Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 05-21-2017, 02:22 PM   #1
OminouSS

Drives: Red Hot track candy
Black Flagged for being a slow poke

I thought this was pretty cute. I ran the expert class at an event recently and got black flagged for going too slow. It seems I passed the resident fast guy in the 3000 lb car and I guess that's not supposed to happen (I had no clue who anybody was). I just caught the guy and followed his lines for a couple laps. It was becoming apparent that I wasn't going to get a courtesy point-by and I wanted one clean lap without impediment in the faster sections so I showed the guy a wheel at minute 6:36 (but didn't take his line away). I patiently followed, letting him get his laps in and waited for traffic to bunch us up and then powered by without having to create drama or be aggressive. After that he pushed me for a couple corners until I pulled a 10+ car gap, which I maintained until I saw the black flag two turns ahead. I backed off a bit on the way to the station and watched the Beamer damn near drift two turns trying to reel in my bumper. Sure enough I was thrown the naughty notice. The commentary from the grid starter was pretty cute so I left it in the video. She's a really sweet lady.

'Practice' can be funny sometimes.

Old 05-21-2017, 05:54 PM   #2
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
Haha, that BMW was a douche. Did you talk to him afterwards? I didn't see any blue flags either and he wasn't even behind you very long and you clearly were faster than him. Some people are just assholes. I enjoy when someone is about the same speed as me and we go back and forth waving each other by to play follow the leader. Apparently this guy's ego got bruised.
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 06:43 PM   #3
OminouSS

Yeah Eric. I'm with you. It's especially cool when you can pass back & forth without fear of contact. Scenarios like that are useful in advancement to wheel-to-wheel racing so you have the close-in experience. I for one am very cognizant of lighter cars having the advantage in the turns so I always follow a lap or two to make sure I'm not making a stupid horsepower pass that I can't back up in the twisties. Oh well. He lined up behind me in the sessions after this one and I never saw him again. All good.
Old 05-21-2017, 07:00 PM   #4
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by OminouSS View Post
Oh well. He lined up behind me in the sessions after this one and I never saw him again. All good.
That's awesome
Old 05-21-2017, 09:50 PM   #5
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Nice driving by both of ya frankly. He shoulda let ya pass early on but then found some more pace. I don't expect folks to let me by if they get slowed up by traffic. But then you got him again and he shoulda let ya pass (again). It was likely the big wing that prevented that thought tho lol Obviously the grid lady had no clue why you got black flagged, which is somewhat troubling. Good vid and thx for posting.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 01:02 AM   #6
bpang1234
You can only YOLO once.

Drives: '16 2SS & '15 Subaru Forester
The funny thing is that all you guys with PDR or other such devices have proof if they were to ever try to take things a step beyond a simple black flag.

I hate the ego guys at some of these tracks, it's just for fun out here, no one is getting a big pile of money at this level.
-1st Car to have the "full" SEMA High Performance Graphics kit from 6LEDesigns.
-1st Car to have the 6LEDesigns Blade Spoiler.
-Borla S-Type w/ custom H-Pipe
-Procharger P-1X Stage 2
bpang1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 07:37 AM   #7
JRL1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Great job OminouSS, that black flag was ridiculous. Which group was this?
JRL1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 12:14 PM   #8
OminouSS

Thanks fellas. Still laughing at the big wing comment. That just may have been going through my mind at the time. JRL, We were running the advanced/expert group.

It didn't bother me a bit that he didn't want me to pass. I'd have liked the opportunity to run one lap for time but we were running a decent enough pace that it wasn't slowing me down more than maybe a second or two on the straights. I sincerely appreciate a lead/follow as long as it's in fun and not some egocentric, small wiener contest - which I don't think was the case here. What surprised me was the black flag. At that point we had half a session left and I really thought I'd found somebody to play with. That way I get to learn new things from guys that may be driving the track from a much different perspective. But the flag ended that in a real hurry. Oh well. I'm a nobody out here. I felt like Cersei in her walk of shame in Game of Thrones. SHAME. SHAME. SHAME. (ding ding)

Old 05-22-2017, 02:31 PM   #9
JRL1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
[QUOTE=OminouSS;9738251 JRL, We were running the advanced/expert group.

I knew that, I meant which club put on the event?
JRL1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:56 PM   #10
evanescent03

Drives: '19 SS 1LE/'19 Rubicon/'20 AT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by OminouSS View Post
Oh well. He lined up behind me in the sessions after this one and I never saw him again. All good.
that pretty much settles it. nice work.... i don't know why people get bent out of shape out there because there are so many different cars and abilities .. just have fun, dudes!
evanescent03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 10:46 PM   #11
Egon

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Is it typical for the expert groups to have other cars cut in front so close? The BMW guy cut in front of you in that corner and dropped right in front of another car when he was ahead of you earlier in the video. That seems extremely dangerous for a non competitive event with no contingency money or even a trophy. If it is common I will just plan on sticking to the novice groups, no reason to risk an accident because someone is being a douche. (it's bad enough just driving on public roads)
Old 05-25-2017, 12:14 AM   #12
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egon View Post
Is it typical for the expert groups to have other cars cut in front so close? The BMW guy cut in front of you in that corner and dropped right in front of another car when he was ahead of you earlier in the video. That seems extremely dangerous for a non competitive event with no contingency money or even a trophy. If it is common I will just plan on sticking to the novice groups, no reason to risk an accident because someone is being a douche. (it's bad enough just driving on public roads)
It probably depends on what club you are running with. Some clubs have more testosterone than others. The club I run with is very cool and professional (probably because they are a sanctioned club) and dangerous moves won't be tolerated and drivers and group leads aren't afraid to call you out and park you for the day if you do something stupid.
Old 05-25-2017, 12:57 AM   #13
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
I find auto clubs are good (PCA, Bimmer, etc). Private events: it all depends. "Client appreciation days" offered by shops: the worst.
If that guy got a point-by, then it was aggressive but ok as both drivers expected it. If he got pointed by but thought it was too late he could have waved it off. It all depends on circumstances and experience levels (and trust). If he just stuck his nose in uninvited then it was a big no-no.

EDIT: personally I don't give point bys unless I am on the outside at corner entry. If I am on the inside, the corner is "mine" until exit.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 10:30 PM   #14
OminouSS

No point-by. I am a fairly aware driver so I was half expecting the swoop. I read driver's through their actions and this guy did not start picking up the pace until he saw me behind him. Then he goes bonkers fast. You can see in the video he is pushing his car too hard, especially at the top of turn 5a. He's almost off track at that point. He's a good driver. I'll give him that. But when I saw he was not giving an inch when I showed him the wheel, I yielded the main driving line. After I passed him he was less than a foot from my bumper and both Q-panels for a couple S-turns letting me know 'something'. I held my line, drove smooth and pulled away to a safe distance and kept it at that. I also don't point by much as I expect drivers at this level to know how to get by. If I see a crazy pass forthcoming then I absolutely point by just to keep it safe and Ricky-Racer on his fast lap.

It was with NCRC, a club I fully respect. I hadn't experienced drivers quite that aggressive there before, but I drive that way with friends who know me and they do the same. And we let the stewards know. I just think it's a bit different when you know the other's skills and, more important...Attitude. But I have to stress that I don't have a problem with the Beemerdude. I thought the flag was ill-waved and there sure as heck were no blue flags thrown. I hadn't been passed all day and it was not because I was blocking. If you look, this guy had no numbers on his car. None. That tells me he is a known quantity at this track. Nobody gets away without running 8" numbers here.

Last edited by OminouSS; 05-25-2017 at 10:58 PM.
OminouSS is offline   Reply With Quote