Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-06-2018, 12:36 PM   #1
TXFIFTYSS

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS FIFTY
Oil Filters & Oil - Factory vs Aftermarket

So I did a lot of reading through the search results and there is a lot info, however one can be very torn as I am. I wanted to create a fresh topic as majority of the results I have read are dated. So...

Stick with the factory AC Delco PF64?
Do any other filters compare? Exact/close valve rate?
Dexos 1 Gen 1 vs 2? Dexos 2?
Oil/weight in the 2019 Camaros?
0W-40? It seems this weight is for European cars or at least what I’ve found in stores.
Royal Purple? Mobil 1? Or are they just overpriced?
Mobil 1 oil filters?
Magnetic drain plug?
Oil catch can?
10 quarts?

I recently scored a really good deal on the high performance series K&N oil filters, but if they aren’t recommended, I have no problem taking them back.
TXFIFTYSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 12:41 PM   #2
Airfuel

Drives: '19 2SS M6.
On a new car under warranty, I use the factory filter and the exact oil specified.
In my case, PF64 filter and the Mobil one 0w-40 esp. (The new esp oil, not the regular 0w-40)

I do all my oil changes, keep receipts, and don’t worry about any warranty claims if the engine blows up.

Yes on the magnetic drain plug,
10quarts
Old 12-06-2018, 01:44 PM   #3
TXFIFTYSS

I’m still under warranty and have a little over 1500 miles. I did read that the filters are the same for ‘16 through ‘19, however they changed the oil in ‘18 or ‘19.

Is this new ESP sold in stores? Again the only thing I’ve seen in a 0W-40 shows for European cars.

Wow I’m amazed. That’s a lot of oil. So (2) 5 quart jugs. Sigh.

So what’s the deal with the magnetic drain plug? Does the pan not have any at the bottom?
Old 12-06-2018, 01:54 PM   #4
Airfuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXFIFTYSS View Post
I’m still under warranty and have a little over 1500 miles. I did read that the filters are the same for ‘16 through ‘19, however they changed the oil in ‘18 or ‘19.

Is this new ESP sold in stores? Again the only thing I’ve seen in a 0W-40 shows for European cars.

Wow I’m amazed. That’s a lot of oil. So (2) 5 quart jugs. Sigh.

So what’s the deal with the magnetic drain plug? Does the pan not have any at the bottom?
If your sighing over two 5quart jugs, wait till you see the premium price!
Oh, and only available in quarts and from only a few places. Search this site for the vendors.
As for the plug, I just like using them.
Old 12-06-2018, 02:01 PM   #5
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
M1 0W40 ESP + WIX XP is what I'm using.

GMpartsdirect or ebay to source the oil. Local dealer may have it too, but often for more $.
DaveC113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 02:02 PM   #6
TXFIFTYSS

I used to have a Duramax and used Amsoil, so I’m familiar with the pain. It too took like 10 quarts.

I already checked a few local auto part stores and saw none with ESP on the label. Online only?

What’s the benefit of the plug? I highly doubt that the pan doesn’t have any magnets.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:04 AM   #7
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE Nightfall Gray
Stick with the factory recommended oil and viscosity. Same with the filter. The 64 is a good filter. Tens of Millions of engineering dollars already went into determining the best oil/filter for your car. Stick with the dexos 2 as recommended. It is a special formulation intended to work with your existing emission system. I use magnets available on Amazon on my oil filter. They help trap small metal particles in the filter and do not allow them to recirculate back into the engine. A magnetic drain plug and filter magnets are good, cheap insurance. I am a big believer in catch cans, I have always used them. I think they are particularly helpful on a DI engine. But beware of warranty issues if you are otherwise stock. They are a readily identifiable mod to a dealer and it does change the factory set up. Lots of internet lore, some verifiable, about catch can's resulting in denial of warranty work. Cheers!
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE NFG; ARH 2” headers, catless mids, ARH full exhaust, Lingenfelter 18% lower pulley, ATI Harmonic Balancer, Roto-fab CAI, EE-catch can, TM ported TB, NX Lid, BMR strut tower brace. Aeroforce dual pod interceptor gauges. Tuned by Vengeance Racing!!! 644 HP @ 6250 rpm / 689 trq @ 3660 rpm

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
One says she's a friend of mine...
SJFGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 08:27 AM   #8
CoolbreezeNJ

Drives: '18 Hotwheels 2SS
I'm going to throw my opinions in here. The manual clearly states " Ask for and use full synthetic engine oil that meet the dexos 1 specification. Engine oil that have been approved by GM as meeting the dexos 1 specification are marked with the dexos 1 approved logo". Note that Dexos 1 can be a Synthetic Blend. Then of course they show the Dexos 1, Gen 2 label. That is rather ambiguous. Furthermore Gen 2 is 2017 test so does the 2016 engine not have to use Gen 2. So you see there is lots of ambiguity.

When you go to GMDexos.com it would have you believe that Gen 2 is full synthetic. Doing a little more research the Gen2 seemed to want to address pre-detonation in turbo engines which of course our engines are not. There are a couple of other things , (nit nats) that GM tries to address. Browsing Walmart.com you can see that as there is a Quaker State synthetic blend that has Dexos 1 approval but probably doesn't the the Gen2 approval since it isn't full synthetic.

