Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 04-06-2011, 08:52 AM   #15
rxfox3
Rxfox3

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM/M6
I picked up a Pioneer Z120bt. I have the factory stereo out and Metra kit and new head unit wired up to the point I was able to test the radio for power and sound. I ran into some problems last night, but was able to sort it out.

I am starting back at this morning and have a couple questions...

I still need to wire up backup cam, XM radio, sterring wheel controls, and sub and I have some questions.

#1 Any idea of where I can locate the XM radio interface?

#2 Were you able to use the metra kits steering wheel controls? (car toys said the kit they installed did not work and they needed to use the pioneer one)

#3 How do I know if the METRA kit firmware needs to be updated?
rxfox3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 02:28 PM   #16
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

Drives: Black 1SS with 20% tinted windows
the Metra kit's module needs to "learn" your steering wheel controls. It's not plug n play. In the directions Metra gives you, they have the procedure spelled out. Tell Car Toys to read the directions.

I found, when programming the module that it was easiest just to force it to learn. The initial instructions I followed tell you some steps to follow when you first power up. It didn't work using that method. Forcing it to learn worked. The procedure to do that is easy to follow.
Darth Martel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 06:02 PM   #17
rxfox3
Rxfox3

I tried it both ways numerous times and finally had to put the car back together. I am outa here till Monday and will be picking up the project when I get back. I was able to get everything working other than the wheel controls. I also installed a ******** stealth box in the trunk as well.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:22 PM   #18
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Hi everyone , i am looking for a unit to replace the OEM [INA W 900BT ,INA WR900 from ALPINE or AVIC Z 130 BT from PIONEER , and will have to go with METRA kit , just would like to have some advise / tips on what to look for regarding on which you guys will go if you have to do over again , please feel free to comment or advise me on what to look for ,thanks .
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:25 PM   #19
YOUNGnRECKLESS
Building the Beast

Drives: 2010 VR LS3
hey,

The metra is near 200 and I bought a pioneer 3200 with bluetooth, nav, dvd, iPOD, usb, SD all the perks. The pioneer cost me 500 for everything...all you need is the metra and a head unit. I did the install myself, it was very straight forward and easy to follow. Its nerve racking but you have a great community hear to back you up.

I'd be glad to help if you need it. I dealt directly with the innovators of the metra kits at their shop near me, great guys and a pleasure to deal with.

Good luck with the purchase and install, well worth it!
Attached Images

Old 04-06-2011, 11:29 PM   #20
YOUNGnRECKLESS
Building the Beast

Drives: 2010 VR LS3
sorry, read through and saw you began the install. I noticed ur question about the firmware update. I needed one...when you power your system, if no sound comes from the front speakers you will need an update. I had no sound in my front speakers as far as music, only the chimes were coming from the fronts. It had to do with the on star I believe when I went to their shop and watched them reprogram it....?
Old 04-06-2011, 11:50 PM   #21
rxfox3
Rxfox3

Alpine 900 or Pioneer z120 are both nice. If you get the alpine head unit it will be an easy upgrade when/if they release the dash kit for it. I am happy with the pioneer myself I picked it over the alpine just because I liked the menu system and interface better. Metra kit was not to bad I did, but I still need to sort out the wheel controls. If you have specific questions about the pioneer or need help with the install just pm me. Also, if your metra needs firmware update car toys has the cable to do it.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:08 PM   #22
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxfox3 View Post
Alpine 900 or Pioneer z120 are both nice. If you get the alpine head unit it will be an easy upgrade when/if they release the dash kit for it. I am happy with the pioneer myself I picked it over the alpine just because I liked the menu system and interface better. Metra kit was not to bad I did, but I still need to sort out the wheel controls. If you have specific questions about the pioneer or need help with the install just pm me. Also, if your metra needs firmware update car toys has the cable to do it.
Hey, thanks for the info , i will do this in about 3 weeks , i also wanted to know if in your case if the new unit is equal , better or otherwise than the OEM sound wise , [i have the BOSTON ACOUSTICS ] i guess that what i am saying is i don't want to get more stuff like GPS and end up losing on sound quality ,also the OEM bluetooth on the SS is very clear , can you tell me what is your take on this please , thanks
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:57 AM   #23
rxfox3
Rxfox3

I have not had enough time with it, but the sound quality is very good. The good aftermarket stereos hav more optons for the eq, sub control, and preamps are clean sounding. The Boston Accoustic system is ok, but nothing to get excited about. If you want to pm me i can answer specific questions.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:28 PM   #24
rxfox3
Rxfox3

Radio is back out today to finish up adjustments on the install. I was able to get the steering wheel controls working by following the advice of forcing meta kit to learn headunit type. Took a couple times, but I everything is working perfect, but I am issues with the AM radio not getting any signal at all... any ideas? Also, I am going to try to run a bypass so passengers can input address or watch dcs in the pioneer while the car is moving.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:29 AM   #25
RSokie
Proud owner of Litho #195

Drives: 2011 CGM 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOUNGnRECKLESS View Post
hey,

The metra is near 200 and I bought a pioneer 3200 with bluetooth, nav, dvd, iPOD, usb, SD all the perks. The pioneer cost me 500 for everything...all you need is the metra and a head unit. I did the install myself, it was very straight forward and easy to follow. Its nerve racking but you have a great community hear to back you up.

I'd be glad to help if you need it. I dealt directly with the innovators of the metra kits at their shop near me, great guys and a pleasure to deal with.

Good luck with the purchase and install, well worth it!
That is sweeeeet!
RSokie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
headunit, navigation, stereo, upgrades, xm radio