Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 09-18-2019, 11:18 AM   #29
1LEThumper

Drives: 2020 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
The 1LE is just about the same. You can run it on track without the alignment and brake fluid swap, but not more than 8/10ths. The car really needs at least a good DOT 4 fluid. Add the alignment and some 40-weight oil and the car will track all day in 100 heat.

then the 2020 has one of those already done since they come 0w40 now from the factory.

I never ran the Shelby on OE fluid...it's got SRF in it, which I would do to the Camaro as well so maybe this fall I can get a better idea of how they both do.
1LEThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 02:52 PM   #30
Matos1LE

Drives: SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50MileSmile View Post
I can drive 150 in anything, go hot-air ballooning and hang out of the basket or even vote in a presidential election, but I’ll never drive a new Mustang again because they scare the crap out of me. YMMV.
voting in presidential elections is scary as hell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverDie View Post
You all had your last 100 degree day this year weeks ago... lmao
Plus I can tell you for certain that these cars don't really care about lapping when it is 110 degrees out and full sun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
Add the alignment and some 40-weight oil and the car will track all day in 100 heat.
Just because the car can handle doesn't mean the human in it can. I hate being outside right now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEThumper View Post
Brakes...while it might stop well on paper (haven't hit the track yet), it doesn't feel like it has the bite or pedal of the Shelby. If I had one disappointment it was here.
I felt the same way at first. Once I bedded the pads and really started braking hard at autocross, I quickly realized the car can brake hard enough to make your eyeballs want to pop out.
Matos1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 05:57 PM   #31
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy55 View Post
I love how the GT350 looks..... when I pass them on track! Seriously it was my 1st choice for a track car until I found the 1LE for 25K less
Ditto! Not one gt350 has passed me yet no matter what venue. Having said that, the updated model with Cup2s will surely gain in pace. But, at a huge price premium vs SS 1LE. NB Ford has further increased the msrp price of the Shelbies, to almost ridiculous levels for 2020 my.

Ive driven my good friend's GT350 on Arizona twisties for a whole day and as much as it is a very nice car, it felt heavy and not very communicative regarding limits as compared to the SS 1le. I was pushing it pretty good, but couldnt really tell what the rear was doing. The non leanear clutch engagement also takes a while to get used to. Great shifter tho. As a dd the car feels castrated due to its high rpm torque sweet spot. Sure, it makes nice noises, but the Camaro is much more rewarding with low rpm torque.

And btw, it takes a quart of oil at every fill up, which happens very often. No kidding here. Mileage sucks! Something is uber wrong with its motor. But it is a 2 yr lease so my friend doesnt care. My other track buddy had a GT350 and it spewed oil twice on a track. Something to do with a head gasket, but i cant recall details.
Ford has gone with a contrarian firing sequence on those motors. Proly to get a different sound signature. Maybe it wasnt a good idea. Who knows.

Fit and finish was also lacking, with some rattles on a brand new car. Perhaps running boards. Not sure.
All in all, a nice car, a historic nameplate, good performance, exotic motor, but not all there quality wise and a very high price.

My 2 cents based on first hand experience. Cheers!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 07:36 PM   #32
1LEThumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Ditto! Not one gt350 has passed me yet no matter what venue. Having said that, the updated model with Cup2s will surely gain in pace. But, at a huge price premium vs SS 1LE. NB Ford has further increased the msrp price of the Shelbies, to almost ridiculous levels for 2020 my.

Ive driven my good friend's GT350 on Arizona twisties for a whole day and as much as it is a very nice car, it felt heavy and not very communicative regarding limits as compared to the SS 1le. I was pushing it pretty good, but couldnt really tell what the rear was doing. The non leanear clutch engagement also takes a while to get used to. Great shifter tho. As a dd the car feels castrated due to its high rpm torque sweet spot. Sure, it makes nice noises, but the Camaro is much more rewarding with low rpm torque.

And btw, it takes a quart of oil at every fill up, which happens very often. No kidding here. Mileage sucks! Something is uber wrong with its motor. But it is a 2 yr lease so my friend doesnt care. My other track buddy had a GT350 and it spewed oil twice on a track. Something to do with a head gasket, but i cant recall details.
Ford has gone with a contrarian firing sequence on those motors. Proly to get a different sound signature. Maybe it wasnt a good idea. Who knows.

Fit and finish was also lacking, with some rattles on a brand new car. Perhaps running boards. Not sure.
All in all, a nice car, a historic nameplate, good performance, exotic motor, but not all there quality wise and a very high price.

My 2 cents based on first hand experience. Cheers!
I’m one of the odd ones...it doesn’t use hardly any oil at all. Now the flat plane crank....no idea why they did that and it’s a dumb idea all the way around. If the engine in that car ever lets go it will get a normal crank back in it. They just tend to shake the car apart.....had I known a little more about that prior to ordering it, I don’t know if I would have gotten the car. Either way, I got it for a reason.....my daughter’s name is Shelby and it will be her car one day....given she behaves (she’s 5 right now).

Can’t wait to see what the Camaro is like on track...I will say it has a gripper tire on it out of the factory (mine came with super sports) and tires will make all the difference in the world on track times. Probably why they went with Cup2’s on the new cars. Probably 2+ seconds at most tracks. It would be nice if GM did a similar package on the 1LE...have a track pack with cups, bigger splitter and wing then a street pack with 4S tires or something.
Old 09-18-2019, 07:54 PM   #33
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
I’m one of the odd ones...it doesn’t use hardly any oil at all. Now the flat plane crank....no idea why they did that and it’s a dumb idea all the way around. If the engine in that car ever lets go it will get a normal crank back in it. They just tend to shake the car apart.....had I known a little more about that prior to ordering it, I don’t know if I would have gotten the car. Either way, I got it for a reason.....my daughter’s name is Shelby and it will be her car one day....given she behaves (she’s 5 right now).

