Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 05-16-2017, 04:32 PM   #1
slick3

Drives: Garnet Red - 20 ZLE
Getting Track Alignment this Week: HP Sup or Other?

Are you guys sticking to the GM recomendation in the HP supplement for a track day alignment or have you found your own combo that you can recommend?

As of right now I was going to stick with whats in the manual but im open to suggestions.
slick3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 04:44 PM   #2
JeromeS13

Drives: 2017 1SS/1LE
I went with the manual, except I maxed out the front camber at -2.6 degrees.
JeromeS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 04:52 PM   #3
glamcem

Drives: '19 RivrsdBlu 1LE ('17 1LE HB sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromeS13 View Post
I went with the manual, except I maxed out the front camber at -2.6 degrees.
Lucky, I am maxed out at -2.4 up front :/

To the OP, if you're planning to use the OEM tires only and only attend 2-3 events a year I think GM sup numbers would be good starting point.
However, if you plan to use sticker tires and/or R comps, it's advised to get a bit more than that. Here's what I've done . You will notice the front toe is 0 (as opposed to slight toe in) but I like better turn in response and toe (in or out) up front results in loss in acceleration/trap speed. I could try a slight toe out (-.05 degree on both side) next time but I am not sure if there will be any real benefits as I am already using wider wheels/tires with more track (less offset)

glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 09:35 PM   #4
dmau9600

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamcem View Post
Lucky, I am maxed out at -2.4 up front :/

To the OP, if you're planning to use the OEM tires only and only attend 2-3 events a year I think GM sup numbers would be good starting point.
However, if you plan to use sticker tires and/or R comps, it's advised to get a bit more than that. Here's what I've done . You will notice the front toe is 0 (as opposed to slight toe in) but I like better turn in response and toe (in or out) up front results in loss in acceleration/trap speed. I could try a slight toe out (-.05 degree on both side) next time but I am not sure if there will be any real benefits as I am already using wider wheels/tires with more track (less offset)

Do you think it's fine to leave at track alignment for daily driving?
dmau9600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 10:03 PM   #5
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Absolutely.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 01:23 AM   #6
glamcem

It's totally fine. In theory, more negative camber will shorten the lifespan of the inner side of the tires but these tires already won't last as long as the PSS (or equivalent) tires anyways.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:55 PM   #7
mbar

Drives: 2016 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmau9600 View Post
Do you think it's fine to leave at track alignment for daily driving?
I DD on mine. The 'natural' inside wear of the tire (with negative camber) will even out with the 'unnatural' track day outside wear...or so I hope.
Steering feels almost the same for DD , maybe requiring a little more steering effort.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:46 PM   #8
R3ctivision
1LE Convert

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Just did my track alignment today at Edge Motorworks in Dublin, CA. I don't have the before specs since the tech loosened things up before running the initial measurement. My guess is that camber was close to 0 on both front and rear from the appearance. I also suspect I had some toe-in up front, steering feel felt very stable.

My car was able to achieve -2.7deg LF camber, and -2.6deg RF, so I obviously went with -2.6deg on both sides. Here are my final specs:

LF RF
-2.6deg camber -2.6deg camber
7.9deg caster 7.9deg caster
-0.05deg toe (out) -0.05deg toe (out)

LR RR
-1.7deg camber -1.7deg camber
+0.18deg toe (in) +0.18deg toe (in)

We were originally going to do +0.05deg toe in at the rear, but a previous local customer with an SS 1LE and several track days reported that the rear was very unsettled under power. So we are going to experiment and see what happens with more rear toe and slightly more rear camber.

After the alignment during casual street driving, the car feels a lot more eager to turn in. I'll find out more on Monday after my track day. Planning to keep a close eye on pressures and inner-middle-outer tread temperatures.
R3ctivision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 01:47 AM   #9
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3ctivision View Post
Just did my track alignment today at Edge Motorworks in Dublin, CA. I don't have the before specs since the tech loosened things up before running the initial measurement. My guess is that camber was close to 0 on both front and rear from the appearance. I also suspect I had some toe-in up front, steering feel felt very stable.

My car was able to achieve -2.7deg LF camber, and -2.6deg RF, so I obviously went with -2.6deg on both sides. Here are my final specs:

LF RF
-2.6deg camber -2.6deg camber
7.9deg caster 7.9deg caster
-0.05deg toe (out) -0.05deg toe (out)

LR RR
-1.7deg camber -1.7deg camber
+0.18deg toe (in) +0.18deg toe (in)

We were originally going to do +0.05deg toe in at the rear, but a previous local customer with an SS 1LE and several track days reported that the rear was very unsettled under power. So we are going to experiment and see what happens with more rear toe and slightly more rear camber.

