#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-30-2022, 01:33 PM   #15
synolimit

Drives: 22 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
With 1000 extra lb you will get extra heat and that's not necessarily a good thing Maybe you meant higher torgue?
But, that almost always translated to higher heat anyway. Watch for sticking pistons and other caliper issues. Cheers!

PS Hard pedal and no action may mean the pad is too much for a tire and engages ABS. Or, pad fade.
i said 1000 less. since the OP is running the same pad on a heavier car without issue then its a non issue. besides wearing out fast
synolimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 04:39 PM   #16
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by synolimit View Post
i said 1000 less. since the OP is running the same pad on a heavier car without issue then its a non issue. besides wearing out fast
I know you said "less" and hence my point as stated.

PS dont know anyone that would even remotely wish for their pads to run "hotter".

PSS Gloc has been around for many moons now. Indeed ex Carbotech folks and same compounds, but different names.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 05:09 PM   #17
synolimit

Quote:
I know you said "less" and hence my point as stated.

PS dont know anyone that would even remotely wish for their pads to run "hotter".

PSS Gloc has been around for many moons now. Indeed ex Carbotech folks and same compounds, but different names.
i don't understand what you're saying then.

3,000lbs 370z ran great with xp12

his 4,000lbs camaro runs great with xp12

hows anyones pads running hotter if they both run great or who even said they'd wish for a pad to run hotter?
Old 03-30-2022, 05:22 PM   #18
TrackClub

Quote:
i don't understand what you're saying then.

3,000lbs 370z ran great with xp12

his 4,000lbs camaro runs great with xp12

hows anyones pads running hotter if they both run great or who even said they'd wish for a pad to run hotter?
You said:

"i ran xp12's on a car that was 1,000lbs lighter, id think the camaro would need a higher heat pad".

"Higher heat pad" means higher brake component temps, which is never a good thing, especially on a heavier car with limited brake cooling. Hence my comment. Heat management is the biggest challenge of any brake component manufacturer and every crew chief's priority from Nascar to IMSA, F1 and everything else - our cars included. And when folks dont pay attention to heat: very bad things happen.

Cheers!
Old 03-30-2022, 07:55 PM   #19
synolimit

Quote:
You said:

"i ran xp12's on a car that was 1,000lbs lighter, id think the camaro would need a higher heat pad".

"Higher heat pad" means higher brake component temps, which is never a good thing, especially on a heavier car with limited brake cooling. Hence my comment. Heat management is the biggest challenge of any brake component manufacturer and every crew chief's priority from Nascar to IMSA, F1 and everything else - our cars included. And when folks dont pay attention to heat: very bad things happen.

Cheers!
a higher heat pad means youre going from the xp12 to the xp18 which i stated. thats 1800º max operating temp pad to a 2100º+ pad.
Old 03-30-2022, 08:40 PM   #20
Sephx1

Drives: 18 ZLE, 18 SS1LE, 16 SS, 23 ZL1
I found 2 new sets of new XP12’s left over from my Brembo GT kit I had on my 2008 Z06 track car 14 years ago. I compared them to my SS 1LE pads and while they appear they would fit, the pad is much smaller. The 1LE Brembo pads come down closer to the rotor. Are these the pads you are using? They look very similar.
Attached Images

Sephx1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 09:51 PM   #21
Christian1LE

Drives: 2004 BMW 330CI, 2022 1SS 1LE
Mine didn't have those drilled holes in it, so i'm not sure it's the same one you have.
Christian1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 10:22 PM   #22
TrackClub

Quote:
a higher heat pad means youre going from the xp12 to the xp18 which i stated. thats 1800º max operating temp pad to a 2100º+ pad.
Yes and going with a higher operating temp and higher torgue pad has consequences, as I had already stated. And unless one is fading a current pad, or switches to slicks, etc, there is no good reason to run a high MU pad on a street car and fry its components. Many threads on this forum on this subject from folks who have been tracking these cars past 6+ yrs. Dont mean to piss off anyone, just sharing my own experience of many track days with gen6 1LEs. Cheers! PS I ran a C5Z track car for a decade on slicks with AP brakes and DSUNOs and know what happens with high torque pads first hand
Old 03-31-2022, 12:30 AM   #23
synolimit

Quote:
Yes and going with a higher operating temp and higher torgue pad has consequences, as I had already stated. And unless one is fading a current pad, or switches to slicks, etc, there is no good reason to run a high MU pad on a street car and fry its components. Many threads on this forum on this subject from folks who have been tracking these cars past 6+ yrs. Dont mean to piss off anyone, just sharing my own experience of many track days with gen6 1LEs. Cheers! PS I ran a C5Z track car for a decade on slicks with AP brakes and DSUNOs and know what happens with high torque pads first hand
Quote:
since the OP is running the same pad on a heavier car WITHOUT ISSUE THEN ITS A NON ISSUE.
Old 03-31-2022, 10:59 AM   #24
TrackClub

Quote:

Bonking the head might help with selective memory, as I never said XP12 was an issue. But I responded to your suggestion to run even a more aggressive pad "becasue the car was 1000lb heavier".