Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 08-11-2022, 11:34 AM   #29
GunMetalGrey

Drives: Track prepped 2018 Camaro ZL1 (a10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by khcoaching View Post
I'm running a square set up with a slightly smaller diameter tire than stock, ZLE front calipers and Ferodo 3.12 pads on Giro rotors. I have seen more than 2000psi on data and no ice mode. That said, much has to do with how you apply the brakes initially and how warmed up your tires are. I can induce ABS if I want, with not warmed up tires (especially 3Rs) or too aggressive of an initial brake application.

Ken
Hi, this was my 4th session of the morning with 30 minute breaks between each session, I was using Trofeo R's for the first time, if you watch the video and my other vids which I have been comparing side by side,(as well as my other braking incidents that I have not posted) it seems to me at least that the brakes initially work great, and then start massively fading/failing about 1 second into braking with as little as 8 to 11 percent steering angle... I'm not sure that is enough to cause "ice mode" of not... plus I would think if it were "ice mode" it would do it right away, not part way in, no?

I'll work on getting the other example vids posted to YouTube
Old 08-11-2022, 11:55 AM   #30
GunMetalGrey

Here they are, all seem virtually identical to me, the brakes initially bite hard and work great but then fade/fail about 1 second in, right before I start getting a steering angle of 20 degrees or higher, but I'd be happy to hear others thoughts on this, I appreciate all of the responses and feedback

Old 08-11-2022, 12:01 PM   #31
GunMetalGrey

Here are my fast lap comparison vids where I have no issues with the brakes, if anyone wants to watch, I don't blame you if you don't but if you want to critique my driving in regards to "ice mode", then you should watch these first so you have a comparison Remember, I'm trying to determine if I'm some how causing "ice mode"

Old 08-11-2022, 12:30 PM   #32
Christian1LE

Drives: 2004 BMW 330CI, 2022 1SS 1LE
I don't doubt you're getting ice mode, no way your brakes are overheating. It's not your fluid.

I've driven my car hard for close to 1 hour at VIR north without any brake issues, but I've also experienced ice mode randomly before. You should try to get the module updated. Seems like any braking zone where you trail brake at high speeds has a tendency to activate ice mode.

Your driving seems fine, you're pushing the car hard and breaking late, as you should be.
Christian1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 01:00 PM   #33
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian1LE View Post
I don't doubt you're getting ice mode, no way your brakes are overheating. It's not your fluid.

I've driven my car hard for close to 1 hour at VIR north without any brake issues, but I've also experienced ice mode randomly before. You should try to get the module updated. Seems like any braking zone where you trail brake at high speeds has a tendency to activate ice mode.

Your driving seems fine, you're pushing the car hard and breaking late, as you should be.
Thanks for the feedback, I do agree it does seem random which does support the "ice mode" theory, I've ordered a new EBCM module for $2000 CAD, well worth it IMO!
Old 08-11-2022, 01:12 PM   #34
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMetalGrey View Post
Thanks for the feedback, I do agree it does seem random which does support the "ice mode" theory, I've ordered a new EBCM module for $2000 CAD, well worth it IMO!
Wow, that is pricey! Did you give the dealer a VIN number from a '19+ car?
Old 08-11-2022, 01:32 PM   #35
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
Wow, that is pricey! Did you give the dealer a VIN number from a '19+ car?
$2000 Canadian, that’s probably about $1500 USD… I know the service manager so he’s taking care of it all for me using the info you gave me about same model and options
Thanks again!
Old 08-11-2022, 01:58 PM   #36
5.M0NSTER

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Keep us posted, and I hope it takes care of it. Not having confidence in your brakes is a terrible feeling. Will ruin a track day.
5.M0NSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 02:11 PM   #37
SATINSTEEL1LE
Account Suspended

Drives: 21 ZL1
Im sorry man, but you are pushing way past the apex and trying to fix it with brakes. This is all technique. Scrub speed and light brake into the apex only if you have to. You are using the gas/brake as an on/off switch. Probably boiling the fluid. The 1LE might be track focused, but its not a real race car...

This video alone you blew right past the breaking zone, then overturned and caused severe understeer while digging too hard into the brakes.

https://youtu.be/7aZ3yl-L7OA
SATINSTEEL1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 02:21 PM   #38
That1guy_tim

Drives: Camaro 1ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMetalGrey View Post
2000 CAD! couldn't you have bought a BOSCH MoSport ABS module for that price?
Old 08-11-2022, 02:39 PM   #39
Christian1LE

Drives: 2004 BMW 330CI, 2022 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATINSTEEL1LE View Post
Im sorry man, but you are pushing way past the apex and trying to fix it with brakes. This is all technique. Scrub speed and light brake into the apex only if you have to. You are using the gas/brake as an on/off switch. Probably boiling the fluid. The 1LE might be track focused, but its not a real race car...

This video alone you blew right past the breaking zone, then overturned and caused severe understeer while digging too hard into the brakes.

I'm sorry but this makes no sense. If his fluid was boiling there would be a while different set of symptoms. Boiling fluid = foot to the floor or spongy pedal that you have to pump to make them come back. Braking late, braking hard won't make Castrol srf fluid boil. The understeer was a symptom of the problem not the cause.
Christian1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 04:12 PM   #40
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATINSTEEL1LE View Post

Sorry man, but you need re-read my last reply again, no one is arguing that the corner was done perfectly... If you watched my other videos, especially my 1:20.12 lap you'll see I also over shot corner 4 by a bit from carrying in too much speed and ended up with 2 wheels over the rumble strip, the difference was my brakes were still working which is why I did not almost hit the wall and end up in the gravel... I started this thread to address the brakes so i would not crash, not perfecting my driving which is a work in progress

https://youtu.be/rf90_ETCcLk

Last edited by GunMetalGrey; 08-11-2022 at 06:43 PM.
GunMetalGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 04:13 PM   #41
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by That1guy_tim View Post
2000 CAD! couldn't you have bought a BOSCH MoSport ABS module for that price?
Yeah I don't know anything about those, I assume it is an upgrade over stock? haha just want the most simple straight forward fix for now, I'm tired of all the problems this car has had included fuel starvation issues...
Old 08-11-2022, 04:55 PM   #42
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian1LE View Post
I'm sorry but this makes no sense. If his fluid was boiling there would be a while different set of symptoms. Boiling fluid = foot to the floor or spongy pedal that you have to pump to make them come back. Braking late, braking hard won't make Castrol srf fluid boil. The understeer was a symptom of the problem not the cause.
I agree, now that I think about it, why else would my brakes start working again so quickly and feel totally fine on the track and the drive home like nothing ever happened.