Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Phastek Performance

Old 01-20-2020, 07:17 PM   #6567
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
I am sorta with you there. I keep going back and forth, and only because the content of the 500 is a bit anemic compared to the ZL1. If it came comparably quipped, I think it would be a good buy. I have always balked at HC prices too, so maybe that is where I need to adjust my thinking a bit.
I think the base GT500 is a much better value (at msrp) than the Hellcat or Redeye.

The Hellcat is under tire-d and the Redeye too expensive. I also don’t like the fender flares.

The base GT500 is fast and didn’t ignore handling and proper cooling completely. No manual doesn’t bother me because cars with this much power (and weight) can’t make use of it with a manual.

The only thing the sinks the GT500 is ADM and that they won’t see discounts after the first year hype settles.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 07:25 PM   #6568
ZRacerLE

Drives: The DSSV Twins: ZR2 and ZLE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
I think the base GT500 is a much better value (at msrp) than the Hellcat or Redeye.

The Hellcat is under tire-d and the Redeye too expensive. I also don’t like the fender flares.

The base GT500 is fast and didn’t ignore handling and proper cooling completely. No manual doesn’t bother me because cars with this much power (and weight) can’t make use of it with a manual.

The only thing the sinks the GT500 is ADM and that they won’t see discounts after the first year hype settles.
Agreed. The base GT500 is as great of a bargain as the base ZL1 in my opinion. ADMs are out of the question for me though. It's the principle. Dealers are already wastes of space and now you pay them more??
ZRacerLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 08:34 PM   #6569
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post

That's a very good point, actually!
Old 01-21-2020, 05:23 AM   #6570
Rodan

Drives: 2018 ZL1 coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZRacerLE View Post
Agreed. The base GT500 is as great of a bargain as the base ZL1 in my opinion. ADMs are out of the question for me though. It's the principle. Dealers are already wastes of space and now you pay them more??
The ZL1 is still a much bettery buy, IMHO, because of the content. Heated/cooled Recaros, NAV, PDR, etc. that aren't included on the base GT500, or not even available as options. As noted earlier in this thread, GT500 is ~$84k with only some of the content base ZL1 comes with at under $70k.

The ADM is the real show stopper, though, and on that I agree with you. It will be at least 2021 before the average customer can walk in a dealer and buy a base GT500 at MSRP. Many dealers will never give up ADM, like they're still asking it on GT350s now, which will mean traveling to buy, or having a car shipped.
Rodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 05:32 AM   #6571
ZRacerLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodan View Post
The ZL1 is still a much bettery buy, IMHO, because of the content. Heated/cooled Recaros, NAV, PDR, etc. that aren't included on the base GT500, or not even available as options. As noted earlier in this thread, GT500 is ~$84k with only some of the content base ZL1 comes with at under $70k.

The ADM is the real show stopper, though, and on that I agree with you. It will be at least 2021 before the average customer can walk in a dealer and buy a base GT500 at MSRP. Many dealers will never give up ADM, like they're still asking it on GT350s now, which will mean traveling to buy, or having a car shipped.
You're probably right. So $81K vs $68K to get similar features (I'm being lazy not building each one on their websites)? If so, you're paying $13K for the factory warranty straight line acceleration jump of the GT500. If it truly is only $13K, it's worth it to me if you need the warranty (I do because of tracking my cars, but that's why I NEED my ZLE ).

All hypothetical given the Chevy discounts and Ford ADMs. So crazy...

Edit: I mean $84K. So $16K... alright starting to get too expensive to justify.
Old 01-21-2020, 06:40 AM   #6572
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodan View Post

Quote:
You're probably right. So $81K vs $68K to get similar features (I'm being lazy not building each one on their websites)? If so, you're paying $13K for the factory warranty straight line acceleration jump of the GT500. If it truly is only $13K, it's worth it to me if you need the warranty (I do because of tracking my cars, but that's why I NEED my ZLE ).

