Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

Phastek Performance

Old 10-22-2018, 08:26 AM   #71
onefastchick

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS Vert
I guess I will wait to take mine back in then. The TC flush did nothing, the TC replacement was a joke, had the rear end replaced next... yep still have a shudder. For the mean time I will use my paddle shifters as when I am in manual mode the shudder is gone which as a non mechanic seems to make sense to me if I am understanding the purpose of a TC. Here's to hoping that GM comes out with an actual fix, I'm just glad I only have 10k miles on mine so I have time in my warranty for them to figure this out and if my transmission takes a dive in the mean time I can get it fixed under the warranty. Really wishing I had kept searching for a manual transmission when I bought mine.
Old 10-23-2018, 06:57 AM   #72
dmcmahan60

Drives: 2017 SS
Mine has gotten progressively worse since Friday when I took it to the dealership and they confirmed it. It is bed enough I do not even want to drive it. Waiting on a call from the dealership to see when they can put me in a rental car, plus the did not fix the squealing belt or tensioner from the last time it was in for repair. Will have to play the waiting game now. :(
dmcmahan60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 10:35 AM   #73
RCF

Drives: '17 2SS, NGM, MRC, DPP; '19 F150
Well, my SS has 13XXX miles, and I had never experienced it until this morning.

Felt like running over a short rumble strip every 50ft and rpms would bounce and drop 50-100rpms each time. Is that what you guys experience?

Called my dealer and they said the only "fix" at the moment is flush until Q1 2019, same as the rest of you guys.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:48 AM   #74
bturner2

Drives: 2SS, Hyper Blue, Sunroof, NPP, MRC
I'll find out what they say on Thursday when I'm back for round 2. The flush lasted about 8K miles. That should get me till next summer. The big question is will this still be covered under warranty? By that time I'll be past my 3/36.
bturner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 11:10 AM   #75
Kedavis

Drives: 2017 garnet red ss
They told me yesterday no more torque converter swaps, I had mine flushed about 4k miles ago. He said they can do a single flush to get me by until this repair is ready. He suspects there is going to be an upgraded converter..lol I hope so. I'm opting to go with an aftermarket triple disk lockup and be do with it.
Kedavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 11:10 AM   #76
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
I'll find out what they say on Thursday when I'm back for round 2. The flush lasted about 8K miles. That should get me till next summer. The big question is will this still be covered under warranty? By that time I'll be past my 3/36.
It's under powertrain not the base warranty.
Nsxmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 11:12 AM   #77
Gutling

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro 2.0 LT
I am dropping mine off in the morning. I am a little above 14xxx, '17 model. Its been doing it a few weeks but I did not realize it until last weekend when driving back and forth helping someone move. with cruise about 60 it would just randomly rumble, like i went of the road. Not shifting, slight acceleration.
Gutling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 11:14 AM   #78
dmcmahan60

Drives: 2017 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCF View Post
Well, my SS has 13XXX miles, and I had never experienced it until this morning.

Felt like running over a short rumble strip every 50ft and rpms would bounce and drop 50-100rpms each time. Is that what you guys experience?

Called my dealer and they said the only "fix" at the moment is flush until Q1 2019, same as the rest of you guys.

That is exactly what it feels like and what happened to me.
dmcmahan60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 11:19 AM   #79
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutling View Post
I am dropping mine off in the morning. I am a little above 14xxx, '17 model. Its been doing it a few weeks but I did not realize it until last weekend when driving back and forth helping someone move. with cruise about 60 it would just randomly rumble, like i went of the road. Not shifting, slight acceleration.
Why? The new fix will be out in a couple of months. They aren't going to do anything to fix it so it will be a wasted trip. Just drive it until the fix is out and get it done right.
Nsxmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 11:33 AM   #80
Gutling

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro 2.0 LT
I had appointment before seeing the new tsb. im going to talk to them about it in the morning about waiting, but was not clear if it was fine to wait. Is the shudder just an annoyance, nothing long term damaged?
Gutling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 12:08 PM   #81
crosive

Drives: 18 zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutling View Post
I had appointment before seeing the new tsb. im going to talk to them about it in the morning about waiting, but was not clear if it was fine to wait. Is the shudder just an annoyance, nothing long term damaged?
the shudder is just the beginning of something already damaged. the friction plates on the TC are no longer sufficient for it to stay locked with the low pressure pump that the car will use while cruising. The car allows a small amount of rotation before it kicks in the high pressure pump to lock the TC back down. the transition between what is aforementioned is when the shudder happens, and as you can tell, it happens multiple times, quickly.

stock parts and stock tune won't fix this. If you are shuddering, you can, at best, bandaid it with a new, better built, TC and some good fluid with the proper friction modifier.

if you don't flush your tranny fluid, the plate material from the TC will ingress the tranny fluid and possibly cause issues later on, that's why first and foremost they do a triple flush, to get rid of all the material.

bad news is, if you wait too long, you can potentially damage your whole transmission because of all the material floating around in your fluid and getting into and on the clutch packs. maybe you'll still be under warranty if that happens.
crosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 12:54 AM   #82
JaxChris

Drives: '16 2SS GD1 MX0 NPP F55 IO6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsxmatt View Post
It's under powertrain not the base warranty.
My service department said that existing cases that were opened under B2B are treated as B2B follow-ups as long as you're still in your powertrain term.
JaxChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 01:01 AM   #83
JaxChris

Drives: '16 2SS GD1 MX0 NPP F55 IO6
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosive View Post
the shudder is just the beginning of something already damaged. the friction plates on the TC are no longer sufficient for it to stay locked with the low pressure pump that the car will use while cruising. The car allows a small amount of rotation before it kicks in the high pressure pump to lock the TC back down. the transition between what is aforementioned is when the shudder happens, and as you can tell, it happens multiple times, quickly.

stock parts and stock tune won't fix this. If you are shuddering, you can, at best, bandaid it with a new, better built, TC and some good fluid with the proper friction modifier.

if you don't flush your tranny fluid, the plate material from the TC will ingress the tranny fluid and possibly cause issues later on, that's why first and foremost they do a triple flush, to get rid of all the material.

bad news is, if you wait too long, you can potentially damage your whole transmission because of all the material floating around in your fluid and getting into and on the clutch packs. maybe you'll still be under warranty if that happens.
The TCM is pulsating lockup as well to create the 'slip' which is an attempt to coverup the vibration from AFM (V4) mode. Not only does it wear the TCC, it also causes rapid ups and downs of torque applied to the overdrive gears. The clutches and bands on the overdrive gears are not equipped to handle anything but smooth, gradual power input. It's almost like wiggling a saw against those bands from the back and forth in pressure/torque.

If your TC has gotten so bad that the lockup solenoid has a delay to build sufficient pressure to engage lockup, you're doing the same thing to reverse, 1st and probably 2nd gear.

All told, the only gears in the transmission that aren't at risk of damage are probably 3-5th -- as even the 1:1 gear (6th) is suffering from the pulse during extended city speed driving.
JaxChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 06:53 AM   #84
jcastag

Drives: 2017 Camaro FIFTY 2SS
Here's a question I have and I don't know if I've ever seen it anywhere. Is the torque converter issue and shutter issue isolated only to the 8-cylinder models? If that's the case then it probably directly is impacted buy the active fuel management system
jcastag is offline   Reply With Quote