Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 02-16-2019, 01:12 PM   #1
Tkinch96

Drives: Chevy Camaro SS 1LE
Rev limit to 5k in neutral

I have an 18 SS 1LE while stopped and in neutral it seems that I can only rev out to 5k RPMS. When moving I can rev it out. Is this normal? Is there a way to change this? Or can a tune take care of this?
Tkinch96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 09:07 PM   #2
Gasoline_Farts

Drives: 19 SS 1LE
Isn’t this launch control that limits rpm? Either way you never want to redline an unloaded engine.
Gasoline_Farts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 05:58 AM   #3
VAZL1

Drives: 17 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasoline_Farts View Post
Isn’t this launch control that limits rpm? Either way you never want to redline an unloaded engine.
+1
Old 02-17-2019, 06:38 AM   #4
Soleil

Drives: Camaro 50th anniversary edition
This is to protect your engine.
Soleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 03:40 PM   #5
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
There is a park/neutral rev limit and a moving rev limit even on the M6 cars.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 08:11 PM   #6
MAGAUSA

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue 1LE
Just imagine what people do to their cars when this is a legitimate question.
MAGAUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 12:24 PM   #7
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Revs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasoline_Farts View Post
Not countering you at all or being a dick, just genuinely asking what the difference/detriment between reving out in neutral vs under load?
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 12:44 PM   #8
Rayvan
Rayvan

Drives: 2018 1SS1LE, Silver Ice Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyBeefcake87 View Post
Not countering you at all or being a dick, just genuinely asking what the difference/detriment between reving out in neutral vs under load?
Revving out in neutral is the best way to identify a total doushebag. The sudden WOT is also a great way stretch a timing chain, and to accelerate wear, or break the guides/tensioners that keep it in place. If that's not enough, it's also a great way to bend your pushrods and float your valves, and crash them into your pistons. WFT? Is this *really* an important thing to you?
Rayvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 05:16 PM   #9
PRAY

Drives: 2016 2SS
That can be tuned out. And apparently no one in this thread races their M6 car. My bolt on record M6 car leaves at 6K. We have about 200 passes on the car with no issues. It runs 10.85.
Old 02-19-2019, 06:21 PM   #10
cmitchell17

Drives: 17 2SS, 8L90, Cam, Heads, E85
I am very surprised the stock tune does not limit power through brake torque management when you turn TC off, at least torque management that I can see.

I think the rev limiter in neutral is more to do with the fact that you could overshoot the rev limiter in neutral with no load, so you need a extra couple hundred rpms to ensure that dosent happen.
cmitchell17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 11:37 AM   #11
RobbyBeefcake87

Revs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayvan View Post
Revving out in neutral is the best way to identify a total doushebag. The sudden WOT is also a great way stretch a timing chain, and to accelerate wear, or break the guides/tensioners that keep it in place. If that's not enough, it's also a great way to bend your pushrods and float your valves, and crash them into your pistons. WFT? Is this *really* an important thing to you?
What part of my post talked about reving out in public like a douche or doing it in a sudden WOT manner?

If you have ever wrenched on a car or tried to trouble shoot and listen for a specific pinging, noise,or knock you may have likely reved up your car in a controlled manner to a desired rpm in neutral. All in the comfort of your garage or work space without showboating like a douchebag or bothering a soul.

My question was simply asking what the difference/detriment of reving to redline under load versus neutral, I'm aware that it's not great to do but don't know the why which is the reason I asked the person who made the post that prompted my question. It's not "really important" to me but figured I'd ask out of curiosity on a public forum where it was brought up.

It's probably douchier to assume things and jump to conclusions posting an emotional response then rev your car up under an over pass. I asked a question, if you don't know the answer or technical reason STFU and move on.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:39 PM   #12
Rayvan
Rayvan

Drives: 2018 1SS1LE, Silver Ice Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyBeefcake87 View Post
What part of my post talked about reving out in public like a douche or doing it in a sudden WOT manner?

If you have ever wrenched on a car or tried to trouble shoot and listen for a specific pinging, noise,or knock you may have likely reved up your car in a controlled manner to a desired rpm in neutral. All in the comfort of your garage or work space without showboating like a douchebag or bothering a soul.

My question was simply asking what the difference/detriment of reving to redline under load versus neutral, I'm aware that it's not great to do but don't know the why which is the reason I asked the person who made the post that prompted my question. It's not "really important" to me but figured I'd ask out of curiosity on a public forum where it was brought up.

It's probably douchier to assume things and jump to conclusions posting an emotional response then rev your car up under an over pass. I asked a question, if you don't know the answer or technical reason STFU and move on.
Apologies. Let me start over. I live across the street from a neighbor who think he's "fixing" his truck and his sport bike by revving it in neutral.. It's annoying AF, and it's kinda got me, and all the neighbors a little pissed about the subject. "Oh great, Henry's tuning up his truck again."

Revving in neutral once in a while will not harm an engine, short term. However, I've rebuilt many engines, of all types, and I can tell you that when I see low mileage engines with bent pushrods and/or stretched timing chains, I know it's a neutral-revver almost instantly. Nothing stresses out a timing chain more than a no-load WOT rev because they tend to rev up much quicker than a loaded engine.

If you're not doing that, again heartily apologize.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=R...&v=5LEGhltmPLU

This guy in the link probably broke his timing chain and sent a few valves through his pistons.
Rayvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 04:51 PM   #13
BlackbeastSS2

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE Shock Candy
Best answer I have seen so far and makes sense.

“In my humble opinion, to take an engine to high RPM under load (where the piston is cushioned at the top of the stroke by a large charge of fuel/air) is far better than to reach the same RPM unloaded. An unloaded engine, with a relatively small fuel/air charge, relies entirely on conrod bearings to stop the piston at the top of its stroke. in a "loaded" engine, the large charge and therefore high compression pressure, cushions the piston action.”
Diamond Piston & Manley Rods, Roto Fab Big Gulp
BTR Push Rods,LS7 Lifters, ARP, FI Chiller, Kirkey Seats
SJM Line Lock, Hurst Pistol Grip. 747/739 RWHP street tune - 821/794 RWHP track tune 98 octane.
2014 Mini Cooper countryman S All4 M6 daily driver
BlackbeastSS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 08:37 AM   #14
RobbyBeefcake87

Revs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayvan View Post
Apologies. Let me start over. I live across the street from a neighbor who think he's "fixing" his truck and his sport bike by revving it in neutral.. It's annoying AF, and it's kinda got me, and all the neighbors a little pissed about the subject. "Oh great, Henry's tuning up his truck again."

Revving in neutral once in a while will not harm an engine, short term. However, I've rebuilt many engines, of all types, and I can tell you that when I see low mileage engines with bent pushrods and/or stretched timing chains, I know it's a neutral-revver almost instantly. Nothing stresses out a timing chain more than a no-load WOT rev because they tend to rev up much quicker than a loaded engine.

If you're not doing that, again heartily apologize.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=R...&v=5LEGhltmPLU

This guy in the link probably broke his timing chain and sent a few valves through his pistons.
All good, just a misunderstanding.. I've lived by similar folks in the past and it's annoying, especially over and over. Pretty sure it doesn't take 15 wot wind ups to diagnose a noise lol. That and "rev battlers" under a bridge or a stop light.

Luckily I live in the boonies of Pasco county Florida and don't have a neighbor for at least half a mile.

Appreciate the response. Between yours and the post that followed it makes sense.