Homepage Garage Wiki Register Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack


Emblempros


Post Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2020, 08:03 PM   #1
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL
 
EDFHOBBIES's Avatar
 
Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Houston
Posts: 3,499
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
Don't rule out Kumho 20s and 19s for DD!

Food for thought on Tires if your not tracking your car and just need a good daily tire for wet and dry why not save 8 or 900 bucks.

19" inch wheels, I'm loving the prices and better selections of tires. I would say on average you can save 20 to 200 bucks per tire for the staggered setup on a SS 1le or zl1 that runs 285 30 20 & 305 30 20...little savings will be found switching to 19s and staying w the same brand (example 20" mps4 to 19" mp4s) vs switching to 19"s and changing the brand of tire to an equal performing tire.(dry,wet,and comfort)

I know most of you will go back w OEM goodyears (yes they hydro plane) but, they perform well on track days and dry grip is pretty good on the street or most switch to MP4s a 30k mile warranty tire for daily drivers that have good wet and dry traction but perform slightly below the goodyears on track days. One draw back is that these 2 brands have a 1300 to 1500 price tag.(yes you can find cheaper maybe close outs, discounts from AAA ect)

With that said,

I'm very very impressed with the kumho ps91 for a daily tire that is excellent in wet, dry, and noise comfort I haven't tested them at the track or found any reviews from track days they are probably ok for a novice. My wife has had them on her car for over a year now and they are by far the best bang for the buck I have found. For the 20 inch staggered wheel peeps she has been running a 295 30 20 sq setup since they do not offer a 305. She's 600 plus wheel hp and they hold as good as any extreme or max summer tire I've seen. Wet traction isnt an issue either I feel comfortable in rain just as the reviews state.

Anyhow I was so impressed I just ordered a set of ps91 for my car to go on my 19x10 et 14mm 19x11 et 38mm zl1 1le replica wheels for daily driving. I've been running the toyo R888Rs unbelievable dry grip off the line and around turns but the noise level is just getting on my nerves while daily driving. So I just picked up some 19x11 et 11mm and 19x12 et 41mm OEM zl1 1le rims. I will put the toyo R888Rs 345s 30 19 them. I have been running the toyo 345 on the 11s and its been totally fine. For the front tires I'll go for the kumho viper v720 295 25 19 better than the re71s or the v720 305 30 19 they are right between the re71s and bfg rivals. since the rears are all ready loud these will fit right in since the reviews said they were fairly loud. Should make for a sticky setup at the track, let some air out of the rears(toyos) and they hook just about as good as any 18 inch drag tire I've used and with out the soft side walls flexing in turns.

Anyhow thought I would share my experience..

Onlinetires.com also has a 10% if I haven't convinced ya the MP4s were about 30 bucks cheaper w no tax and ship!
Attached Images
    
__________________


Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 06:24 AM   #2
Blackmonba6Gen
@4secnds6gen
 
Blackmonba6Gen's Avatar
 
Drives: 16 Camaro 2SS A8
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Michigan
Posts: 295
Thanks for the write up. I will consider this going forward. I just tried to get me a setup of the Michelins yesterday and it seem to be on backorder till May/June which sucks idk if others are experiencing this as well.. So I'm testing out the Conti's ECS to see how they will run.
__________________

FBO w/ Ported LT2 Intake Manifold/ Flex Fuel
Kooks Headers/Tony Mamo Ported 87MM TB
RotoFab Dry CAI
Mishimoto Catch Can
Velossa Air Scoop
Mustang Dyno w/ WCF 480RWHP /490TQ E70

Instagram Here
YouTube Here

----------------------------------------------------------------
Blackmonba6Gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 07:49 AM   #3
foshjowler
 
foshjowler's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T, 91 Miata
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Raleigh, North Carolina
Posts: 435
I had them on my old 2011 Mustang and used them early on in my autox career. Didn't have them for very long, but for the money, they seemed good, but the Michelin's and Conti ECS are certainly better. The other thing to consider with these cheaper tires is that they likely won't last as long as the big two in the category. It could be a magnitude of twice as long, if so, in the end, the price will more or less even out.

