Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-09-2018, 10:56 AM   #15
Silverado57

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris C 1SS 1LE View Post
24 hour road side. Prayers. OEM "kit".
Yeah, I have AAA Premium Plus RV or something crazy like that. It ain't cheap but it'll get you a tow for like 200 miles. I got it because we've done some major road trips by motorcycle and needed that peace of mind when dealers are few and far between. From experience I can tell you that AAA works very, very well.
These days you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a Chevy dealer, even in places like "BFE", so it's not so much of an issue. In any event I hope we never need to use the roadside assistance.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:03 AM   #16
Jsreo

Drives: 2017 2SS Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette_Mike View Post
I bought a spare tire kit from ModernSpare.com. Come with a nice spare, jack and lug wrench.
This
Jsreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 02:38 PM   #17
Jeryl

Drives: Silverado
I would call it planning and being prepared not paranoid 👍

QUOTE=MarkC;10380188]My 1LE doesn't even have run-flats, so in addition to the stock slime that came with the car I have a compact Mercedes car jack, all tools req'd to remove the wheel, a tire patch kit, a can of fix-a-flat, and a compact 12v compressor all stuffed into a backpack that permanently resides in my trunk.

I guess you could say I'm paranoid, but I've been stuck in BFE before and I'll do what I can to prevent it from happening again.

I even have new engine belts in the bag [/QUOTE]
Jeryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 02:40 PM   #18
Jeryl

Thank you. I’ll check in to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette_Mike View Post
I bought a spare tire kit from ModernSpare.com. Come with a nice spare, jack and lug wrench.
Old 12-09-2018, 02:42 PM   #19
Jeryl

Thank you, but no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Well, there may be some drugs for spare-tire-anxiety.
Old 12-09-2018, 02:43 PM   #20
Jeryl

Thank you

QUOTE=redcoats1976;10380139]i keep a tire plug kit and compressor in the trunk.[/QUOTE]
Old 12-09-2018, 02:47 PM   #21
Jeryl

Thank you for the responses and options.
Old 12-09-2018, 07:43 PM   #22
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
The thing is that the same thing that run-flats are going to "protect" you from is most likely going to either self-seal or be sealed by fix-a-flat or similar no problem. They aren't going to protect you if the entire thing comes apart or suffers some sort of catastrophic issue. And then if you are running run-flats, you usually have to buy two new ones, because actually running it on the run-flat effectively destroys it and now you have uneven tread-wear if you buy just one. It's largely a scam IMO. Think about it with an AWD car and how many tires you might have to buy then. I took off one of my 305s a little while back to put on my winters and noticed a metal shank/screw in the middle of one, never lost any pressure because the rubber is so soft, no idea how long it'd been there, but likely a while. Luckily I was able to plug it. Obviously after repair integrity is unknown, but steel belted tires are pretty strong these days and catastrophic issues from flaws are rare. This is one of those things that I think a lot of people worry about much more than needed, because they are basing it on their experience may years ago that isn't relevant with today's tires. Not to say there won't be issues, there will, but the chance is pretty darn small and the chance that you'll benefit from a run-flat is infinitesimally small IMO. If something real bad is going to happen, it's a very small chance, but more likely to serious, like where you'd actually need a spare or a tow.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 04:44 AM   #23
mmadden2

Drives: '12 LaCrosse, '14 Encore, '17 2SS

Old 12-10-2018, 05:29 AM   #24
Cmax

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS FIFTY convertible
For my spare tire, I make sure I don’t eat right, and avoid exercise....
Cmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 04:06 PM   #25
mdhopt36

Drives: '17- 1ag37 V6 traded, for 1SS 2018!
Yeah, now i wanna know when you guys forget you have a "bike-head" tire tied on, how long will it last when you get really goosey with the gas pedal ???

(One donut--two donuts-- three donuts-- BOOM Pfzzzz)
mdhopt36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 04:31 PM   #26
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
aaa and some fix a flat
Old 12-10-2018, 05:35 PM   #27
Ray-J

Drives: 2018 2.0t Camaro RS 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
The thing is that the same thing that run-flats are going to "protect" you from is most likely going to either self-seal or be sealed by fix-a-flat or similar no problem. They aren't going to protect you if the entire thing comes apart or suffers some sort of catastrophic issue. And then if you are running run-flats, you usually have to buy two new ones, because actually running it on the run-flat effectively destroys it and now you have uneven tread-wear if you buy just one. It's largely a scam IMO. Think about it with an AWD car and how many tires you might have to buy then. I took off one of my 305s a little while back to put on my winters and noticed a metal shank/screw in the middle of one, never lost any pressure because the rubber is so soft, no idea how long it'd been there, but likely a while. Luckily I was able to plug it. Obviously after repair integrity is unknown, but steel belted tires are pretty strong these days and catastrophic issues from flaws are rare. This is one of those things that I think a lot of people worry about much more than needed, because they are basing it on their experience may years ago that isn't relevant with today's tires. Not to say there won't be issues, there will, but the chance is pretty darn small and the chance that you'll benefit from a run-flat is infinitesimally small IMO. If something real bad is going to happen, it's a very small chance, but more likely to serious, like where you'd actually need a spare or a tow.

I am not sure about that. I got a screw in my tire, run flat, and the pressure dropped twice and I had to drive on it. Got it plugged a few days later when I was off. Drove on it without issue after the repair. What took it out this time was construction debis in the street.One could be plugged and one replaced because the metal was wide and big. Run flats actually served their purpose and were just as good as a can of fix-a-flat that may or may not work. I have had that stuff break at the nozzle or not flow out the can properly more times than I can count. Run flats in my opinion perform better and more consistent but some are just scared to trust it. Neither will work if the side wall is shredded so I really don't see the purpose of going that route.

2018 Camaro 2.0t Automatic
Ray-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 07:27 PM   #28
Jeryl

I failed to mention the Camaro does not have run flats. I am not as concerned about a total blow out, so much as the possibility of picking up something on the road.

I rode motorcycles for many years and people would not believe the trash that is on the road (Highways/interstates). And the shoulders... The paved portion on the right side of the fog line is full of what we called alligators that you had to be very careful if you had to pull off to the side...

Having said all of that on Thanksgiving day my 82 year old mother in law called while traveling and needed help changing a tire. She had traveled exclusively on state routes. When I pulled the tire off it was apparent that there was a piece of metal in the tire.

I do appreciate everyone sharing their solutions for the possibility of something that may not happen. I would rather have a repair kit or spare and not need it as opposed to be traveling out of the area and need to rely on trying to find a replacement tire late in the evening or on a weekend.

Many Thanks