Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

AWE Tuning

Old 11-08-2020, 08:51 AM   #29
Timbo-1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Was a bit better at Daytona. I would say less. "Difference" in shifting between cold - warm - hot... More consistent...
Timbo-1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 11:15 PM   #30
SloCal

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE
Ok gang how are things looking with the 2-3 shift on track with the tremec mtf? Any more feedback/ experience?

2nd 6th gen
SPL Toe Arms/Brembo HTC64t/Corsa NPP/Tremec MTF Fluid
SloCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 02:16 PM   #31
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloCal View Post
Ok gang how are things looking with the 2-3 shift on track with the tremec mtf? Any more feedback/ experience?

I have been running the Tremec fluid for a year now.

Since the swap...I have run the FIRM, VIR, Sebring, Roebling and PBIR.

Shift has maintained a smooth feel. I haven't noticed any issues with 2-3 shifts when cold or hot.

Also run a significant number of AutoX events (including ProSolo) since the swap.

I'll be changing fluid again (with Tremec) in April.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 04:40 PM   #32
Redlinez
Shifts under load

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE rally green
Just saw it's back in stock at Tremec, ordered! Thanks for the info and link!
Redlinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 09:47 PM   #33
SloCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewAMEL View Post
I have been running the Tremec fluid for a year now.

Since the swap...I have run the FIRM, VIR, Sebring, Roebling and PBIR.

Shift has maintained a smooth feel. I haven't noticed any issues with 2-3 shifts when cold or hot.

Also run a significant number of AutoX events (including ProSolo) since the swap.

I'll be changing fluid again (with Tremec) in April.
Thanks mate just ordered yesterday and talked to Tremec on phone today. they couldn't recommend it and said it's designed for aftermarket applications.

One thing that caught my eye is how much higher the viscosity is. It is truly not similar to the ATF that is recommended by manual.

Have u had 2-3 shift problems on track before. And if so would you say it was immediately remedied by Tremec mtf?

2nd 6th gen
Old 02-16-2021, 10:33 PM   #34
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
Agree, the Tremec fluid is definitely a higher viscosity than the OEM and other numerous ATF fluids that forum members like to run. So why then is the Tremec fluid an acceptable choice if Tremec's own tech data sheet for the TR6060 recommends ATF fluid?

Tried to call Tremec a few weeks ago to ask them this, but nobody was answering the phone during normal business hours.
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 12:16 AM   #35
MatthewAMEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by N Camarolina View Post
Agree, the Tremec fluid is definitely a higher viscosity than the OEM and other numerous ATF fluids that forum members like to run. So why then is the Tremec fluid an acceptable choice if Tremec's own tech data sheet for the TR6060 recommends ATF fluid?

Tried to call Tremec a few weeks ago to ask them this, but nobody was answering the phone during normal business hours.

IMHO, you are caught between GM and Tremec. GM sources the units from Tremec, but doesn't want to use Tremec specific fluid. GM wants a common fluid that is easier to store, ship, and train techs on.

So, Tremec says Dexron is an acceptable fluid in the -6060. If there is a warranty issue, it's GM replacing it, not Tremec.

If you purchase a transmission (ANY transmission) from Tremec, they want you to use the HP-MTF.

In fact...the 1st line in the product description is:

High quality transmission fluid suitable for use in any TREMEC transmission.

https://www.tremec-store.com/collect...smission-fluid

https://www.tremec.com/menu/manual-transmission-fluid/

For reference...the TR-6060 is the OEM designation for the Tremec Magnum. The reference for the Magnum says use HP-MTF.

Personally, I believe my car sees moderate usage. I put on few street miles, but I do AutoX/HPDE frequently. One of my routines is a regular change of all fluids/consumables. I change my diff every six months, and the transmission fluid once a year. I haven't done any research into the longevity of the HP-MTF vs Dexron, because I cycle through it quickly. That may be a consideration if you plan on using GM's service interval.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
Old 02-17-2021, 11:25 AM   #36
SloCal

Quote:
IMHO, you are caught between GM and Tremec. GM sources the units from Tremec, but doesn't want to use Tremec specific fluid. GM wants a common fluid that is easier to store, ship, and train techs on.

So, Tremec says Dexron is an acceptable fluid in the -6060. If there is a warranty issue, it's GM replacing it, not Tremec.

If you purchase a transmission (ANY transmission) from Tremec, they want you to use the HP-MTF.

