Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-20-2020, 10:54 AM   #15
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_QC View Post
If only it didn't go to charity but to Chevrolet directly... It could have help them to pay for the loss on every base model C8 that they will lose money with...

I think it's a safe bet that the vast majority of C8s sold will not be base models.
Old 01-20-2020, 11:13 AM   #16
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
I think it's a safe bet that the vast majority of C8s sold will not be base models.
Its also been a very long running rumour that Corvettes lose money. I remember hearing it when I was a kid, regarding the C4 and C5. The C6 as well, but not the C7 oddly enough.

I don't know whether the base C8 will or not (and the break-even point isn't a fixed number, it varies with production volume as well), but as you said Fen: hardly any will be base cars with no options. So the average transaction price will almost certainly be above cost & GM won't actually lose money on the program.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 11:50 AM   #17
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
The interesting part is for all of these there are 2 VIN #1s. There is the pre production VIN #1 and then they cycle a number in the VIN and it goes to a production VIN. So it isn't the first car off the line, it's the first salable car off the line. Fun fact, GM built several hundred Gen5 Camaros with the pre production VINs and sold them. So whoever bought the mythical VIN #1 for the Camaro really got like the 400th salable unit built.
Are you referring to the CTF vehicles they made?
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 02:23 PM   #18
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
i'd love to know if they sell even one for "60K"
Old 01-20-2020, 03:23 PM   #19
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCamaroFan View Post
i'd love to know if they sell even one for "60K"
1? Sure. Probably dozens & maybe hundreds. It'll have to be a special order, and it'll be through a dealer that doesn't do markups and/or has a lot of allocation slots. Might help if you're a repeat customer at that dealership too.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 07:43 PM   #20
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
If Corvetteforum is any indication, most of them will be mid-70's and up.
Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 06:40 AM   #21
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Rick Hendrick has an entire warehouse full of GM VIN #001's. The man has succeeded in life due to hard work and dedication. His collection must be a sight to behold.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 06:22 AM   #22
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
Rick Hendrick has an entire warehouse full of GM VIN #001's. The man has succeeded in life due to hard work and dedication. His collection must be a sight to behold.
and to think, one day, the warehouse burns up, or another catastrophe to cause all those VIN #001's to be destroyed. I wonder what the insurance is on that building and contents?
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 02:57 PM   #23
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Doesn't mean that the 001s are worth what he paid - The Charity Auctions are Tax Right-Offs for the Rich!
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 03:25 PM   #24
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrpiii View Post
I wonder what the insurance is on that building and contents?
About
Attached Images

Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 06:04 AM   #25
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
Doesn't mean that the 001s are worth what he paid - The Charity Auctions are Tax Right-Offs for the Rich!
Yes, they most certainly are. A wealthy individual purchases a car for much more than what it is worth, the proceeds go to a charity and the wealthy individual will receive a PORTION of their money back during tax season.

It's a win-win. A high-end car gets added to someone's collection and a charity gets a huge check from a generous donor.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote