Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-17-2019, 05:51 PM   #253
Realist

Drives: No Camaro :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
...and gues what else? The non-union workers will get a bump in pay thanks to the union strike and contract. Without the union contract and so-called "high wages" there would be no reason to pay any non-union worker a decent amount at all in comparison. Thanks to the union, even the non-union workers will get a pay raise, and probably the workers in Mexico will do better as well.
I'm glad the strike is over and hope the membership will ratify the new contract.
And guess what else. Over time GM will continue to lose market share and less UAW employed. It may take 5 plus years but it will happen.
Realist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 05:54 PM   #254
Realist

Drives: No Camaro :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZarusSS View Post
As you said. Unions set the prevailing wages. I'm sure you non union guys love getting on those state and government job contracts where you have to be paid the prevailing wage or do you hate that because unions set that rate.Yeah thought so
I’m non-union and don’t do any business or work with the State or Government. But what you just stated above is why states like IL and our Fed Government run in the negative.
Realist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 06:11 PM   #255
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
Quote:
As you said. Unions set the prevailing wages. I'm sure you non union guys love getting on those state and government job contracts where you have to be paid the prevailing wage or do you hate that because unions set that rate.Yeah thought so
What I hate is having to pay the taxes to cover those jobs. I always thought it was ridiculous waste when I had to bid on them.
95 imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 08:39 PM   #256
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
Quote:
It's great to arbitrarily set wages. **** economics.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 10:54 PM   #257
18LTLoveIt

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue LT RS
Glad I got my 2019 Impala before the bru ha ha strike and backlog. I used to be in a union in the mid 80's to mid 90 with fair wages & free healthcare. I barely make more than the same wage all these years later & pay for healthcare with a sky high deductible. Thank Heavens I have a pension from that Union job (another thing that has gone the way of the doe doe bird).

18LTLoveIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 08:55 AM   #258
6sigma

Drives: rally green LT1 manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
...and gues what else? The non-union workers will get a bump in pay thanks to the union strike and contract. Without the union contract and so-called "high wages" there would be no reason to pay any non-union worker a decent amount at all in comparison. Thanks to the union, even the non-union workers will get a pay raise, and probably the workers in Mexico will do better as well.
I'm glad the strike is over and hope the membership will ratify the new contract.
Yeah, who cares about economics. Force artificially high labor costs through strikes and watch the jobs disappear. Why do you think GM, Ford, FCA are trying like hell to move production to Mexico? The UAW (and unions in general) are dinosaurs and will eventually go extinct. Iron shackles tied to the legs of American manufacturing.

What about the thousands of American workers in the supply chain that just got s**t on by the UAW? They are laid off or furloughed now, with no income, because the UAW brothers and sisters decided they want even more pay and benefits on top of their already highest paid status. These fellow Americans just want to go to work but lost their jobs because the UAW decided to stop working.

Why is the UAW picketing GM dealerships in Detroit? WTF do they have to do with this? They are trying to sell the product that pays for all these high wages and benefits that the UAW is demanding and the UAW decides to go s**t on their front porch. Great way to support your fellow Americans.

What about the 10 UAW leaders that are indited by the FBI for fraud and embezzlement, stealing millions from the very workers they represent? Woops got caught with their hand in the workers cookie jar. Looks like the us vs them attitude exists even within the union. Union leadership against the workers.

The UAW says f**k everyone else, I want mine and as much as I can get and I'm going to play the victim and wrap myself in the American flag and solidarity with union brothers and sisters fighting for a fair wage. And they are already the highest paid workers in the industry, but it's not enough. The UAW is strangling the golden goose, the very thing that is giving them their jobs and money, but they don't care because they want as much as they can get right now. F**k everyone else behind them or in later years - who cares about American manufacturing jobs - they clearly don't since they are willing to kill future jobs in exchange for more money and benefits for them right now.
6sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 09:02 AM   #259
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitdr774 View Post
The part is in a GM warehouse. The warehouse employees are UAW and are on strike as well.
This is partly true, some warehouses are running out of some parts, no new parts are coming in.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 12:22 PM   #260
Mighty Mouce
Banned

Drives: Camaro
This thread has just become too antagonistic and un PC.

