Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 07-04-2020, 04:14 PM   #1
MartinLe

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 M6
Aftermarket Performance Meter

Not all 2017 ZL1's come with a PDR. I would have bought the car anyway, but I thought I had read somewhere that the PDR was offered on all '17 ZL1's

Anyhow, I bought the Pro SS model from G-Tech. It seems to work ok. Any thoughts or recommendations for other performance recorders?

Sorry, I think I put this post in the wrong place. I can't figure out how to delete it

Last edited by MartinLe; 07-04-2020 at 04:43 PM. Reason: misplaced thread
MartinLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 06:30 PM   #2
nighttowl
Sarcasm loading --------

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
PDR was an option on all zl1's, not standard equipment.

2018 MBM ZL1 1LE - Stock
2014 CRT ZL1 574 rwhp, 537 rwtq - SOLD
2010 IBM SS Camaro VVT L99 w/ TR6060 swap, 489 rwhp, 444 rwtq - SOLD
nighttowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 09:34 PM   #3
NiteBlitz

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinLe View Post
Not all 2017 ZL1's come with a PDR. I would have bought the car anyway, but I thought I had read somewhere that the PDR was offered on all '17 ZL1's

Anyhow, I bought the Pro SS model from G-Tech. It seems to work ok. Any thoughts or recommendations for other performance recorders?

Sorry, I think I put this post in the wrong place. I can't figure out how to delete it

I was wondering the same thing. I was trying to look into something that goes in the obd port and logs the data but I have yet to stumble across something
NiteBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 11:36 AM   #4
MartinLe

Check out G-Tech Pro SS.
Old 07-06-2020, 09:02 AM   #5
NiteBlitz

Quote:
Check out G-Tech Pro SS.
Was looking into this
Waylens Horizon Dash Cam with obd connection
Old 07-06-2020, 10:24 AM   #6
MartinLe

I've read somewhere that using the OBD port for data collection is not optimal. The speed of the data transfer is too slow for accurate logging of information. I don't know if this is correct, it may just be a marketing ploy? After I bought the G-Tech, I found these reviews (see below). They are quite dated, but I think they give a good picture of the company. The latest model appears to be the end result of years of design and testing. I had some questions that I submitted to the company and I received a call from Jovo Majstorovic, inventor/founder of the G-Tech. He told me that his product is used by, I think he said Mercedes Benz and other high profile car manufacturers. Anyhow, he convinced me to continue to use his product. A good salesman or a superior product? Only time will tell. Check out these links: http://www.sub5zero.com/g-techpro-ss...ltimate-gauge/ and https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...-work-feature/. A final thought, what ultimately sold me on the product was the claim of using a 50 Hz GPS engine to track the performance of the vehicle. That tells me the unit should be highly accurate.
Old 07-06-2020, 12:48 PM   #7
NiteBlitz

Quote:
I've read somewhere that using the OBD port for data collection is not optimal. The speed of the data transfer is too slow for accurate logging of information. I don't know if this is correct, it may just be a marketing ploy? After I bought the G-Tech, I found these reviews (see below). They are quite dated, but I think they give a good picture of the company. The latest model appears to be the end result of years of design and testing. I had some questions that I submitted to the company and I received a call from Jovo Majstorovic, inventor/founder of the G-Tech. He told me that his product is used by, I think he said Mercedes Benz and other high profile car manufacturers. Anyhow, he convinced me to continue to use his product. A good salesman or a superior product? Only time will tell. Check out these links: http://www.sub5zero.com/g-techpro-ss...ltimate-gauge/ and https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...-work-feature/. A final thought, what ultimately sold me on the product was the claim of using a 50 Hz GPS engine to track the performance of the vehicle. That tells me the unit should be highly accurate.
Reading those links now the halfway through the car and driver one.

Heres the one I was looking at,

Video is just an example I found on youtube.
Old 07-06-2020, 01:50 PM   #8
NiteBlitz

Just ordered the pro rr version. Will see how it goes. Selected two day shipping so hopefully will arrive by Wednesday
Old 07-07-2020, 04:46 PM   #9
MartinLe

Cool. Let me know how it works for you.
Old 07-07-2020, 05:59 PM   #10
NiteBlitz

Quote:
Cool. Let me know how it works for you.
Arriving Friday, will test it out over the weekend and keep you posted. I am also curious how accurate the hp and torque measurements are, and if they are consistent I plan on adding some boostane fuel additive to get my octane up to about 100 and see if it does any difference.
Old 07-07-2020, 07:09 PM   #11
MartinLe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteBlitz View Post
Arriving Friday, will test it out over the weekend and keep you posted. I am also curious how accurate the hp and torque measurements are, and if they are consistent I plan on adding some boostane fuel additive to get my octane up to about 100 and see if it does any difference.
Remember, HP is just a number derived from torque and the measurement of torque is not an exact science. One extra click on the tie-down straps can take away from the measurement. Mine registered 493 on a Mustang Dyno. I see figures of 550 -560 on Dynojets. The G-Tech can be adjusted in many areas. (The only down side to owning this unit is that they haven't published an owner's manual. They say it will be a couple of months until it comes out.) Anyhow, the unit is preset with a 15% powertrain loss and a number I can't remember for the coefficient of drag and frontal area. I have made a couple of HP runs and it comes surprisingly close to the numbers I got from the dyno. Just as a suggestion, I would practice with the device until I got proficient at getting the same numbers on runs back to back and day to day. You know, same time of day, same atmospheric conditions, etc. Without such a baseline, any numbers you get will be meaningless. I imagined that it would be simple with this meter. WRONG! It takes a lot of time and effort to get any reliable performance data . Good luck and keep me posted.
Old 07-08-2020, 06:55 PM   #12
NiteBlitz

Came in earlier. Seems to be defective. Can’t find gps signal. Been driving for 30 straight minutes. When I go on gps settings screen it finds no more then 4 satellites but doesn’t connect to any. Also has a rattle when you shake it. Kind of like a loose screw inside.
Old 07-09-2020, 03:07 PM   #13
MartinLe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteBlitz View Post
Came in earlier. Seems to be defective. Can’t find gps signal. Been driving for 30 straight minutes. When I go on gps settings screen it finds no more then 4 satellites but doesn’t connect to any. Also has a rattle when you shake it. Kind of like a loose screw inside.
Did you connect the antennae? And if it seems that there is something loose in the unit, I would return it. Make sure you follow the company's return policy. Mine has worked well.
Old 07-09-2020, 03:23 PM   #14
NiteBlitz

Quote:
Did you connect the antennae? And if it seems that there is something loose in the unit, I would return it. Make sure you follow the company's return policy. Mine has worked well.
Yes I tried connecting the external antenna. It improved signal and found about 6 satellites but it did not want to make a connection with any of them. Yea something is noticeably loose inside. It also does not hold a charge. As soon as the car turns off it goes off. When I start the car I get the message that the almanac or something needs 30 minutes to build. I emailed them yesterday, on their website contact from as well as the email listed for technical support. Have yet to hear back. Kind of nervous to be honest, and disappointed. Was excited to give the unit a try. Really wanted it for this saturday as I was debating on hitting up the drag strip. I also read their return policy stating I would have to pay shipping. But that does not mention anything about defective items.