#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-23-2020, 10:27 PM   #57
Maro_89

Drives: High HP V8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank22 View Post
I've owned the Challenger, S550 Mustang and currently a 2020 ZL1 1LE.

I'll start with the Challenger. 1st of all it was constantly in Service for electrical, transmission and other software issues..... So bad I lemon law'd it and got my money back. When I could actually drive it... The road manners and ride quality were great. The driver ergonomics were great... for a road car. On the road course it was like trying to drive the titanic in a hail storm on Mt Everest. No grip, tons of body roll, horrible balance. In a straight line it was fun, but again, it's the Titanic.

S550 Mustang. This car was totally reliable. I used a Roush Phase 2 supercharger (727 HP), modded the suspension, replaced all suspension bushings with poly, swapped front and rear roll bars, added areo, gutted and caged it... really turned it into a track car. While it was stock the road manners were decent. Interior was cheap and not great ergonomically. The car drove nice on the street, was fun at the drag strip, but ultimately no matter what I did it just didn't have the speed I wanted on a road course. Stock they plow like a dump truck in Minnesota's winter. The brakes are ok but not great even with the Brembos. All in all its fun and reliable... but not amazing.

The ZL1 1LE is the finest out of the box car I've ever owned. Sure the ride quality isn't as good as the Challenger but its also not a land yacht. It's by no means as bad as people make it out to be. On stock tires and car I set my fastest lap ever on the road course. There simply is not a better out of the box car for road racing. I routinely pass GT350R's, Mclaren's, GT3 Porsche's, BMW M4's... pretty much everything. I love it so much I have a new 2021 ZL1 1LE that just came in this week and I'll be picking it up shortly.

Thanks for the detailed info here man good read. I was thrown off by peoples comments saying the ZLE was too rough or bumpy but one day I'll get in it again and really test it to see if it's that bad. Seems like a small handful of people seem to be ok with it.
Maro_89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 12:40 PM   #58
Tank22

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Wink 21 Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZRacerLE View Post
What's different about your incoming 2021 than your 2020?
For 21 the ZL1 1LE has the rear view mirror camera and wireless Apple Car Play/Android Audio.

I opted for the new Wild Cherry Tint-coat color that is now released but on pretty tight constraint (you won't see many of them). I also opted for the carbon dash that my 20 does not have. I actually checked every box so the car has an MSRP of $78,520.00

The accessories I buy under the Employee Purchase Program at work. (I'm a GM Accessories/Performance Territory Sales Manager)
Tank22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 10:49 AM   #59
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maro_89 View Post
I agree it is a great car. I started this thread as I was torn between these two cars. I ended up with a 2019 Hellcat Challenger. I love the car. It’s beautiful and menacing looking. Very comfortable daily driver/ road trip car. The whine and exhaust sound awesome and it’s funny when that whine grabs people’s attention through downtown or people on sidewalks. People or even little kids stare at the car when they hear the wine and I have the stock intake and can only imagine how it would sound with a Leg maker intake.

The handling isn’t so bad for what it is but it’s not sports car handling. When the car is put in track mode it will surprise you but again it’s not sports car handling. You just have to get to know the cars limits. Sometimes I question the Hellcats performance if it’s really fast enough but it’s because the power delivery is very smooth and linear and camouflages that feel of how fast you’re going especially in my A8.

I’ll admit sometimes I wonder what if I would have gone with the ZL1. Since you came from a Hellcat and now to the ZL1 do the ZL1’s brakes have much better stopping power than the Hellcat? Does your Hellcat seem faster than the ZL1 stock for stock as I’m curious how these two cars would do in a race? And why does the ZL1 seem boring?
First two paragraphs, spot on.

The ZL1 does stop quicker than the Hellcat but mostly because the Hellcat is 4400lbs, but its no slouch either. The Hellcat still outperforms cars that cost twice as much in braking. The Hellcat feels more violent when accelerating, the sound of the supercharger and the 8 gears in the auto are well chosen. It feels quick in track mode, the ZL1 feels smoother to the point of not even feeling as quick even though the numbers say it is close. The ZL1 drives great but doesn't give you that visceral feel that the Hellcat does. It just punches you in the gut.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 11:17 AM   #60
IneedAZ

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 & 2021 BMW M340i x Dr
I have had my 392 Daytona Charger for 2.5 years now for my DD. Nice car, much better sound system then my ZL1 Camaro. However, I am growing tired of driving a tank around. They need to change platforms and get the cars closer to the Fords and Chevys at 3900lbs. If they do that i may consider getting another, but at this point i would not buy another Dodge.

