Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-31-2021, 06:38 AM   #1
biker2k

Drives: 2018 2ss 1le
npp re-learn

so i have my stainless works axle back installed....
sounds great in loud mode....

problem is the npp valve does not close all the way, so quiet mode is just mildly discernable at idle and driving around there is no difference in sound at all. If i clog up the outer exhaust its actually very quiet. I called them and they said that the. valve should close all the way.

now at some point because i had the npp rattle (which turned out to be a broken baffle in my stock muffler) i trimmed the ears off of one side of each of the npp actuators. in theory this should have no effect on how far my valve opens and closes especially because i made sure there is no play at all in valve to actuator by squeezing tabs to make a tight fit.

stainless works said that 1 in 10 exhausts need to go to the dealer to relearn where open and closed is..

my dealer (clueless as usual) seems to have no idea what i am talking about and is telling me i might have to purchase software that they install in my car?

anyway has any one ever had this re learn done, if so how much did they pay and what did the dealer call it or am i not thinking straight and maybe i should just pick up some new actuators?
Old 03-31-2021, 07:51 AM   #2
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
They can definitely do the relearn. I don't know what to tell you except to find someone there who knows, or try a different dealer. It is built into the Tech 2 somewhere. There is a service bulletin on this specific repair, but all it does is tell the tech that they have to "Relearn the valves" if you remove the screw.

-Geoff
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 08:56 AM   #3
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
Risk of taking it in for this and having that mod list you have there...assuming it's something you'd pay out of pocket; no warranty...?
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 09:08 AM   #4
biker2k

i dont expect them to cover this under warranty..
and i am completely sure they are not gonna warranty my powertrain anymore....
Old 04-07-2021, 02:21 PM   #5
easttxss

Drives: '16 2SS M6
I just had mine done by a GMC tech that does side work. I was having him program a new HVAC module and mentioned the exhaust valves to him while he had his laptop hooked up. Mine would make a growling sound when in accessory mode and when he looked at it, the computer said they were out of range. He simply hit the 'relearn' button at the bottom of the screen. No more noise now.
'14 Fusion Titanium 2.0T
'83 Jeep Wagoneer
easttxss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 10:43 AM   #6
biker2k

2 weeks later and dealer still has no answer on this..

i guess i gotta go to a dealer further away