tune, higher HP, and track running.
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 03:08 PM   #7
crc91

I appreciate the advice, but again it’s my call to make. This post was made for recommendations, I’ve yet to get any advice on that yet. So any 1LE guys actually running the track with a cam?

Old 07-24-2022, 09:31 PM   #8
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Maybe send a PM to member Nickyracerboy. I hope he doesn't mind me throwing his name out there but if I were going to do a track build on an LT1 he'd be the first guy I would contact. Check out his videos in the Road Course Autocross section, probably the ultimate 6th gen N/A car!
Old 07-25-2022, 08:03 AM   #9
Katech_Zach

Drives: 14 Camaro SS 1LE
Our Katech Torquer LT1 camshaft was made for street and road course use. Has no loss of torque anywhere compared to the factory powerband, and extends it close to 7000 RPM. On a head/cam/intake/exhaust/e85 package for a Camaro SS, baseline was about 400 HP, and ended with near 550hp on 93 and 580whp on e85.

We have a race camshaft to inch closer to the 600 number with the right combo, but you do lose some torque down low. If you are doing shorter tracks or autocross, the torquer LT1 is what you want. If you want higher rpm, higher speed power, youll have to call Mike in sales to sell you our race cam that isnt on our website
Katech_Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 10:45 AM   #10
5.M0NSTER

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katech_Zach View Post
Our Katech Torquer LT1 camshaft was made for street and road course use. Has no loss of torque anywhere compared to the factory powerband, and extends it close to 7000 RPM. On a head/cam/intake/exhaust/e85 package for a Camaro SS, baseline was about 400 HP, and ended with near 550hp on 93 and 580whp on e85.

We have a race camshaft to inch closer to the 600 number with the right combo, but you do lose some torque down low. If you are doing shorter tracks or autocross, the torquer LT1 is what you want. If you want higher rpm, higher speed power, youll have to call Mike in sales to sell you our race cam that isnt on our website
Hey Zach, I have a question about this. You guys also offer a 550hp target Stage 2 package with MSD intake, throttle body, CAI, ATI damper and tune. But no cam. I’ve been very curious about this setup for road course usage as well.

For a fun daily and road course car which frequents Mid Ohio, Grattan, Gingerman, Pitt Race and Blackhawk Farms etc…. which setup would you recommend?
5.M0NSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 07:08 PM   #11
Redlinez
Shifts under load

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE rally green
I'm guessing that 550 package is flywheel. When he says 400 baseline, that's a rear wheel number stock compared to 550/580 heads/cam/bolt ons/e85
Redlinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 07:12 PM   #12
crc91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katech_Zach View Post

Thanks! What kind of valve springs would you suggest?

Old 07-25-2022, 08:17 PM   #13
pbsinternet1le

Drives: 2017 1le current /2015 2ss 1le sold
What you want is a complete package to make it all breathe properly..it's not just cam heads.You will want a bigger throttle body, a different intake, headers, different lifter set etc to make it all work. I did mine in steps.. ported msd, 103mm tb headers and a tune 1st. Then added a stage 3 cam from Vengeance Racing, ported oem heads, and ls7 lifter set.. I can tell you it gets pricey fast to do it correctly..590rwhp at 7200rpm.. it's fun! I'd suggest going to Pray Performance or Vengeance and let them know what you plan to do with the car and get a package.. Headers, intake, tb, and a tune, wake the car up alot..for reasonable price.
Old 07-26-2022, 08:46 AM   #14
5.M0NSTER

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlinez View Post
I'm guessing that 550 package is flywheel. When he says 400 baseline, that's a rear wheel number stock compared to 550/580 heads/cam/bolt ons/e85
Yes, agreed. 550 crank would be roughly 470 at the wheels. 70 more hp than stock would be pretty kick ass on a road course.

I do wonder if the cooling system can handle the extra heat for hot track days with this setup.
5.M0NSTER is offline   Reply With Quote