Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 07-07-2020, 09:24 AM   #1
devin.0824

Drives: Chevy Camaro 2SS
More Traction

I just bought my first camaro. I am looking for a way to get more traction on take off. I want to put wider tires but i dont know what i need to buy to make that happen. I would appreciate some of your guys help. Thanks
devin.0824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 09:45 AM   #2
RyanR623

Drives: SS A8, NPP, Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by devin.0824 View Post
I just bought my first camaro. I am looking for a way to get more traction on take off. I want to put wider tires but i dont know what i need to buy to make that happen. I would appreciate some of your guys help. Thanks
Buy some stickier tires. What is on there now?
RyanR623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 04:50 PM   #3
Altered Carbon
Ghost Spawn

Drives: Camaro
Some wider wheels, like 10.5"-11" in the rear, and 305-315 tires. I would say Mickey Thompson S/Ss or Toyo R888Rs. Also, remember it's not just the width of the tire, but a taller and softer/more flexible sidewall. If it's on stock wheels, I personally would still go with the brands I mentioned, just a smaller size, like 285. Michelin Pilot Sport 4Ss are good too.
Altered Carbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 06:58 PM   #4
chaospiece

Drives: 2018 SS, 2016 GT
I have 305 PS4s on zl1 rims, they grip alot better. I used to spin the wheels on downshifts to 2nd, now it slaps down.
chaospiece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 11:44 PM   #5
19 2SS

Drives: 2019 camaro 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altered Carbon View Post
Some wider wheels, like 10.5"-11" in the rear, and 305-315 tires. I would say Mickey Thompson S/Ss or Toyo R888Rs. Also, remember it's not just the width of the tire, but a taller and softer/more flexible sidewall. If it's on stock wheels, I personally would still go with the brands I mentioned, just a smaller size, like 285. Michelin Pilot Sport 4Ss are good too.
Yep I have the Michelin ps4s in 285 on stock wheels, you can easily notice the difference between them and the stock Goodyear’s
19 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 11:46 PM   #6
delthawk5

Drives: 2019 2SS Crush
Michelin ps4s
delthawk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 06:42 AM   #7
Booher

Drives: 2019 zl1 6 speed
I beg to differ, although ps4s are amazing for turning and going around a race track. They are not very good for launching or the dragstrip. I constantly have trouble not spinning the tires from a from a dead stop, and many others on the forum have said the same thing. Im full bolt on, so nothing too crazy power wise, with 295's in the rear. I suggest going to the wheels tire section, or dragstrip section and doing a bit more research. R triple 8's seems to have a much better review for 0-60 times. I just don't want you to do what I did and spend nearly $1700 for tires that weren't made for what you are wanting.
Booher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 08:48 AM   #8
delthawk5

Drives: 2019 2SS Crush
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booher View Post
I beg to differ, although ps4s are amazing for turning and going around a race track. They are not very good for launching or the dragstrip. I constantly have trouble not spinning the tires from a from a dead stop, and many others on the forum have said the same thing. Im full bolt on, so nothing too crazy power wise, with 295's in the rear. I suggest going to the wheels tire section, or dragstrip section and doing a bit more research. R triple 8's seems to have a much better review for 0-60 times. I just don't want you to do what I did and spend nearly $1700 for tires that weren't made for what you are wanting.
Tires have a break-in period and need to be properly warmed up before performance use. So if your life involves waking up at 5am and doing 1/4 miles on your way to your job at the drag strip in 40F weather then yeah, PS4S aren't the right tires for you. They're hands down the best daily driving by tires by all measurable accounts (performance vs rain/threadwear/cost) and come stock on street cars with way more power than ours. That's what this post is asking for.
delthawk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 09:39 AM   #9
foshjowler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T, 91 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by delthawk5 View Post
Tires have a break-in period and need to be properly warmed up before performance use. So if your life involves waking up at 5am and doing 1/4 miles on your way to your job at the drag strip in 40F weather then yeah, PS4S aren't the right tires for you. They're hands down the best daily driving by tires by all measurable accounts (performance vs rain/threadwear/cost) and come stock on street cars with way more power than ours. That's what this post is asking for.
While the PS4S is the best daily driver street tire that can handle some competitive driving, at the end of the day it is a street tire first. If someone is willing to make compromises in things like NVH, tire life, and wet performance to achieve better dry grip, there are far better options. I would make the argument that the PS4S isn't the best at much of anything, it's competent to good at a lot of things.

Youtube Channel

foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 10:05 AM   #10
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
You could just buy OEM 1LE rims and tires.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 11:01 AM   #11
Booher

Drives: 2019 zl1 6 speed
He actually said that he's looking for more grip on take off. I'm not arguing that they are bad tires, they are good for what they are made for, but for launching in any temperature they suck. I've put over 10,000 miles on mine, been through two pairs on the back due to a screw, and rather brand new, worn, warmed up or not, they don't launch well. Please don't spread mis information without doing your research first. There are numerous posts in this very forum that back what I'm stating.
Booher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 12:19 PM   #12
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
No matter the tire it's pretty hard to not spin even a max summer 305 tire when you have 455hp there. I'd focus more on the compound over width as a general rule but up to a pretty low point it's driver and not the tire.
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 06:25 PM   #13
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booher View Post
He actually said that he's looking for more grip on take off. I'm not arguing that they are bad tires, they are good for what they are made for, but for launching in any temperature they suck. I've put over 10,000 miles on mine, been through two pairs on the back due to a screw, and rather brand new, worn, warmed up or not, they don't launch well. Please don't spread mis information without doing your research first. There are numerous posts in this very forum that back what I'm stating.
So you think stock SS tires launch better than 1LE tires?

As far as research goes does two years, two sets of Goodyear’s then a set of Michelins on a 2016 SS plus two years, and two sets of Goodyear’s on a 2018 SS 1LE count? Or must I depend on what others report rather than my own experience?

Last edited by Wyzz Kydd; 07-08-2020 at 06:38 PM.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 06:45 PM   #14
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
straight line...? throw a set of drag radials on it. the goodyear sc3 tires hook hard but only in 5% of the scenarios, the rest of the time it’s too early in the day, too cool, raining, or literally anything and everything else that can cause trouble.

but that 1 time you go out at the end of a summer day and clean them off before a 0-60 hit... you’ll be impressed.

Tags
tires, traction, tread, wheels