After the alignment during casual street driving, the car feels a lot more eager to turn in. I'll find out more on Monday after my track day. Planning to keep a close eye on pressures and inner-middle-outer tread temperatures.
Wow, great numbers. I am surprised that some people could easily get with -2.5 and above front camber and surprised by the amount of caster with that camber.

The rear didn't bother me so I left the rear toes at factory +0.05 deg, I had the guy to get a bit more camber in the rear but we started losing toe once we did that so I am maxed at -1.6 camber in the rear
Old 05-21-2017, 01:03 AM   #10
R3ctivision
1LE Convert

Drives: 2018 ZLE
glamcem, I wonder if you also don't need as much rear toe because you were only able to get -2.4deg front camber. If the front end was slightly grippier, it might make the difference on corner exit and need more rear toe. Anyway, I'm just speculating. I'll report back after Monday =)
R3ctivision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 01:38 AM   #11
glamcem

I am not really sure how (if any) they affect each other. I am just testing different setups. At the last event yesterday I could easily tell the front turn in was a disaster. Car simply didn't want to turn at certain turns maybe it's because of the Trofeo Rs and the fact that they have softer sidewalls compared to stockers and are advised to use with 30 hot psi ! (which in my case was 36-37 psi easily . Oh well
Old 05-22-2017, 10:49 AM   #12
TrackClub

I think Pirelli recommends hot pressures of about 36psi for Trofeos for heavy cars. Perhaps those tires are simply getting old? Perhaps your track width balance is affected by the not exactly ideal offsets with Apex rims? If the turn in is slow, adding F toe out should help. Also reducing R camber. R toe in has an affect on exits. If the car is stable there and you're able to put power down early enough, then no point of messing with it. If it is loose: increase toe in. If tight, reduce it.
Either way, a slight toe (F and R) has a negligent affect on speed. Looking at Provoste's alignment he has a much bigger spread in camber F to R. So maybe that's what would help ya as well balance wise. Just thinking aloud here as I haven't driven the car yet. On my Vette I had 2.6F 1.6R and ran DOT slicks with equal wear and a good balance. Different car of course, but that spread seems pretty standard for RWD cars. Cheers!
Old 05-22-2017, 11:39 AM   #13
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
I think Pirelli recommends hot pressures of about 36psi for Trofeos for heavy cars. Perhaps those tires are simply getting old? Perhaps your track width balance is affected by the not exactly ideal offsets with Apex rims? If the turn in is slow, adding F toe out should help. Also reducing R camber. R toe in has an affect on exits. If the car is stable there and you're able to put power down early enough, then no point of messing with it. If it is loose: increase toe in. If tight, reduce it.
Either way, a slight toe (F and R) has a negligent affect on speed. Looking at Provoste's alignment he has a much bigger spread in camber F to R. So maybe that's what would help ya as well balance wise. Just thinking aloud here as I haven't driven the car yet. On my Vette I had 2.6F 1.6R and ran DOT slicks with equal wear and a good balance. Different car of course, but that spread seems pretty standard for RWD cars. Cheers!
I've never heard they recommend hot pressures as much and that has been discussed in Camaro5 forums previously. Tires are still in good shape and the wear can be considered equal. I know the fact that I can add a bit toe out upfront but I would be much happier if I could add more camber since Trofeo R s work better with more camber whereas NT01 and equvelant tires can work with less camber. Adding negative toe will sure affect the steering feel but it's a band aid solution, I am trying to alleviate the load on the sidewalls. I wouldn't change the rear camber as it worked just fine with the OEM setup.

I have a feeling NT01 will take care of those issues I had.
I also wouldn't be surprised if the MRCs tuning is the reason for that. Compared to OEM tires, Trofeo Rs seem to have softer sidewalls so the tuning of the suspension may need to be altered. I will report back with the NT01s
Old 05-22-2017, 12:26 PM   #14
TrackClub

"I'm aware that many say to run them at 30 psi hot but that's not my experience nor is it recommended by the Pirelli reps here in Canada. I had 2 rear tires fail and Pirelli would not warranty as they said I was running the pressures too low, particularly cold. For a 911 they said not to run them below 32 psi cold! I begin at 32 front and 34 rear cold then come into the hot pits after 4 or 5 laps and bleed down to hot pressures of 34 front and 36 rear and run at that pressure for the day. "

As reported on Rennsport. Pirelli recommends "about 2.2bar which is 32psi "to be adjusted based on a car". They had a chart posted for this but I can't find it anymore. Might have been their Euro site. Anyway, even for slicks, they recommend 2.5bar for "touring cars", which means: "heavy".
F toe out is not a "band aid solution" by any means Good luck with the Nittos - looking fwd to your review!