Long story short go to GMDexos.com and see the approved list of oil. Now go to Walmart and buy Mobil1 5W-30 Extended life with that exact logo for $29.98/5 qts. If you don't like that price at Walmart you could buy the Dexos 1 Gen 2 oil from Quaker state at $22.98/ 5 qts.

You have to understand a few things. There is not 100 producers of oil just like there isn't 100 producers of batteries. Probably only a handful of oil producers. Then various companies add an additives package. Those additive packages may or may not be tested against GM's dexos 2 tests but it doesn't mean it doesn't meet it. In any event oil isn't as complicated as one thinks and it is more about marketing and a whole lot less about the actual oils. To me dexos 1 is synthetic blend and dexos gen2 is a full synthetic oil. I would guess that most full synthetic oils do meet gen2 but they may or may not have been tested for it.

Finally the big problem for me is that there is likely no difference between the 2016 engines and ours and 2016 engines could use dexos 1 but 2017 and up are expected to use Gen 2 because that is when they came up with that standard yet my manual for my 2018 doesn't make that exactly clear and hence much of this is a bit of BS.

Last edited by CoolbreezeNJ; 12-07-2018 at 09:48 AM.
CoolbreezeNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 09:40 AM   #9
Airfuel

The gen 2 oils have been reformulated to better control valve deposits and LSPI.
The motor hasn’t changed but the oil is better. The 2019 model requirements have changed and it is reflected in the manual.

It’s like your body and nutrition.
Yes you can eat like crap and still live, or eat better food and be healthier.
Old 12-07-2018, 09:58 AM   #10
CoolbreezeNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airfuel View Post

It’s like your body and nutrition.
Yes you can eat like crap and still live, or eat better food and be healthier.

Your analogy isn't quite correct. Generally speaking the difference between extended life oil and not extended life oil is the additive package which resists acids a bit more and the presence of acids is what eventually breaks down the oil.

I own a 2017 GM turbo diesel Duramax engine and so why doesn't GM require Dexos Gen 2 for that?

My simple point is that you can buy off the shelf oil from Walmart from $23 to $30 per 5 quarts of oil and not worry about Euro spec oil. I can't help with is 10 qts of oil.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:18 AM   #11
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolbreezeNJ View Post
Your analogy isn't quite correct. Generally speaking the difference between extended life oil and not extended life oil is the additive package which resists acids a bit more and the presence of acids is what eventually breaks down the oil.

I own a 2017 GM turbo diesel Duramax engine and so why doesn't GM require Dexos Gen 2 for that?

My simple point is that you can buy off the shelf oil from Walmart from $23 to $30 per 5 quarts of oil and not worry about Euro spec oil. I can't help with is 10 qts of oil.
There are more differences w the ESP oil, different base stock AFAIK so totally different oil. GM gives a list of improvements over previous oils used.

IDK why anyone would use anything else. Saving a few bucks 1-2x a year on my $45k car to use inferior oil seems odd to me. Same with the filter, WIX XP is probably the best filter on the market.
DaveC113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:51 AM   #12
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I use either a Mobil 1 oil filter or Napa Gold and full synthetic Vavoline 5W30 for my 2016. Have had good results with oil and those filters. I do recommend that you use the oil weight and Dexos 2 approved though for your year Camaro which you can find in the owners manual. You know it’s not rocket science and change it yourself if you are able so that you will know that it was done right!
Old 12-07-2018, 10:54 AM   #13
Airfuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolbreezeNJ View Post

I own a 2017 GM turbo diesel Duramax engine and so why doesn't GM require Dexos Gen 2 for that? l.
I wasn’t talking about the difference in ep oils and regular oils.
I’m sure your duramax specs diesel oil like rotella etc.
I was referring to the low/mid SAPS oil becoming more common for DI and diesel motors.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:31 PM   #14
CoolbreezeNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
There are more differences w the ESP oil, different base stock AFAIK so totally different oil. GM gives a list of improvements over previous oils used.

IDK why anyone would use anything else. Saving a few bucks 1-2x a year on my $45k car to use inferior oil seems odd to me. Same with the filter, WIX XP is probably the best filter on the market.
It is a fact that the base stock of oils are mostly the same as there is less then a handful of companies that make them. These are refineries and not craft brewers of beers.

Curiously if you look at the approved list there is not a single Amsoil oil on that list which just tells you they didn't test against that spec but I suspect many of us think quite highly of Amsoil. The approved Gen2 list is actually expansive which again probably says that the changes are minimal. Then you can also see between say Quaker State and Mobil 1 there is a 25% price difference which further tells me this Gen2 testing is chasing this stuff down a rat hole. IF GM is so concerned about valves then why don't they give us dual injection like Ford or Toyota?

I was simply trying to point out that reasonably priced oil can be found easily and you can see that by going to gmdexos.com and look at their approved list. I'm a Mobil1 guy so I'll go with that and for 5 quarts it isn't more then a few bucks more but I remain unconvinced that it will do crap as to the longevity of my engine or help with pre-detonation from the turbo charger that isn't in my engine.