Sold 1967 Camaro Pro Street. Ran 10's mild BB on NOS.

2017 HyperBlue ZL1 A10 ** Born 3/17/17**Delivered 4/08/17
2020 Build: Mag2650, BTR Stage2, NW103, BG, 14% lower, 90mm upper, ARH 2" Long system w/no cats, SW Legend mufflers. **807hp/762tq on 93 gas** and **848hp/792tq on e47**

Sold 2018 (Go Mango) Dodge Charger Daytona 392 Daily Driver

Daily Driver 2021 BMW M340i Xdrive
IneedAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 03:09 PM   #61
Trak-Toy

Drives: 2023 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maro_89 View Post
Thanks for the detailed info here man good read. I was thrown off by peoples comments saying the ZLE was too rough or bumpy but one day I'll get in it again and really test it to see if it's that bad. Seems like a small handful of people seem to be ok with it.
I too was a little concerned about how rough the ZL1 1LE would be on typical roads around here. Now that I own one and have driven it a fair amount, the roughness is overblown iMO. It’s not THAT bad. I’ve driven cars on coil overs that were far worse. It’s not as comfortable as the mag ride is in tour mode, but it’s not punishing either.
Trak-Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 03:15 PM   #62
freddyfcs

Drives: soon
They’re both especial, each on their own category..Zle is unbeatable on the track but the hellcat is way smoother to drive around. Either way you can go wrong.
Attached Images

freddyfcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 05:01 PM   #63
Alain

Drives: 2016 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 ZL1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyfcs View Post
They’re both especial, each on their own category..Zle is unbeatable on the track but the hellcat is way smoother to drive around. Either way you can go wrong.
That's a nice pic !!!

2018 ZL1 1LE/Red hot

2019 Shellby GT 350R/ Oxford white/ Matte Black Stripes/ Carbon Fiber Dash/ Electronics Package #413
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 06:56 PM   #64
freddyfcs

Drives: soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain View Post
That's a nice pic !!!
Thanks man..I have the other way around too
Attached Images

freddyfcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 10:29 PM   #65
gaveup

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 M6
One thing to take into consideration is insurance cost. I know when I got a quote the hellcat was double the cost of the zl1. Probably due to my area and people stealing hellcat parts to put on their v6s and R/Ts? I don’t know but that kind of surprised me.
gaveup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 10:54 AM   #66
ZX-10R

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Riverside
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank22 View Post
I'll start with the Challenger. On the road course it was like trying to drive the titanic in a hail storm on Mt Everest. No grip, tons of body roll, horrible balance. In a straight line it was fun, but again, it's the Titanic.
I never understood why any sports car enthusiast would buy a big boat Challenger, it has absolutely zero appeal for me. It seems to appeal to the extra chesseburger straight line profile crowd

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddy
the hellcat is way smoother to drive around.
That's why you buy a regular ZL1 with adjustable suspension for the street.
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 07:11 PM   #67
SS 376

Drives: 2010 IBM 1SS (Former)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaveup View Post
One thing to take into consideration is insurance cost. I know when I got a quote the hellcat was double the cost of the zl1. Probably due to my area and people stealing hellcat parts to put on their v6s and R/Ts? I don’t know but that kind of surprised me.
Lots of Hellcats end up wrecked, unsurprisingly.
SS 376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 07:19 PM   #68
ZRacerLE

Drives: The DSSV Twins: ZR2 and ZLE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-10R View Post
I never understood why any sports car enthusiast would buy a big boat Challenger, it has absolutely zero appeal for me. It seems to appeal to the extra chesseburger straight line profile crowd

That's why you buy a regular ZL1 with adjustable suspension for the street.
Challengers and Chargers are the last muscle cars. Mustangs and Camaros are proper sports cars now. I love the attitude of the Hellcat. Wouldn't mind daily driving one.
ZRacerLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 05:47 AM   #69
Z OH 6

I have both and they're just different but both are great for what they're designed for. Comparing them is a little silly because they have different design goals. The Hellcat feels brutally quick, raw and powerful, and very cozy on the inside. The ZL1 feels more sports car like, smoother and less violent.
Old 09-28-2020, 05:48 AM   #70
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 376 View Post
Lots of Hellcats end up wrecked, unsurprisingly.
I blame Dodge for equipping them with woefully undersized 275/40/20 all season tires as standard equipment. Great for burnouts but terrible for people that can't drive responsibly.