To be fair tho, and I can't believe I'm sticking up for the GT500, if you're only considering the performance, then you have to go by what the car costs without the add ons. See when they tested the C8 against the 500s they optioned up the Vette and said it was comparable even tho it was basically $65K worth of performance and the rest of the money was thrown into stuff like heated seats etc. I said that was unfair. Likewise, if you're looking at the performance, then you have to go by $73K. The fact that the ZLE comes with a lot of standard features that has to be optioned in on the 500 does not take away that in a performance comparison it is a $73K vehicle. If you're looking at overall value for the price, not just performance but everything, then yes, the extra $16K you'd have to spend on the 500 is a bit much. But that is because the ZL1 is just that good. So the 500 is a bit faster in a straight line. Is it $16K faster? Does it make the ZL1 feel slow? Not at all. The ZL1 is still fast as fcuk regardless.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 07:31 AM   #6573
ZRacerLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
To be fair tho, and I can't believe I'm sticking up for the GT500, if you're only considering the performance, then you have to go by what the car costs without the add ons. See when they tested the C8 against the 500s they optioned up the Vette and said it was comparable even tho it was basically $65K worth of performance and the rest of the money was thrown into stuff like heated seats etc. I said that was unfair. Likewise, if you're looking at the performance, then you have to go by $73K. The fact that the ZLE comes with a lot of standard features that has to be optioned in on the 500 does not take away that in a performance comparison it is a $73K vehicle. If you're looking at overall value for the price, not just performance but everything, then yes, the extra $16K you'd have to spend on the 500 is a bit much. But that is because the ZL1 is just that good. So the 500 is a bit faster in a straight line. Is it $16K faster? Does it make the ZL1 feel slow? Not at all. The ZL1 is still fast as fcuk regardless.
Geez it's fast and I'm coming from an H/C/I C6 Z06 - 550 rwhp @3150lbs!

Must be the A10 and the efficiency of putting the power down...
Old 01-21-2020, 07:36 AM   #6574
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
Geez it's fast and I'm coming from an H/C/I C6 Z06 - 550 rwhp @3150lbs!

Must be the A10 and the efficiency of putting the power down...
Yup. Along with the instant boost. Any light touch of the throttle and it is instantly in boost, downshifts, and blasts off!! I really don't mind if the 500 is faster on a roll on. The Hellcats and REs are faster than the ZL1 on a roll also. Still doesn't make the ZL1 any less of a monster. And I'd keep my ZL1 over my Hellcat if one had to go.
Old 01-21-2020, 08:31 AM   #6575
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
I agree with pretty much everything that's been said on this page lol. GT500 base at MSRP is where it's at. CFTP not so much. ZL1 still insane value, GT500 needs to be optioned to match standard content.

This is just me and I know I am probably in the vast majority. I am glad the GT500 doesn't have Recaro seats standard. With a body shape of lets just say round lol, I find Recaros very uncomfortable .
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 08:37 AM   #6576
ZRacerLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
I agree with pretty much everything that's been said on this page lol. GT500 base at MSRP is where it's at. CFTP not so much. ZL1 still insane value, GT500 needs to be optioned to match standard content.

This is just me and I know I am probably in the vast majority. I am glad the GT500 doesn't have Recaro seats standard. With a body shape of lets just say round lol, I find Recaros very uncomfortable .
Ha! Nice.
Old 01-21-2020, 08:41 AM   #6577
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post

They are better than Hellcat seats. I feel like I slide around in the Hellcat. The good thing about the ZL1 seats is that they hold you firmly in place. And the edges so far have not worn down.
Old 01-21-2020, 08:50 AM   #6578
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
They are better than Hellcat seats. I feel like I slide around in the Hellcat. The good thing about the ZL1 seats is that they hold you firmly in place. And the edges so far have not worn down.
Yeah I love my Recaros, the alcantara has the right amount of grip and the bolsters are just the right size to hold me in place when taking ~1G corners.

But they're also quite rigid, so if you're much bigger than a 46 coat size at the waistline then they aren't going to be near as comfortable as the Corvette, Dodge and Ford offerings.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 09:04 AM   #6579
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
I am sure they do hold you in place, that's what they are supposed to do haha. Just every car I have been in with Recaros I feel like I am getting stuffed into a can of tuna lol. So having that kind of seat as optional to me is a + lol
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 09:16 AM   #6580
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:

Exactly, and these numbers are only more exaggerated in the real world. As was said, it will be at least 2021 until MSRP on a 500 is a reality, and maybe not until mid to late 2021 knowing Ford dealers. It gets very hard to justify, mainly because you can get a ZL1 for so much cheaper. I think it is less a feeling that the 500 is not worth it, and more just that GM has spoiled me with their insane value.