Moderator..LOCK THIS THREAD!
Mighty Mouce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 01:50 PM   #261
3.8TransAM

Drives: SS 1LE, 89 TTA, 91 GTA, 91 Formula
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Mouce View Post
This thread has just become too antagonistic and un PC.

Moderator..LOCK THIS THREAD!

It could be argued un American as well.

Kind of serves like a shining example of so much of what is wrong with the country today.

It's okay to screw everyone else as long as you get yours. Don't hope for the guys battling a corporation to get theirs(even when they gave up to help prior).

Perfectly acceptable to send your money overseas so they have jobs and the guys down the block don't. Makes a lot of sense.

I'm still willing to bet all the stunning and brave folks here could not work an assembly line for a year or turn wrenches and make a career out of it. Sounds like most have fallen right into the trap of I gotz a degree so I deserve to make more than you.
3.8TransAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 01:54 PM   #262
Mighty Mouce
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.8TransAM View Post
It could be argued un American as well.

Kind of serves like a shining example of so much of what is wrong with the country today.

It's okay to screw everyone else as long as you get yours. Don't hope for the guys battling a corporation to get theirs(even when they gave up to help prior).

Perfectly acceptable to send your money overseas so they have jobs and the guys down the block don't. Makes a lot of sense.

I'm still willing to bet all the stunning and brave folks here could not work an assembly line for a year or turn wrenches and make a career out of it. Sounds like most have fallen right into the trap of I gotz a degree so I deserve to make more than you.
Agreed.
Mighty Mouce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 04:53 PM   #263
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
does anyone know how much european auto factory workers make in US dollars?
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 05:25 PM   #264
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.8TransAM View Post
Perhaps you haven’t looked at an automobile assembly line in the last 30 years.

Forget how highly automated they all are, there is no point on any line of any massed produced car on the planet in 2019 where anyone needs to even “pick up a wrench”. All the bolts are driven using air or electric drivers and the torque specs are preset. Lifting assemblies like doors, dashboards, and wheels are done with hydraulic assistant equipment. The line worker just guides them into place with whats essentially a computer game joystick and uses the air or electric socket to drive in the bolts to spec. Heck the lug nut drivers have all 5 on one gun - all the worker has to do is grab a handful of lug nuts out of the bin, put them on the stems, grab the driver and boom all 5 nuts are driven in at the same time right to torque spec!

There are many points on a line where a worker literally sits in a chair all day!!

You really need to hit YouTube and watch the “How It’s Made” series on the Camaro plant in East Lansing and the Corvette plant in Bowling Green.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 05:38 PM   #265
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by protovack View Post
does anyone know how much european auto factory workers make in US dollars?
With a mandatory 36 hour work week, government paid healthcare and government pensions it a tough comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
Perhaps you haven’t looked at an automobile assembly line in the last 30 years.

Forget how highly automated they all are, there is no point on any line of any massed produced car on the planet in 2019 where anyone needs to even “pick up a wrench”. All the bolts are driven using air or electric drivers and the torque specs are preset. Lifting assemblies like doors, dashboards, and wheels are done with hydraulic assistant equipment. The line worker just guides them into place with whats essentially a computer game joystick and uses the air or electric socket to drive in the bolts to spec. Heck the lug nut drivers have all 5 on one gun - all the worker has to do is grab a handful of lug nuts out of the bin, put them on the stems, grab the driver and boom all 5 nuts are driven in at the same time right to torque spec!

There are many points on a line where a worker literally sits in a chair all day!!

You really need to hit YouTube and watch the “How It’s Made” series on the Camaro plant in East Lansing and the Corvette plant in Bowling Green.
Been like what you are describing for a lonnnngggg time now. It’s still a hard job simply because of the repeditiveness. Not always physically taxing but if you haven’t done it day in day you can’t really judge.
Old 10-18-2019, 08:49 PM   #266
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Been like what you are describing for a lonnnngggg time now. It’s still a hard job simply because of the repeditiveness. Not always physically taxing but if you haven’t done it day in day you can’t really judge.
+1. I did work in factories for a short while and it was a soul crushing experience, requiring extreme tolerance of both monotony and the constant, very low yet non-negligible intellectual effort.

This is not to say I have no respect for the people who stand at the assembly line producing food, tools, furniture or even assemble our cars, quite the contrary---just that this kind of work isn't for everyone, regardless of the physical exertion or lack thereof.

Respect always goes a long way on either side of these arguments.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote