Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

AWE Tuning

Old 04-19-2021, 08:24 AM   #1
cam765

Drives: 2019 SS
Snapped trans pan bolt

Well, I managed to snap a trans pan bolt when reinstalling the pan. It was the first bolt I went tighten and I felt the gasket begin to compress and was expecting to hit torque relatively quickly, but I never got a click. So stupid me continued to slowly tighten until it finally snapped Torque spec is 89 in-lbs, I had my torque wrench set to a hair below 8 ft-lbs (96 in-lbs), which I figured was close enough. Thankfully, I don't think I'll have any problem removing the broken bolt.

What are some tips when I try again? Maybe skip the torque wrench and just use a 1/4" ratchet and go until snug? Since I can tell when I start to compress the gasket, should I just give it a half turn or so at this point and stop?
cam765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 09:07 AM   #2
Spaceme1117

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS, 2011 Corvette GS
I try to sneak up on the final torque number when I do oil pan, trans pan, valve cover bolts.

I did a trans fluid change this past weekend and did all of the bolts at 50 in-lb then the final torque.

I find it will reveal any marginal bolts or if there is an issue with my torque wrench in the way things feel. Also, helps to even out the forces on the gasket for a better seal.
Spaceme1117 is offline   Reply With Quote