I need to buy a set of daily tires here in the next few weeks, and pretty much settled on the Michelin a/s 3+. I've got BFG Rivals for autox/track things, and just wanted something with good life, decent grip, and competent in the 2 inches of snow we occasionally get here.
foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 08:46 AM   #4
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL
 
EDFHOBBIES's Avatar
 
Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Houston
Posts: 3,499
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
Quote:
Originally Posted by foshjowler View Post
I had them on my old 2011 Mustang and used them early on in my autox career. Didn't have them for very long, but for the money, they seemed good, but the Michelin's and Conti ECS are certainly better. The other thing to consider with these cheaper tires is that they likely won't last as long as the big two in the category. It could be a magnitude of twice as long, if so, in the end, the price will more or less even out.

I need to buy a set of daily tires here in the next few weeks, and pretty much settled on the Michelin a/s 3+. I've got BFG Rivals for autox/track things, and just wanted something with good life, decent grip, and competent in the 2 inches of snow we occasionally get here.

I agree the PS91 are not as good at a track day but, on the street they are totally fine especially in wet and since my wifes car has more power than an oem zl1 they get off the line w no problems. So far we have 18k miles on the kumho ps91 and still have plenty of tread life at this cost you can buy 3 sets compared to 1 set of MP4s.


I've talked to some die hard track guys and they say that the viper version Kumho v720 kick the crap out of anything they used... Cup 2s, re71s, and Rivals.. of course they are not allowed at some events lol..

they run the 355 30 19 on the OEM zl1 1le wheel rear and the 295 25 19 on front.


I figure the non ACR regular v720 are scaled down version shaved and not heat cycled like most manufactures do. I've read some people saying its the same compound and some say its not with the modifications I mentioned.


562 compared to 1500.00 19s

20 inch the are 295 30 20 167.00 sq setup
20 inch staggered 275 30 20 $147.00
plus 10 off and free ship

this is a huge savings!
__________________


Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 09:26 AM   #5
foshjowler
 
foshjowler's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T, 91 Miata
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Raleigh, North Carolina
Posts: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDFHOBBIES View Post
I agree the PS91 are not as good at a track day but, on the street they are totally fine especially in wet and since my wifes car has more power than an oem zl1 they get off the line w no problems. So far we have 18k miles on the kumho ps91 and still have plenty of tread life at this cost you can buy 3 sets compared to 1 set of MP4s.


I've talked to some die hard track guys and they say that the viper version Kumho v720 kick the crap out of anything they used... Cup 2s, re71s, and Rivals.. of course they are not allowed at some events lol..

they run the 355 30 19 on the OEM zl1 1le wheel rear and the 295 25 19 on front.


I figure the non ACR regular v720 are scaled down version shaved and not heat cycled like most manufactures do. I've read some people saying its the same compound and some say its not with the modifications I mentioned.


562 compared to 1500.00 19s

20 inch the are 295 30 20 167.00 sq setup
20 inch staggered 275 30 20 $147.00
plus 10 off and free ship

this is a huge savings!
I don't blame anyone for wanting to save money on tires, as long as they aren't the Walmart special, which these definitely aren't. I've definitely given some thought into buying a set of these, the value proposition is hard to beat.
foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 10:07 AM   #6
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL
 
EDFHOBBIES's Avatar
 
Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Houston
Posts: 3,499
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
Quote:
Originally Posted by foshjowler View Post
I don't blame anyone for wanting to save money on tires, as long as they aren't the Walmart special, which these definitely aren't. I've definitely given some thought into buying a set of these, the value proposition is hard to beat.

I agree like lionheart, Lexani, vercelli, and Nanking!


BTW tires showed in 3 days and delivered early Saturday morning!


Online tires is cheap and 10% code!
__________________


Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 01:08 PM   #7
VinnAY
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Missouri
Posts: 941
I had a set of ASX on another car and they would flat spot sitting overnight. Noticeable tread squirm, too. Never again Kuhmo.
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Post Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.