Can’t wait to see what the Camaro is like on track...I will say it has a gripper tire on it out of the factory (mine came with super sports) and tires will make all the difference in the world on track times. Probably why they went with Cup2’s on the new cars. Probably 2+ seconds at most tracks. It would be nice if GM did a similar package on the 1LE...have a track pack with cups, bigger splitter and wing then a street pack with 4S tires or something.
Well, i hope she behaves and gets the car. But given her name and all, I would be surprised if she didnt regardless You must be some Dad. Good on ya!!!

As far as the 1le on track. Assuming you know how to push a car, you'll be duly impressed. Including the tires. Those G3s are not some 4S equivalents. Ive tried Cup2s on mine and they were NOT any faster...Goodyear produced magic here with both G3 and G3R. Check out the thread on slicks in Road Course section and the tire comparo vid ive posted. 220 rating is a big joke!
Ive tracked a few cars and no other car had as sweet a balance as a 1le. Here's one data point for ya to ponder:
1le beat a mighty z28 at Laguna with higher weight to power ratio, no trick DSSV suspension, less than 90lb difference in weight and no 60 rated Trofeo R official semi slicks. Need i say more? Enjoy!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 10:37 PM   #34
Substandard

Drives: 1LE
I have driven a few GT350 at track days. If you are running the same rubber it's a driver's race. Anyone who says otherwise hasn't driven both.

I personally prefer the torque of the LT1. The voodoo reminds me of my old S65 M3. You have to rev it to make power. Which means you have to work harder shifting more. Most GT350 owners have a difficult time keeping their cars in the power band on track days. I tell drivers to keep it at 6k plus. Nope 4500rpms out of the apex, and the mx5 behind us is now looking for a point by...
Substandard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 11:11 PM   #35
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Substandard View Post
I have driven a few GT350 at track days. If you are running the same rubber it's a driver's race. Anyone who says otherwise hasn't driven both.

I personally prefer the torque of the LT1. The voodoo reminds me of my old S65 M3. You have to rev it to make power. Which means you have to work harder shifting more. Most GT350 owners have a difficult time keeping their cars in the power band on track days. I tell drivers to keep it at 6k plus. Nope 4500rpms out of the apex, and the mx5 behind us is now looking for a point by...
I miss listening to the S65 motor above 6K. That was my favorite part about that car. That motor had an amazing mechanical sound to it in the upper RPM range. No aftermarket exhaust needed.

Although I am sure I looked like an ass by everyone else, because I would drive it above 6K most of the time and my gas mileage was like 9 or 10, LOL

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 08:54 PM   #36
Substandard

Drives: 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
I miss listening to the S65 motor above 6K. That was my favorite part about that car. That motor had an amazing mechanical sound to it in the upper RPM range. No aftermarket exhaust needed.

Although I am sure I looked like an ass by everyone else, because I would drive it above 6K most of the time and my gas mileage was like 9 or 10, LOL

I put straight pipes on mine, eliminating the 4 cats. Best sounding exhaust on any car I've ever had. People at track days would always ask what I've done, or what custom race car engine it had. Haha.
Substandard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 02:06 PM   #37
birdmanf16

Drives: 2022 Zl1 1lE
Send a message via MSN to birdmanf16 Send a message via Yahoo to birdmanf16
1lEThumper....I am selling my new vorshlag camber plates for the SS 1LE. PM me if interested. Pete
birdmanf16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 10:13 AM   #38
Matos1LE

Drives: SS 1LE
Quote:
Now the flat plane crank....no idea why they did that and it’s a dumb idea all the way around. If the engine in that car ever lets go it will get a normal crank back in it. They just tend to shake the car apart.....
Flat plane cranks(FPC) work great and run smoother in Ferraris and sport bikes, it's more Ford's execution of the flat plane crank that sucks. They changed things versus the traditional FPC, in part to get a more American sound from it. I saw the following blurb on Edmunds:

"A side effect of the Voodoo's crankpin layout is an end-to-end vibration that traditional FPCs avoid. In geek-speak, the Voodoo has (in addition to the aforementioned second order side-to-side shake inherent to all FPCs) a first-order inertial unbalance. To counteract this end-to-end unbalance, the Voodoo's crank looks to have a big honkin' counterweight at each end that, say, a Ferrari V8 crank doesn't require."

They should have balanced it well and just let the darn thing sound like a Ferrari; it probably wouldn't shake itself apart- then again, they claim some of their design decisions were for packaging concerns.
Matos1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 01:01 PM   #39
1LEThumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdmanf16 View Post
1lEThumper....I am selling my new vorshlag camber plates for the SS 1LE. PM me if interested. Pete

I'm good for now, but thank you!
Old 10-02-2019, 10:15 AM   #40
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Substandard View Post
I put straight pipes on mine, eliminating the 4 cats. Best sounding exhaust on any car I've ever had. People at track days would always ask what I've done, or what custom race car engine it had. Haha.

S65 is the best engine I have owned(so far).
Old 10-02-2019, 11:42 PM   #41
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Thanks for sharing the comparison!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hailwood View Post
One thing I will note is that I was initially also underwhelmed by the brakes on my '19 1LE until I got them good and hot and fully bedded. Now they're as good as anything I've ever driven.
Agreed, they seem to gain a better pedal feel after a track session or two but I am happy with them on the street too when they seem to have slightly less intial bite.

My SS 1LE didn't tramline much with the stock alignment but after maxing out the front camber to -2.4° for track use it does a lot more...definitely need to keep hands on the wheel if the road isn't smooth!
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 12:35 AM   #42
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
S65 shouldve been in something lighter like a 1-series or z4 m. Also rod bearings.
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote