Homepage Garage Wiki Register Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions


AWE Tuning


Post Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2021, 07:27 AM   #379
Choda
 
Drives: Turbo 6.2
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfdog View Post
is the check ball vacuum actuated shut since a factory line from the stock intake is hooked up to the catch can? with no vacuum or boost the ball should remain open from the feed side and prevent opposing "splash" which may have stopped your leak from occuring.
The check ball FLOATS in oil. You could be right. I just checked it last night. As far as my leak - I think the hose in the fitting wasn't seated properly, I took it apart and re did it, so far so good.

This made me start thinking about your post. The next time I have some time in the garage, I'm going to put 10 qts of water in my mock up oil pan and see how high the oil level is. I'm not sure where it will be in comparison to my oil drain.

I think I finished up all the little things I wanted to, I need to mount the gofastbits ebc and cruise around for a couple miles before I drop it to my tuner. For some reason I was getting throttle body codes. Key on, it would quickly open and shut a bunch of times before cranking over, randomly rev it and it would go into engine reduce mode. I re did my grounds and it still was acting funky. I put another TB on and same thing.

I also have all the cam sensor codes from changing to the lme front cover.
I'm hoping that is the reason for the REP. The TB and cam sensor codes are still in my history even though I clear them. I'll leave that to my tuner.

My super sweet addition should be here shortly. I'm really excited about what's coming and am very pumped about seeing what it does.
__________________
2016 Turbo Camaro - 808hp/856tq
2018 LTZ Z71 Redline Silverado - 381hp/420tq
Choda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 09:50 AM   #380
wolfdog
 
wolfdog's Avatar
 
Drives: 2019 Camaro SS 1LE
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Houston
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choda View Post
The check ball FLOATS in oil. You could be right. I just checked it last night. As far as my leak - I think the hose in the fitting wasn't seated properly, I took it apart and re did it, so far so good.

This made me start thinking about your post. The next time I have some time in the garage, I'm going to put 10 qts of water in my mock up oil pan and see how high the oil level is. I'm not sure where it will be in comparison to my oil drain.
for context...this is the stock scheme. blue arrows point to lines that vent the heads...green arrow is hooked up to the intake tube prior to TB.

So vacuum will vent/circulate closed loop on the heads kinda like the PCV circuit...but that also leads me to think about what affect it has on the check ball.

I really want your idea to work because thats the route im considering. one of the parts in the manual is even called "turbocharger gasket" (from the LT1 manual )
Attached Images
   
wolfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 10:34 AM   #381
Choda
 
Drives: Turbo 6.2
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 552
interesting. I guess it makes sense. When cruising around the VAC sucks up the check ball not allowing the catch can to drain but also not allowing oil to be sucked up from the pan. Shut the car off and the VAC is gone allowing the check ball to drop which allows the oil from the catch can to drain back into the pan. Seems like a re circ pcv catch can. Good job GM.

Im hoping 10 qts in the pan is lower than the fitting. that way my gravity drain is 100% free flowing. I will def do this and let you know. One thing I saw could be an improvement is screwing a 90* ORB fitting right into the pan with a straight hose end instead of my straight fitting and 90* hose end. Any additional slope in a gravity drain is good.

Something like this
https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Fitt...075FRTPVJ?th=1
__________________
2016 Turbo Camaro - 808hp/856tq
2018 LTZ Z71 Redline Silverado - 381hp/420tq

Last edited by Choda; 04-15-2021 at 10:46 AM.
Choda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 12:40 PM   #382
wolfdog
 
wolfdog's Avatar
 
Drives: 2019 Camaro SS 1LE
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Houston
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choda View Post
man that looks like a winner there...might have to snag one up.
wolfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 11:27 AM   #383
RabbitZL1
 
Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfdog View Post
Nice to see you're getting back in action.

Ofcourse im here for the drain again...I'm wondering if removing the check ball was good/bad/indifferent...the ball was there to keep stuff from going back up the tube into the factory clean side vent can (only camaro LTs have this i believe) which was exposed to positive case pressure otherwise.

blowing through the line...i could hear air escaping the pcv obviously. I checked because im considering routing a line and pump to the catch can for my return. this raised the question...is the check ball vacuum actuated shut since a factory line from the stock intake is hooked up to the catch can? with no vacuum or boost the ball should remain open from the feed side and prevent opposing "splash" which may have stopped your leak from occuring.

this is all speculation though and i am in no way educated enough to say 100%...just a long winded thought.

I ran my scavenge pump straight to the air oil separator middle port and capped the outer 2. I also removed the check ball. I have about 200miles on the setup and itís been working fine. Only reason I did it this way was because the car was already together and I switched from air cooled turbos to conventional oiled. When I take to all apart again, going to remove the whole air oil separator setup and run the scavenge pump directly to the m22 port as well as remove the tube in the oil pan
RabbitZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 08:25 AM   #384
Choda
 
Drives: Turbo 6.2
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 552
I wanted to see the oil level in the pan with 10 qts vs the oil pan fitting I am using for a drain.

5 qts fills the pan level with the flat bracket thats above the pick up. Makes sense.

10 qts fills the pan all the way up to basically level with the top of the threaded hole I am using as a drain. So depending on how much of that 10 qtrs are up in the engine when running will decided if the fitting/hose hold oil or is a true open gravity drain.

