Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 01-20-2020, 01:05 PM   #1
superdave 72

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 2SS Garnet Red
RIP Camaro/Brake Issue

Hi Folks,

I had a LITTLE incident yesterday. After accelerating from an intersection that I had waited for the light to TURN green, I made it across the intersection and about three cars down the other side when my 2018 SS made a HARD LEFT. I had NO chance to correct before I went into the oncoming lanes and collided with another car. Good thing, the other folks weren't hurt, just banged up a bit. Upon contact, ALL AIRBAGS WENT OFF and the car went into full throttle run, I had BOTH feet on the brakes with NO slowing down. Even though all the airbags were in my face so I could NOT see and all the smoke from them in the car I was able to shut it down after about 75 feet. Long story short,. I'm banged up, other folks OK, the car is probably totaled. Since I changed into the oncoming lane, I'm to blame. I won't bore you with the details but...
after going to the tow yard later, I wondered WTF happened?? I was NOT screwing around and doing stupid shit.
I get up this morning checking my emails and I have an email from ONSTAR letting me know my car reported a problem with my Anti Lock Brake and for me to see a detailer. The accident happened Sunday. The alert was sent at 12:14PM yesterday afternoon, but the email was not rcvd by my Laptop until 6 AM THIS morning, The accident happened at 1:33pm yesterday, So...going by the ALERT, did my left front LOCK up and pull me into the other lane. I gave the alert, with the times to my Insurance (GEICO) and left it for them to figure out, I can't afford to fight "BIG BROTHER". The car was Leased, 14 more months left on the, only had just 5900 miles on it, always garaged, NEVER driven in the rain..it was BETTER than new. NOW WTF do I do. I jump every time the phone rings. CRAP
superdave 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 01:53 PM   #2
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
So you went about 5-6 total car lengths before car made a "hard turn" into opposing traffic. So you could not have been going too fast. I do not think a complete lock-up of one front wheel would turn the car in dry conditions, assuming you were going straight. If the car turned without steering input I would look for linkage or suspension component failure.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 05:39 PM   #3
superdave 72

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 2SS Garnet Red
Once I found out Onstar received an Alert about Anti Lock Brake issues, my focus is on the brakes. It was received by Onsta FROM my car at 12:13PM Sunday afternoon..One and a half hours later it went hard left while I was driving it around 30MPH. more than enuf to make me go hard left if the left front brake locked, I got the email this morning Monday, I received the email letting me know about the Alert at 6AM, iF I had known about the alert, I would NOT have driven the freaking car, WTF
superdave 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 05:58 PM   #4
caSStro18

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
What’s weird about that is that you should have had a dash light come on if there was a problem with the antilock brakes. Strange that OnStar would report the problem and you did not have a warning light come on.
caSStro18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 06:04 PM   #5
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Need more details.. how hard did you take off.. was it on 1-2 shift ? Tires ? Temperatures? I'm sure ins co can request logs from engine-body controller to determine.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 06:25 PM   #6
NYJets12

Drives: 2018 1LT Camaro
As long as Onstar says your car had a problem I don’t see how it can be your fault. It should be under No Fault for the insurance. Just print out the Onstar report about 3 times incase something happens to your computer and you can’t get your emails no more.
At least nobody was hurt .
Old 01-20-2020, 07:53 PM   #7
Dave-ROR

Drives: A few
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJets12 View Post
As long as Onstar says your car had a problem I don’t see how it can be your fault. It should be under No Fault for the insurance. Just print out the Onstar report about 3 times incase something happens to your computer and you can’t get your emails no more.
At least nobody was hurt .
I don't see how Insurance or the Police are going to give 2 craps about what Onstar said.

You are driving the car, even with a mechanical fault, it's your fault. He can sue Chevy if he wants but he's at fault for the accident.
HPDE/DD: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE || HPDE/DD: 2015 Subaru BRZ ||Tow Vehicle: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 8.1L || Weekend toy: 1994 MR2 Turbo || The other weekend toy: 1993 MR2 Turbo || Track car: 1998 Integra Type-R || Race car: 1996 Integra GS-R || New race car build: 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback

Too many cars.. never.
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 08:51 AM   #8
ctrlz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
I don't see how Insurance or the Police are going to give 2 craps about what Onstar said.

You are driving the car, even with a mechanical fault, it's your fault. He can sue Chevy if he wants but he's at fault for the accident.
30 mph and one front wheel locks... I don't think that should turn the car. I agree it is the driver's responsibility to control the car. One wheel locked and the ABS failed in such a way the other three brakes no longer worked?
If your wheel locked and you plan to pursue some kind of defense I would make sure the police report documents the skid mark. Actually, if this is the strategy I would get a lawyer advising you ASAP.
Old 01-21-2020, 09:08 AM   #9
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Very strange incident but have no reason to doubt the Op! Good luck superdave!
Old 01-21-2020, 09:09 AM   #10
chevybill

Drives: 1994 z-28, 2017 2ss 6spd
In my opinion, if a wheel locked it could definitely pull you into the opposing lane.
Those of you with tractor driving experience will know what I am referring to.
Tractors have independent rear wheel brakes. If you need to make an extra tight turn, you step on the brake and turn the steering wheel. The tractor almost stops moving forward and moves in a tight circle, either right or left.

This seems to be what the OP is describing in his original post. It just happened in a car with zero notice and he went along for the ride and subsequent accident.
chevybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 09:16 AM   #11
gmcvt

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtor_ZL1 View Post
Need more details.. how hard did you take off.. was it on 1-2 shift ? Tires ? Temperatures? I'm sure ins co can request logs from engine-body controller to determine.
This
2018 Mustang GT A10 Kooks Lt's, E85 & Lund tune*SOLD*
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 Silver- CAI, Bo-body, VRSP-2 cam, Kooks 1 7/8 Lt's w/cats, Magnaflow street CB(15089), QTP ovals, Elite can, Vengeance Racing tune. *SOLD*
gmcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 09:29 AM   #12
ctrlz

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevybill View Post
In my opinion, if a wheel locked it could definitely pull you into the opposing lane.
Fine. But in this situation you also have to address why there was no time or ability to compensate.
That's why I say get a lawyer involved. How much does it help the OP if it ends up being 50% mechanical failure, 50% driver error?
Old 01-21-2020, 10:52 AM   #13
Brudda*Termite

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
Fine. But in this situation you also have to address why there was no time or ability to compensate.
That's why I say get a lawyer involved. How much does it help the OP if it ends up being 50% mechanical failure, 50% driver error?
Agree with the lawyer for sure, I'd be calling one immediately. Very scary, glad nobody got badly hurt!
Old 01-21-2020, 01:07 PM   #14
Jeb114

Drives: 2021 300
Sounds like a hole shot gone bad.......The hard drive recorded the incident it will tell them what happened...
Jeb114 is offline   Reply With Quote