Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-05-2021, 10:47 AM   #1
Brut4c

Drives: Toyota Tacoma, Dodge Viper SRT-10
Copper brake crush washer

Admitting this might be a dumb question but I’ve never seen this before. Helping my son do the RS to SS 4 piston caliper upgrade. Parts are already purchased (used, eBay). Anyway, I do know that the copper gaskets should never be reused, and was about to run to the auto parts store when I noticed that the inner gasket, the one that go’s against the caliper is triangle shaped and squeezed on to retain the banjo bolt and other gasket. Do I need to replace this with the same from a dealer or can standard round gaskets be used? Can’t believe I’m asking this but not taking chances with my kids brakes. Tia.

update Dealer part #; 21012386 WASHER. Only $.80 each.
Attached Images

Last edited by Brut4c; 04-19-2021 at 09:02 PM.
Brut4c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 08:15 PM   #2
mrgoodwrench
The Wicked Jester

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS Orange Crush Vert
I am glad you are doing this and I am interested in your success - I want to upgrade the stock calipers to the Brembo's on my wifes 2LT/RS - I drive her car along with my 2SS and am not happy with her brakes. This would include the triangle copper washer. I will be keeping track of this...
Old Car: 2010 Camaro Inferno Orange 2LT/RS
mrgoodwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 02:05 AM   #3
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
You can use a round crush washer. That’s even what the service replacements are.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 11:34 AM   #4
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
You can use a round crush washer. That’s even what the service replacements are.
Ditto. The triangle is likely only there to help with assembly since it keeps the banjo bolt and washer from falling off before it's bolted in.
Old 04-06-2021, 02:00 PM   #5
Brut4c

Sounds like we’re all on the same page here. My guess was also that the triangle is really a round gasket that’s pressed to capture the banjo bolt and both washers for assembly line ease. The dealer agreed with this (they’re close by so we swung in to ask). Anyway they had none in stock but the tech had one in his box which he gave us. We went to Napa and 4 new ones for $7. We’ll probably do the swap in the next weekend or two. Disappointed that a car like this comes with a single piston floating caliper front brake.
Old 04-19-2021, 08:59 AM   #6
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
I am assume your sons car had RPO JL9 same as mine. couple questions since you have done the swap. I am tracking my car this year and so far it seems like my best option and advice recieved is to upgrade my pads, QLocs on order, upgrade the fluid and buy a pressure bleeder. If I am not satisfied with these upgrades after my first track day I plan on upgrading to 4 piston brembos like your son. Questions, did you replace the calipers only, are the rotors the same size, I assume you had to change the caliper mounting brackets, did you change the dust shield, and are the brake lines the same, I was going to upgrade my lines to stainless but might wait if they are different on the brembos. any feedback would be appreciated.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 03:05 PM   #7
Brut4c

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpevans View Post
I am assume your sons car had RPO JL9 same as mine. couple questions since you have done the swap. I am tracking my car this year and so far it seems like my best option and advice recieved is to upgrade my pads, QLocs on order, upgrade the fluid and buy a pressure bleeder. If I am not satisfied with these upgrades after my first track day I plan on upgrading to 4 piston brembos like your son. Questions, did you replace the calipers only, are the rotors the same size, I assume you had to change the caliper mounting brackets, did you change the dust shield, and are the brake lines the same, I was going to upgrade my lines to stainless but might wait if they are different on the brembos. any feedback would be appreciated.
I have no idea what RPO JL9 is. Way to many numbers and letters with these cars. I’ll stick to my Viper. What I removed for him was a single piston sliding caliper brake, rotor and brake line. The rotors do get replaced and are 1” larger in diameter, new lines are needed as the banjo fitting at the caliper end is different. I did not touch the dust shield. There is no bracket to replace, the new caliper just bolts in place and is spaced correctly for the rotor. You will however need the caliper mounting bolts for the brembos, they are longer. You will also need 4 new crush washers from the dealer. Only $.80 each. Op is updated with the part number.
Attached Images

Last edited by Brut4c; 04-19-2021 at 09:07 PM.