Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

AWE Tuning

Old 05-07-2020, 12:57 PM   #15
GuywithL86

Drives: Black
Wow that is really low. As most of you may know, the trucks have the same drivetrains. We actually have a trans thermostat that doesn’t start flowing until 190 degrees. So even in the dead of winter I’m at 190-200 degrees.

I’d say you guys have absolutely nothing to worry about with trans temps.
GuywithL86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 08:17 PM   #16
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Wish the C7 corvette had this problem they heat up pretty quick.
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 08:29 AM   #17
Th3Beast

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Transmission temps are nothing to worry about in this car. I'm in FL, and in the summer time, daily driving the fluid would get to 100-110. On track (Sebring and The FIRM), I'd see 190-205 or so. I can pull the PDR data if need be.

This car is no issues with heat, period. I've done many sessions at Sebring and the only thing that made me come off track is session time runs out, tires give up, low on gas.
Old 05-17-2020, 02:07 PM   #18
LESS1

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3Beast View Post
Transmission temps are nothing to worry about in this car. I'm in FL, and in the summer time, daily driving the fluid would get to 100-110. On track (Sebring and The FIRM), I'd see 190-205 or so. I can pull the PDR data if need be.

This car is no issues with heat, period. I've done many sessions at Sebring and the only thing that made me come off track is session time runs out, tires give up, low on gas.
^This. Last August I had an open track day on Summit Point Shenandoah circuit which is a very technical 2.2 mile – 20 turn track with only 2 real straights (https://summitpoint-raceway.com/trac...ndoah-circuit/) to cool things off. Ambient temps were 100 plus deg with over 120 deg on track. My first and last sessions were ~45mins and trans temp peaked at 189 deg. After each session coming off track, I was blasting the AC in the paddock for 10 plus mins to get my body temp down. In fact I didn't bother to raise the hood the entire day in between sessions and the car never got hot. As was previously mentioned these cars are designed to handle track days. Hot days and tires, well that is another topic!
LESS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 11:39 AM   #19
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Normal driving on the street after a couple hours, ambient in the low 60º's, I was around 110-115º. Ambients in the low 80º's and I was closer to 125-135º.

Cooler days in the 40º's and several hours still nets a gauge stuck at 100º.

I think the highest I've seen on the street in the summer is about 150.
Old 08-03-2020, 12:37 AM   #20
SloCal

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE
checking back in here because this situation still confuses me...
Was driving 70 mph highway and some stop and go for a couple hours this past weekend and the fluid was slightly over 150 in 80-100 degree ambient temperatures. That's at 1600-2000 rpm cruising the freeway.

Have Redline D4 ATF -- can't recall ever seeing this on my 2016 with Amsoil but maybe I never checked when it was hot.

I recall seeing people say 150 at the track so wondering if this is cause for concern? Also wondering if maybe it was because I screwed something up on the rear diff fluid swap? have since filled up the trans fluid all the way to see if that makes a difference

2nd 6th gen
SPL Toe Arms/Brembo HTC64t/Corsa NPP/Tremec MTF Fluid
SloCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 01:32 AM   #21
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
My old fluid having v6 has the trans fluid moving between 160 and 190 in fairly regularly traffic.

It has about 35k miles on it.

I'll be switching the fluid to the new formula this week over the course of the next couple weeks.

But I get the feeling that it is normal to see high trans temps in traffic vs cruising or even some tracks
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 07:37 AM   #22
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
My old fluid having v6 has the trans fluid moving between 160 and 190 in fairly regularly traffic.

It has about 35k miles on it.

I'll be switching the fluid to the new formula this week over the course of the next couple weeks.

But I get the feeling that it is normal to see high trans temps in traffic vs cruising or even some tracks
Those temps are very normal for the V6, since we don't have the extra coolers like the SS and 1LE
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 09:00 AM   #23
Th3Beast

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloCal View Post
checking back in here because this situation still confuses me...
Was driving 70 mph highway and some stop and go for a couple hours this past weekend and the fluid was slightly over 150 in 80-100 degree ambient temperatures. That's at 1600-2000 rpm cruising the freeway.

Have Redline D4 ATF -- can't recall ever seeing this on my 2016 with Amsoil but maybe I never checked when it was hot.

I recall seeing people say 150 at the track so wondering if this is cause for concern? Also wondering if maybe it was because I screwed something up on the rear diff fluid swap? have since filled up the trans fluid all the way to see if that makes a difference
Check my post #17. If the trans temps are 150 on track, you're not driving very hard. 190-200 degrees would be normal being driven hard on track in the heat. I had Royal Purple fluid in there, but I can't see that making that big of difference. I ran multiple track days with the OEM fluid and temps were similar.

I honestly wouldn't be that concerned with temperatures. Of course keep an eye on them when on track to make sure everything is working as designed.
But as long as there is no damage to any of the heat exchanges/radiators up front and all fluids are topped off, this car is ready to be beat down on the track.

Again, I can show some of my PDR data if need be, but my car literally NEVER missed a beat. At Sebring in August a couple years ago:
  • Max Water Temp - 219
  • Max Engine Oil Temp - 279
  • Max Trans Oil Temp - 194
Old 08-07-2020, 12:39 AM   #24
1BlueSS

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Makes me think I have something wrong with mine. Last time I drove it, temps were in the 80’s and trans temp quickly got up to ~150* of just normally city driving.

1BlueSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 11:38 AM   #25
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
Yea, regardless of the car, I start with coolant and trans fluid temps being about the same when warmed up
JSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 09:44 PM   #26
1BlueSS

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
So I’ve got two questions, hopefully y’all can help... maybe I’m reading this wrong but per GM...

“6. Install the transmission fill plug to the transmission and tighten the fill plug to 27 Y (20 lb ft).

Note: Inspect the clip for proper retention on the cooler line to the bracket. Replace the clip as necessary.

7. Reconnect the clip (1) retaining the cooler pipe to the transmission bracket.

Note: Ensure the clutch pedal is NOT depressed.

8. Run the engine in Neutral for two minutes to allow the fluid to recirculate.

9. Remove the fill plug and verify the fluid level is 3.2 mm (1/8 inch) below the fill plug hole. Add or remove transmission fluid as necessary.

10. Install the transmission fill plug to the transmission and tighten the fill plug to 27 Y (20 lb ft).

11. Lower the vehicle.”

How can the clutch pedal not be depressed when you need to start the car to run in neutral for two minutes?!

And second... after a short drive, this was my trans temp....

The rear cooler lines were hot, like the pump was working, but the front cooler seemed cold. Not even close in temp to the cooler lines going to the rear. But I pulled the lines off on each side and there’s fluid on each side of the cooler.

So why is my trans getting so hot? I know it’s a manual and I probably shouldn’t be worrying about this issue, but it seems hot especially when I read other posts and everyone says that theirs hardly ever moves off the 100* line.

Using the GM fluid, and outside temps were in the 90’s while I was driving.

Thanks for any help guys!

1BlueSS is offline   Reply With Quote