A quick check would be to fire the car and check the oil level. How ever much it goes down on the stick from the full mark with the car off is how much down the oil level would be from the fitting. WHat would you guys think is actually up in the engine during run time... 1.5-2 quarts?

The check ball in that fitting would be up floating on the oil level and possibly shut the fitting when the car is off. Interesting discussion.
__________________
2016 Turbo Camaro - 808hp/856tq
2018 LTZ Z71 Redline Silverado - 381hp/420tq
Choda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 08:28 AM   #385
Choda
 
Drives: Turbo 6.2
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 552
5 qts
10 qts
Attached Images
   
__________________
2016 Turbo Camaro - 808hp/856tq
2018 LTZ Z71 Redline Silverado - 381hp/420tq
Choda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 10:48 AM   #386
wolfdog
 
wolfdog's Avatar
 
Drives: 2019 Camaro SS 1LE
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Houston
Posts: 66
So it seems near impossible to get unimpeded flow into the pan at 10qts engine off (10qts is with filter filled but that is negligible).

And if the check ball floats it would shut against the feed side considering pascals fluid dynamics while the case is pressurized...not the vacuum idea like i originally thought but it still would shut under the same operation since the tube goes to the bottom of the pan.

This is where removing the tube might be key...since fluid level might be below the drain level while in operation and not be exposed to the hydraulic displacement. I say might because we dont know whats going on while the car is in motion exposed to G force and the case isnt completely pressurized/oil pump doing its thing but I think it will be clear to drain.

So I think you and RabbitZL1 are on the best track.

Last edited by wolfdog; 04-19-2021 at 01:27 PM.
wolfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 01:26 PM   #387
wolfdog
 
wolfdog's Avatar
 
Drives: 2019 Camaro SS 1LE
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Houston
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitZL1 View Post
I ran my scavenge pump straight to the air oil separator middle port and capped the outer 2. I also removed the check ball. I have about 200miles on the setup and itís been working fine. Only reason I did it this way was because the car was already together and I switched from air cooled turbos to conventional oiled. When I take to all apart again, going to remove the whole air oil separator setup and run the scavenge pump directly to the m22 port as well as remove the tube in the oil pan
I like this idea but I dont like that if the pump fails then undesired results will occur. I actually have a CX Racing pump on hand for this exactly but dont really want to use it.
wolfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 04:03 PM   #388
RabbitZL1
 
Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfdog View Post
I like this idea but I dont like that if the pump fails then undesired results will occur. I actually have a CX Racing pump on hand for this exactly but dont really want to use it.
Turbowerx seems to be the go to pump. So far I have had no problems. I added a delay relay to keep the pump running after the car shuts off. I had a problem with the oil draining backwards and filling up the turbos causing them to smoke bad at start up. This happened because the turbos are lower than the pump. But now that I leave the pump running for a minute after, no more smoke. I havenít found any reports of turbowerx pumps failing.
RabbitZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 05:00 PM   #389
wolfdog
 
wolfdog's Avatar
 
Drives: 2019 Camaro SS 1LE
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Houston
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitZL1 View Post
Turbowerx seems to be the go to pump. So far I have had no problems. I added a delay relay to keep the pump running after the car shuts off. I had a problem with the oil draining backwards and filling up the turbos causing them to smoke bad at start up. This happened because the turbos are lower than the pump. But now that I leave the pump running for a minute after, no more smoke. I havenít found any reports of turbowerx pumps failing.
Yes those turbowerx seem to be the best option out there for scavenge pumps and if i do end up running a pump i would likely upgrade to that.

I suppose its no different than running a meth pump...just would have to keep an eye on it.

I seen some folks running one way check valves inline to help with that smoking/seal leaking.

are you running restrictors?
is your pump running full tilt all the time or are you controlling voltage somehow?
wolfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 06:33 AM   #390
Choda
 
Drives: Turbo 6.2
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 552
I used a 2 psi check valve in the low mount kit I did for a srt8 jeep. Solved all the issues w oil collection when the car was turned off.
__________________
2016 Turbo Camaro - 808hp/856tq
2018 LTZ Z71 Redline Silverado - 381hp/420tq
Choda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 06:06 PM   #391
Bruizer
 
Drives: Chevy Camaro
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfdog View Post
Yes those turbowerx seem to be the best option out there for scavenge pumps and if i do end up running a pump i would likely upgrade to that.

I suppose its no different than running a meth pump...just would have to keep an eye on it.

I seen some folks running one way check valves inline to help with that smoking/seal leaking.

are you running restrictors?
is your pump running full tilt all the time or are you controlling voltage somehow?

Been running a turbowerx Exa for over 10yrs on the 6.0 TT with zero failures nor issues.

It's wired directly to a solenoid/valve on the oil distribution block. Turns on when engine fire-up and off when shut down.
http://www.turbowerx.com/Scavenge_Pu.../Exa-Pump.html

Last edited by Bruizer; 04-20-2021 at 06:21 PM.
Bruizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 11:45 AM   #392
Choda
 
Drives: Turbo 6.2
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 552
The car has been sitting waiting for the last part to arrive. Once that is done, I'll be able to get it over to my tuner. Hoping it arrives soon.
__________________
2016 Turbo Camaro - 808hp/856tq
2018 LTZ Z71 Redline Silverado - 381hp/420tq
Choda is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Post Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.