Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-15-2017, 07:32 AM   #43
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Well, it may actually depend on what the tires are doing...Here's the link.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rack-mode.html

Can't help but be useful.

Norm
Old 05-15-2017, 11:10 AM   #44
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
OminouSS: what Cup2 sizes do u run and how much did they set ya back? Thx!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 09:42 PM   #45
irmb

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by OminouSS View Post
Took my car out to Thunderhill Raceway this weekend as I finally have enough break-in miles on her. I would say that this car kinda hauls ass.

I won't bore you with the whole session but here is my fastest lap. Put down a 2.04 which I think is pretty solid. I'm not familiar with the track so perhaps someone else can chime in on typical times. I know that in the Chrono Series race the fast Porsche put down a 2:02 and his car was a full blown race car. Not bad for a bone stock Camaro off the showroom floor with a lap belt
I'm pretty confident that with some more familiarization with the track and car that we can put down a 2 flat. Just need to get to know the lines. We ran bypass and then added cyclone. This video is with Cyclone.

How do I embed video, dammit!

https://www.youtube.com/embed/ivlu8S...E%3C/iframe%3E

Here's a video with Rich from Abel Chevy in a customers z06 putting down a 1:58 on the 3 mile.

Rich races semi-pro I think and has done Thunderhill quite a bit. If you're within 6 seconds of him and its your first time at that track, you done good.

irmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 10:41 PM   #46
TrackClub

nothing quite like a Z06 on Hoosiers eh
Very smooth driving. He had it is Sport 2 yet I didn't spot TC come on at all. Thx for posting it!
Old 05-17-2017, 01:13 PM   #47
OminouSS

Drives: Red Hot track candy
Quote:
Do u mind if I copy your reply to the 1LE section? A bit of a tire discussion going there at the moment...
Please go right ahead. Glad to help if that turns out to be the case.
Old 05-17-2017, 01:21 PM   #48
TrackClub

thx I did cross reference it already. are you running 19 inch wheels? cup2s seem very expensive in size 20 proly due to them being spec tires for uber makes....
Old 05-17-2017, 01:22 PM   #49
OminouSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by irmb View Post
Here's a video with Rich from Abel Chevy in a customers z06 putting down a 1:58 on the 3 mile.

Rich races semi-pro I think and has done Thunderhill quite a bit. If you're within 6 seconds of him and its your first time at that track, you done good.

The point-by on the straight by the Viper was hilarious. Point & mash the throttle. Tool

If that was HOD Corvette day, I saw him drive. Unbelievably fast. I picked up a C5 just to go out and play a little cheaper and ran up against another Abel Vette in C class. I had never driven the car before other than to get it on the trailer. I was thrilled to keep up.

Anyway, my latest trip to Thunderhill was yesterday and I am now a second off 2 flat. That means I cut the lead time of the Corvette above in half on Cup2's in a bone stock Camaro. I cannot be more happy that this car has this kind of capability. I'd like to see it in the hands of a 'good' driver!

Last edited by OminouSS; 05-17-2017 at 01:48 PM.
OminouSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 01:47 PM   #50
OminouSS

UPDATE: Rather than clutter up the thread with new posts of the same track I will just update this one as I inch closer towards the elusive 2:00:00 mark. Ran this same track and configuration yesterday and consistently bested my previous time. I ran very consistent 2:03's and sometimes down to the 2:02's. My best, very surprisingly came late in the day at 80 degrees in my last session. This is a testament to the Cup2's, at least when they're new. My new Personal Best: 2:02:106 So very close to the 2:01 I was shooting for this time out. I know there is time to be made up to the tune of seconds. I was not driving very well in these two laps as I missed my marks several times and battled a loose booty. I probably should not have been pushing since it was the last session and I was tiring, but most people had gone home and the track just came at me a little easier this session. Hope it is useful.

Old 05-17-2017, 03:51 PM   #51
irmb

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by OminouSS View Post
UPDATE: Rather than clutter up the thread with new posts of the same track I will just update this one as I inch closer towards the elusive 2:00:00 mark. Ran this same track and configuration yesterday and consistently bested my previous time. I ran very consistent 2:03's and sometimes down to the 2:02's. My best, very surprisingly came late in the day at 80 degrees in my last session. This is a testament to the Cup2's, at least when they're new. My new Personal Best: 2:02:106 So very close to the 2:01 I was shooting for this time out. I know there is time to be made up to the tune of seconds. I was not driving very well in these two laps as I missed my marks several times and battled a loose booty. I probably should not have been pushing since it was the last session and I was tiring, but most people had gone home and the track just came at me a little easier this session. Hope it is useful.

Very nice!

Got got down to 2:15 last time - stuck behind traffic in B's. Moving to C's in hopes I can really wring it out without being impeded. Thinking my NA engine might only be good for 2:05 - but I got a lot of work to do before I get there! ;-)

Edit - and BTW - I really appreciate the video's. I like to see shift points and speeds. You're doing almost 70 over turn 9 and I was only about 62 - so I can def carry more speed there. thanks!
irmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 08:39 PM   #52
OminouSS

Quote:
OminouSS: what Cup2 sizes do u run and how much did they set ya back? Thx!
325/30-19 and 285/35-19 A bunch! Tire rack

Quote:
thx I did cross reference it already. are you running 19 inch wheels? cup2s seem very expensive in size 20 proly due to them being spec tires for uber makes....
Above
Quote:
Originally Posted by irmb View Post
Very nice!

Got got down to 2:15 last time - stuck behind traffic in B's. Moving to C's in hopes I can really wring it out without being impeded. Thinking my NA engine might only be good for 2:05 - but I got a lot of work to do before I get there! ;-)

Edit - and BTW - I really appreciate the video's. I like to see shift points and speeds. You're doing almost 70 over turn 9 and I was only about 62 - so I can def carry more speed there. thanks!
Glad to do it. My humble opinion on this track: turn 1 and 8 are key. I finally got to the place where I don't brake on 8. To stay in triple digits there is huge on the way up the hill

Last edited by OminouSS; 05-18-2017 at 11:16 AM.
OminouSS is offline   Reply With Quote