Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 01-05-2015, 08:29 PM   #1
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
Next Gen V6 and V8 for 2017 Camaro...

I found this little info in an article by Automotive News about a new advance cylinder deactivation system that GM and a startup company that it invested heavily in from silicon valley co-developed. The interesting bit of info may hold a lot of promise for a future V6 and V8 next gen engines for the Camaro lineup.

Quote:
If DSF makes production, it would likely appear on the next generation small block V-6 and V-8 due out around 2017. GM would use the system in its trucks and SUVs and rear-wheel drive vehicles, such as the Chevrolet Corvette and Camaro.
Do we have any info or clue of what this engine family is?

http://www.autonews.com/article/2015...ivation-system

Last edited by RLHMARINES; 01-05-2015 at 09:06 PM.
RLHMARINES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:38 PM   #2
Z/284ever

Drives: A few Camaros
Very interesting!
Z/284ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:34 PM   #3
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
The LS3 currently gets 24 HWY. At a 15% gain that's not even 4 more miles to the gallon. Nice, but not really a game changer. If used it would put the Camaro just over it's competition most likely. If they're talking 15% MPG increase over the LT1 that's more impressive but nothing crazy in my opinion.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:02 PM   #4
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Don't know about the V8s since the line of LT and ecotech engines are fairly new, but in terms of the V6, this has got to be talking about the LGX.

There has been 2 or 3 different threads here on Camaro6 discussing the LGX. Magazines are reporting GM has been working on a new family of V6 engines, and the first car to get the next gen engine could be Cadillac CT6. That worried me a bit, as I don't think the CT6 is set to debut soon, but the Camaro could be unveiled within a few weeks to a few months from now. It has been "confirmed" that the 6th gen Camaro would get LGX...but will it be in the first model year?

I have always speculated that the LGX would get all the same tech as the LFX (single exhaust port, direct inject, cam phasing) but I also enjoyed making the assumption it would get cylinder deactivation as well, similar to the V6 in the Honda Accord which is also a 60 degree engine with deactivation, which apparently is more difficult to do in a 60 versus a 90 like GMs 4.3 in the trucks.

I'm hoping its a V6 on the larger side (3.6 to 3.8) capable of around 335 - 340 HP and hopefully 290ish or better TQ.

With that kind of HP, and cylinder deactivation, it would be more than a match for Ford's optional turbo engine in the Mustang (stock of course, as that engine changes drastically with a tune) in performance and economy. Throw in an 8 speed auto, and (fingers crossed) a tad less weight, and a V6 like this in Camaro would be quicker than the current 2015 Ecoboost Mustang.

Unfortunately, info on the LGX is pretty scarce right now. I'm really looking forward to learning more about this engine!
Old 01-05-2015, 10:36 PM   #5
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
5th gen production ends some time this year. Waiting at least another year to produce the 6th gen makes no sense.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:23 AM   #6
Capricio

Drives: 2000 WS6
Sounds more like an ECU algorhythm than a "new generation" of engine. Just allowing the ECU to react to more inputs and individually cut spark and fuel on a more judiciously calculated basis than a simple "4 on/4 off" in economy mode. I'm guessing with the possible addition of a sending unit or two, any current DoD could support it.
Capricio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 10:48 AM   #7
Thebeezwax

Drives: Has 4 wheels
Cylinder deactivation already exists in the new ECTech3 5.3 and 4.3 in trucks.... the Vet has the same in the 6.2, this is why the Vet on ECO mode will get you over 30mpg.... I don't see this as being very innovative, just called the wheel something different
Thebeezwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:44 AM   #8
Capricio

Assuming acts like I think it does, it is innovative. It sounds like it can dynamically deactivate between 1 and 5 cylinders based on a nearly instaneous load calcuation. Based on crank position it can deactivate different cylinders (in odd or even quantities) on each rotation and maintain balance. Not sure earlier ECUs could support this or how much CPU cycles it accounts for. This will allow partial and more effective DoD implementation, with much a more granular/higher resolution control system. I would guess that the real work was in the development, determining how to keep the engine in balance by alternating dead cylinders for odd combinations.

It's like they went from a simple on/off switch to a variable rheostat on a lightbulb with 5 or so different intensity settings, depending on how much light you need for different situations.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:48 AM   #9
Thebeezwax

Drives: Has 4 wheels
Thebeezwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 01:26 PM   #10
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
I know Cadillac is getting its own premium V8 soon but the article makes it seem as this is a next gen evolution V8 for Chevy and GMC rwd lineup.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:18 PM   #11
Bhobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLHMARINES View Post
I know Cadillac is getting its own premium V8 soon but the article makes it seem as this is a next gen evolution V8 for Chevy and GMC rwd lineup.
What have you heard about the Caddy V8? The only thing I've seen is maybe going back to overhead cam.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:33 PM   #12
Z/284ever

Drives: A few Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
What have you heard about the Caddy V8? The only thing I've seen is maybe going back to overhead cam.
I suspect it's the shelved Ultra V8 program. It was developed and ready to go as a replacement for the Northstar and then put to sleep around BK.
Z/284ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 09:02 PM   #13
Bhobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z/284ever View Post
I suspect it's the shelved Ultra V8 program. It was developed and ready to go as a replacement for the Northstar and then put to sleep around BK.

I think that would be smart for Cadillac. I prefer OHV but OHC would be better for cars hoping to compete in Europe.
Old 01-08-2015, 04:28 PM   #14
Capricio

hmmn...

Quote:
There are rumblings that the engine bay may eventually play host to a small, 3.5- to 4.0-liter V-8 with all the fixin’s—meaning no pushrods.
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/exc...st-photos-news