Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-11-2018, 08:03 AM   #1
bturner2

Drives: 2SS, Hyper Blue, Sunroof, NPP, MRC
Are TPMS the same for SS and RS?

I'm sure this has been asked before but I can't seem to get a straight answer on this question. Does anyone know (for sure) if the TPMS sensors from an RS will work on an SS? I know they look different but are they functionally equivalent?

It would seem odd to me that GM would make 2 different systems for the same vehicle let alone platform to me but......
bturner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 08:37 AM   #2
warren3537

Drives: 2019 Red Hot ZL1 1LE: 2012 RAM 2500
I bought a set of sensors for my 17 SS off of amazon that were for GMC vehicles, they were 433 MHZ and they work just fine, they came with rubber stems and do not look like anything that I have on the stock setup, but it all depends on the MHZ which should be 433 on yours
warren3537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 07:36 AM   #3
bturner2

Thank you so much for the reply. I got a set of take off split spokes with tires from a 2016 Camaro RS. I know a lot of guys on the forum will hate me for this but I use my car for work, which basically pays for it so I just couldn't see putting on another set of tires that I was only going to get 18K miles (most likely more like 14K) out of. Going this way I'll be able to rotate them and get 30K - 40K off a set.

The specs for the RS say 433Mhz but like yours they're the rubber stems. Should work then. We'll see in a couple months when I swap out the snows.
Old 02-17-2018, 06:38 AM   #4
Wheel Team 6

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Tpms

I believe the difference in our factory tpms is the speed rating. I researched it when deciding on keeping my factory tpms in the aftermarket wheels or buying another set.
Old 03-27-2018, 04:53 AM   #5
bturner2

So just to put this to bed once and for all in case someone else goes this route.....

I use my car for work and decided to go with a more mileage friendly tire package. I bought a set of take off 2017 split spokes off an RS with the sensors. I've seen conflicting statements on if the sensors would work with an SS hence this post.

As of today I can tell you that they indeed work but it wasn't without a bit of drama. My first attempt to get the sensors reprogrammed at Discount Tire failed. Not sure if it was the tech or something about getting them reprogrammed but for some reason on the first try we were unable to get the car to go into program mode for the tire sensors. Ended up with errors. Decided to get it one more shot before pulling the set out of my original tires and went to another Discount Tire store during lunch. It took nearly 2 minutes per tire to get them to reprogram but they finally took and all the errors are now cleared. 75 miles later and all is well.

While I can tell the difference in width looking at the car closely others haven't noticed. The car handles quite well with the RS set up. Very happy to get this out of the way.....