Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Bigwormgraphix

View Poll Results: What would you do with your 1LE?
Leave it alone 16 22.86%
Build all motor 36 51.43%
Build for Procharger 14 20.00%
Other, please explain 4 5.71%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-19-2017, 12:39 PM   #1
JeromeS13

Drives: 2017 1SS/1LE
All motor or build for Procharger?

So, I'm weighing which direction I want to go with my 1LE... On one hand, I would like to stay NA, but I think I'll be limited to around 530-550 RWHP. On the other hand, if I have the motor built for a Procharger setup, those limits are much, much higher. I prefer the Procharger because of the air-to-air intercooler options, which is better suited for road course use.

I've been eyeing the long blocks from Texas Speed. Looks like I can get a fully built 376 or 416 CID long block for less than $11K. That would allow me to swap over all the accessories, and recoup some of the cost by selling my OEM long block... That would result in less down time, and less hassle overall, as I like to do as much work as I can, except I don't trust myself with the tedious, delicate work of building a motor.
JeromeS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 01:03 PM   #2
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
If you are tracking or plan to track a lot, then either leave it alone or do a na package like lingenfelter.

If mostly just having some street fun with a few track days here and there, go procharger / whipple / vortech etc...just do the bolt on and leave motor alone, unless you want to go big power?
Old 05-19-2017, 01:06 PM   #3
JeromeS13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
If you are tracking or plan to track a lot, then either leave it alone or do a na package like lingenfelter.

If mostly just having some street fun with a few track days here and there, go procharger / whipple / vortech etc...just do the bolt on and leave motor alone, unless you want to go big power?
I think in the long run, I'll eventually want more and more power. That's why I'm trying to start with a solid foundation that will support my end goal.

I don't want to install a supercharger with the stock pistons. Seems like that's the weak point, especially if you're in boost for extended periods of time (which I will be).
Old 05-19-2017, 01:06 PM   #4
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
I say go N/A!! That's what I'm planning later on, but I also only plan on going Heads and cam and supporting mods to get me to around 500-550 rwhp, I think that's plenty. But if you want go all out with a fully built motor I still say stay N/A!
Old 05-19-2017, 01:09 PM   #5
DenverTaco07

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromeS13 View Post
I think in the long run, I'll eventually want more and more power. That's why I'm trying to start with a solid foundation that will support my end goal.

I don't want to install a supercharger with the stock pistons. Seems like that's the weak point, especially if you're in boost for extended periods of time (which I will be).
I think there is a company doing a drop in forged kit..., then add your s/c...then go from there.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:11 PM   #6
DenverTaco07

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNxR3DNECK View Post
I say go N/A!! That's what I'm planning later on, but I also only plan on going Heads and cam and supporting mods to get me to around 500-550 rwhp, I think that's plenty. But if you want go all out with a fully built motor I still say stay N/A!
I think most 1LE guys would agree, cuz it's a track car...but then ZL1 / ZL1 1LE.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:12 PM   #7
JeromeS13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
I think there is a company doing a drop in forged kit..., then add your s/c...then go from there.
If I'm going to pay the labor to have pistons installed, I may as well do heads and a cam while I'm at it, which is why I'm contemplating the long block to begin with.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:44 PM   #8
Egon

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
You still haven't told us what your planning on using the car for. Are you just going to DD it, are you going to take it to the track for track days or autocross? Are you going to take it to the drag strip? Without some more information from you all anyone else is telling you here is what they would do to their car, or what their preferences are.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:48 PM   #9
Jastone

Drives: 98 TA, 10 Sierra, 17 XT5, 17 1le
Road course or auto cross I'd stay N/A. My Trans Am is FI with a D-1SC and even with the linear torque curve of a centrifugal blower the power doesn't come in as smooth as a good N/A built motor. When boost comes on at 2400rpm it's like a sledge hitting you in the back.

I know the ZL1/1le and the Z06 are FI, I would imagine they are smoother with the torque curve though I have never driven one before. If you are really contemplating FI, look into the power curves of all the possible manufacturers, also the different ways of producing / regulating boost. There are some guys I know on the LS1 tech FI boards that ,with some success, have installed electric boost controllers and even setup for boost by rpm. They install a waste gate and spin the blower as hard as they can and use the controller to give them optimal boost for conditions.

Ultimately though 600whp is useless if the car loses balance or can't put the power to the ground efficiently.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:51 PM   #10
TransAmx2

Drives: '98 Pontiac Trans Am
Another option (if you want a solid foundation) is you could buy a LT4 crate motor for around $13,200 and have the solid foundation and supercharger, sell the LT1 to recoup some of the $ and basically follow the ZL1 parts list to make all the cooling systems work.
http://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrolet-Perf...FYQbgQodq5wOCw
2007 Z51 Corvette M6 (Salvage Project Car)
1987 Trans Am 350tpi A4 RIP
TransAmx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 01:51 PM   #11
Casalino

Drives: 17' 1LE BLK
no procharger!! The beauty of the 1LE is the fact that it is naturally aspirated. A dying breed in today's world. Nothing beats the sound of something naturally aspirated. Compare the sound of the old air cooled 911's to the turbo's today. But besides the sound and satisfaction of having a n/a motor. Your reliability won't be hindered from a supercharger or turbo. N/A would be a ten times better option for track use or just high performance use. More linear powerband easier to control. That's why i don't have a zl1. I cant imagine trying to handle 650 horse around a turn. 500-550 to the wheels all motor is my goal once the warranty is over. The stock power is plenty for me for track use. But I just want the nastiest n/a v8. Sick sound and power everywhere. Don't go the easy way out for power. If you want a 1LE with a procharger, that's basically just a ZL1. Keep the 1LE special just like Z28.
Casalino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 01:57 PM   #12
Casalino

And if you're going to butcher a 1LE and put forced induction, you should be doing it to a 1SS. And don't be those mustang guys and put a procharger. It's just a belt driven turbo. If you're gonna do it, put a damn blower on that bad boy. Don't be a mustang guy
Old 05-19-2017, 02:02 PM   #13
Jastone

Drives: 98 TA, 10 Sierra, 17 XT5, 17 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casalino View Post
And if you're going to butcher a 1LE and put forced induction, you should be doing it to a 1SS. And don't be those mustang guys and put a procharger. It's just a belt driven turbo. If you're gonna do it, put a damn blower on that bad boy. Don't be a mustang guy

That belt driven turbo is one one the most efficient designs for blowers, and yes it's still a blower. What constitutes a "blower" to you? A big chunk of heat soaking aluminum sitting on top a set heads? I agree FI is for straights, leave the 1le alone.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:06 PM   #14
Casalino

Yea i agree its efficient. I guess its just my slang terms for superchargers. But between me and my friends, a blower is the the big hunk of metal on the engine that screams and whines. Not a procharger. Those are not welcome in my fantasy builds lol. But when the time comes and my warranty is over, i will do this car the right way. Like i said, do that stuff to an SS. But leave the 1LE n/a. That's what makes it so special, and i think more preferred than a ZL1.