In fact...the 1st line in the product description is:

High quality transmission fluid suitable for use in any TREMEC transmission.

https://www.tremec-store.com/collect...smission-fluid

https://www.tremec.com/menu/manual-transmission-fluid/

For reference...the TR-6060 is the OEM designation for the Tremec Magnum. The reference for the Magnum says use HP-MTF.

Personally, I believe my car sees moderate usage. I put on few street miles, but I do AutoX/HPDE frequently. One of my routines is a regular change of all fluids/consumables. I change my diff every six months, and the transmission fluid once a year. I haven't done any research into the longevity of the HP-MTF vs Dexron, because I cycle through it quickly. That may be a consideration if you plan on using GM's service interval.
Yeah this all tracks it's just very weird how confusing the recs are on this. My trans feels like shit right now on track with redline d4 and i am constantly gettinglocked out of 3rd at 6500rpm.

Tremec rep kept defaulting to gm rec and said they did all their nvh and track testing with atf etc. but I am worried i'm going to overrev my car into 1st on track with these terrible shift lockouts so trying something new.

One thing also confusing me is the GM synchromesh manual fluid is much closer weight to this tremec stuff not sure i've seen anyone on here run that but they do on c7 forum. viscosity is similar. Wondering if this provides the better shifting at higher rpms i need with warranty friendly fluid.

Can't see tremec fluid causing malfunciton in my trans so going to try it for a bit.

Those of you running it - have you guys been filling it up to the brim of fill plug or taking 8oz. Tremec rep I spoke to again defaulted to GM rec but said expansion properties are differrent. Lot of confusion...

2nd 6th gen
Old 02-17-2021, 01:27 PM   #37
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
I've been using Mobil1 ATF and 2-3 shifts are much better. Last event was 3 days long and only had 1 hiccup. I change it almost as much as the oil.
carguy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 01:47 PM   #38
SloCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy55 View Post
I've been using Mobil1 ATF and 2-3 shifts are much better. Last event was 3 days long and only had 1 hiccup. I change it almost as much as the oil.
Did you have the 2-3 high rpm lockout issue before you changed? I'm wondering if there is any difference between my redline D4 atf in car now and mobil 1. Wanted to totally shift to mtf but if it solved the same issue for you since I know you track a lot...

2nd 6th gen
Old 02-17-2021, 01:52 PM   #39
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Did you have the 2-3 high rpm lockout issue before you changed? I'm wondering if there is any difference between my redline D4 atf in car now and mobil 1. Wanted to totally shift to mtf but if it solved the same issue for you since I know you track a lot...
The OEM stuff was very bad including doing the 2-3. Redline D4 was making it nice and smooth but was still having some 2-3 issues. So far fewer issues with Mobil1 on track.
carguy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 02:01 PM   #40
SloCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy55 View Post
The OEM stuff was very bad including doing the 2-3. Redline D4 was making it nice and smooth but was still having some 2-3 issues. So far fewer issues with Mobil1 on track.
Interesting and good to know. And you're still taking out 8oz with both D4 and the mobil1?

Might order mobil1 to test as well after tremec mf

And Matthew: are you filling tremec all the way up to fill plug/till it comes out or taking out 8oz from max capacity?

2nd 6th gen
Old 02-17-2021, 06:20 PM   #41
MatthewAMEL

Quote:
Interesting and good to know. And you're still taking out 8oz with both D4 and the mobil1?

Might order mobil1 to test as well after tremec mf

And Matthew: are you filling tremec all the way up to fill plug/till it comes out or taking out 8oz from max capacity?
The first change I did about 4oz because I knew there was still dexron in the cooler and lines. After that, I have filled until full.

BTW - I was also really unhappy with Redline D4. It’s one of the reasons I went to Tremec for an alternative.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
Old 02-17-2021, 09:30 PM   #42
SloCal

Quote:
The first change I did about 4oz because I knew there was still dexron in the cooler and lines. After that, I have filled until full.

BTW - I was also really unhappy with Redline D4. It’s one of the reasons I went to Tremec for an alternative.
Got it thanks thats very helpful I'll probably do similar next week when I dump the D4 for it.

Were your problems mostly around high rpm 1-2 2-3 shifts with D4? I have been actively avoiding 2nd gear in low speed corners because NLS 2-3 has been on the verge of catastrophe at recent track events

Thanks for your input on this

2nd 6th gen