Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 03-18-2018, 11:05 PM   #15
ddanj

Drives: 2018 1LS 1LE
Yea thanks for your great point. Really. Super valid and worth saying. I'll make sure to consult you before spending money on, anything really.
3100 - 08/19/2017 TPW 09/11/2017 | 4800 - 09/20/2017 train journey done
3400 - 08/25/2017 | 5000 - 09/22/2017 at the dealer, and picked up!
4300 - 09/12/2017 Built! VIN available
4B00 - 09/14/2017 move to rail yard
ddanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 11:37 PM   #16
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Did you even read the OP Tender Toes? He was puzzled why the V6 does not get more attention far as modding. What I stated was a valid point....was not saying anything bad about the V6. It's a great engine.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 02:00 AM   #17
boostednut

Drives: Nothing cool atm
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddanj View Post
These types of comments come up on every car forum
'well you might as well get X'.

There's plenty of reasons why people mod their cars. And this type of comment is useless.

I'm sorry but that's a troll post.
It's not a troll post. It's realism.

Look you can put on a blower and hurt the reliability of the car, and kill your warranty on your 30~k car. Maybe a bit less but with the blower it will be low 30's.

Spend a few thousand more, and you get more power, more future power potential, warranty, emissions friendly, and just way more reliable at the same power level.

Can a v6 supercharged live a long time? Absolutely.
Can it also just take a dump because you had bad fuel in it and the car was pushed further than you realized? Absolutely.
Can you run a super conservative tune to prevent failure, in exchange for any value HP per $? Absolutely.

I've worked with 6 cylinders. v6's and inline sixes. Built, watched fail stock or built, taken apart. Turbo, supercharged etc. When it gets into making power, more cylinders, with more rods, more pistons, more bearings to take the load, you're almost always going to be better off with a decent v8 over any 6 cylinder. Unless the v6's in this thing are built 90's toyota tough, they're not going to be a better option boosted than a v8. It's not even about displacement (although that certainly is a part), it's about handling the forces involved. Thermal load, physical load etc.

You could take an ss with flex fuel and headers to track, hpde or whatever. It will run all day until you run out of fuel or tires or both. The v6... I wouldn't want to be the one being the guinea pig to see if it can handle a track day. Or X number of pulls. It's not a proven engine in regards to forced induction. And that fact can bite you in the ass harder than you can imagine.

If you want to parade around about "being different" sure go ahead, spend your money however you want, but don't start crying when someone tells you something you don't want to hear. It's a concrete logical point of view.
boostednut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 02:34 PM   #18
AJL13

Drives: 2017 Camaro RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostednut View Post
When it gets into making power, more cylinders, with more rods, more pistons, more bearings to take the load, you're almost always going to be better off with a decent v8
Gosh darn it, it's too bad Formula 1 teams in the 1980s never ran 50-60 lbs of boost on tiny 4 cylinder engines or anything. Darn, "there's no replacement for displacement" attitude wins again
AJL13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 03:19 PM   #19
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostednut View Post
It's not a troll post. It's realism.

Look you can put on a blower and hurt the reliability of the car, and kill your warranty on your 30~k car. Maybe a bit less but with the blower it will be low 30's.

Spend a few thousand more, and you get more power, more future power potential, warranty, emissions friendly, and just way more reliable at the same power level.

Can a v6 supercharged live a long time? Absolutely.
Can it also just take a dump because you had bad fuel in it and the car was pushed further than you realized? Absolutely.
Can you run a super conservative tune to prevent failure, in exchange for any value HP per $? Absolutely.

I've worked with 6 cylinders. v6's and inline sixes. Built, watched fail stock or built, taken apart. Turbo, supercharged etc. When it gets into making power, more cylinders, with more rods, more pistons, more bearings to take the load, you're almost always going to be better off with a decent v8 over any 6 cylinder. Unless the v6's in this thing are built 90's toyota tough, they're not going to be a better option boosted than a v8. It's not even about displacement (although that certainly is a part), it's about handling the forces involved. Thermal load, physical load etc.

You could take an ss with flex fuel and headers to track, hpde or whatever. It will run all day until you run out of fuel or tires or both. The v6... I wouldn't want to be the one being the guinea pig to see if it can handle a track day. Or X number of pulls. It's not a proven engine in regards to forced induction. And that fact can bite you in the ass harder than you can imagine.

If you want to parade around about "being different" sure go ahead, spend your money however you want, but don't start crying when someone tells you something you don't want to hear. It's a concrete logical point of view.

While I agree with most of the points you make in your discussion it really is not the topic here. The topic is forced induction and the thread is specifically about a V6 forced induction kit. As far as I'm concerned saying you should get a V8 instead of installing a V6 forced induction kit is just like saying you should buy a ZL1 instead of installing forced induction on an LT1. Yeah, maybe, but to each his own. I will say those track rats obsessed with lowering mass generally avoid the v8's. I would bet the V6 1LE with a supercharger would be impressive on the tight tracks and could possibly lap faster than a V8 1LE.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 03:48 PM   #20
AJL13

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
No it's not the same because you can bolt a LT4 supercharger on a SS and have a faster car for 15-20k less then buying a ZL1. On the other hand by the time you buy a V6 RS and put a Centri blower on it, your basically at a SS price point, but the SS is a much better starting point if you want to mod.

As I stated earlier before the butt hurt got strong, I only mentioned it because the OP was curious why the V6 does not get more attention. This is why...I am not saying you shouldn't mod a V6 nor is it dumb, I am just saying why most opt for a SS if they are more focused on performance and modding. I think most would agree.
The butthurt wasn't strong until your stereotypical forum/facebook "V8 guys" started acting like stereotypical forum/facebook "V8 guys" in a thread about forced induction pertaining to V6s.

IMO, it makes more sense to mod the LGX because the LT1 SS is ALREADY fast. Just my two pennies though.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:55 PM   #21
Epx998
|Engineer|

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJL13 View Post
IMO, it makes more sense to mod the LGX because the LT1 SS is ALREADY fast. Just my two pennies though.
If you want to go faster, GM gave us tiers you can purchase for exactly this purpose. We have a choice between the I4, LGX, LT1 and LT4. Don't get mad at the LT1/4 for pointing this out because you bought the LGX and hit the modification ceiling too quickly.
Epx998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 03:55 PM   #22
AJL13

Anyhoo, back to the topic at hand, Dustya posted in the LGX forum that he ran a 12.8x, which was his very first run, and I think he did the run without track-prepping at all. Here's think to the thread: http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=521888
Old 03-21-2018, 03:57 PM   #23
AJL13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epx998 View Post
If you want to go faster, GM gave us tiers you can purchase for exactly this purpose. We have a choice between the I4, LGX, LT1 and LT4. Don't get mad at the LT1/4 for pointing this out because you bought the LGX and hit the modification ceiling too quickly.
I'm not mad, I chose the LGX over the LT1 for several reasons, none of which have to do with mod-ability.
Old 05-03-2018, 05:06 PM   #24
R3gga3tonboy

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Back to the original question....

So....back to the original question that was asked in this thread a year ago... lol
anyone else has gotten the supercharger for the LGX and run it without issues in the past year?

R3gga3tonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 07:26 AM   #25
BigPopp

Drives: 2016 1LT Convertible
I’m wondering if anyone in California has installed the supercharger (stage1 or stage2) on their V6 and if so were they able to pass smog with it.

Not saying I really want to get one, just curious if it’s a viable option for a daily driver in California. You never know, I may end up with $10k or so in the future to blow on doing something crazy with the car.
BigPopp is offline   Reply With Quote