Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 06-14-2014, 10:17 AM   #337
macman2212
Alex

Drives: 2011 2SS
Sorry for being late. Where can I buy this kit? Didn't see it on gen5diy website.
Old 06-14-2014, 10:32 AM   #338
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Best is to call or pm.

Sent from the seat of my Z/28 using 5th gen telepathy.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 06:48 PM   #339
JAustin

Drives: (sold) 2011 2LT/RS auto, SW/tan top
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagliaro View Post
I tried the pins on the harness but couldn't figure out how to pull and switch them so I just swapped where I did. It was also the easiest to access as it was next to my driver side trim.
I haven't gotten to my camera install yet, so I've yet to determine whether the video leads are reversed in my kit.

If they are reversed, after my frustrating experience installing pins in the MyLink and OnStar connectors, I would also opt for switching the wires at one end of the video cable and re-soldering, rather than to risk damaging the wiring in the camera's connector.

Last edited by JAustin; 06-15-2014 at 07:37 PM.
JAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 06:58 PM   #340
flyer08
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post
No need to solder, its 2 pins on the camera connecter that need to move, the inside ones need to flip, ( move yellow to black and black to yellow) dont know how that hepend, i think it was the last 40 that we got where wired diffrent and i did not find out till
I bought the camera from you guys about 3 weeks ago but havnt installed it. So i need to change wires around?

Couldn't get my username/pw to work so havnt read directions yet
flyer08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 07:36 PM   #341
JAustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer08 View Post
I bought the camera from you guys about 3 weeks ago but havnt installed it. So i need to change wires around?

There are directions?!?
Old 06-16-2014, 11:32 AM   #342
flyer08
Account Suspended

I hope so. But their website won't let me login even after I requested new pw. Hoping to find them soon when I get free weekend
Old 06-16-2014, 11:51 AM   #343
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
I hope so. But their website won't let me login even after I requested new pw. Hoping to find them soon when I get free weekend
If you need help call or PM us.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 12:21 PM   #344
JAustin

Quote:
Sorry, I was trying to be humorous. There are some pretty good instructions on Gen5DIY's site, illustrated with lots of photos.

Here's the link: http://www.gen5diy.com/DIY_kits/back...p-camera-kit-2

Scroll down the page a bit, and click on the red tab labeled "Installation Instructions." You shouldn't have to be logged in to access this page.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:58 PM   #345
bthibodeaux

Drives: Black 2011 2SS/RS M6 Vert
For those doing this install I am just letting you know that I just posted a set of 2012/2013 door switch panels for sale in the classifieds. No need to buy the entire door panels with these.
2011 Black 2SSRS M6 Vert, Nitto Invos on HRE P40s (20X11 rear, 20X9 front), lowered 1" on Pfadt coilovers, Eibach sway bars, American Racing frame brace, Brembo big brakes (16" front, 15" rear), ZR1 dual disc clutch, MGW Shifter, 3.91 gears with Eaton Truetrac and LPW cover, DSS 1000HP axles, DSS 3.5" aluminum drive shaft, Magnacharger with RDS Stage II and 2.8" pulley, Lingenfelter GT9 Cam, GM CNC ported heads, American Racing LT headers with high flow cats, custom 3" exhaust with Magnaflow mufflers and resonator (630 RWHP).

bthibodeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:04 PM   #346
Pagliaro
RIP Betsy ( Vitara )

Drives: '11 SGM 1LT/RS
Send a message via AIM to Pagliaro Send a message via MSN to Pagliaro Send a message via Yahoo to Pagliaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAustin View Post
I haven't gotten to my camera install yet, so I've yet to determine whether the video leads are reversed in my kit.

If they are reversed, after my frustrating experience installing pins in the MyLink and OnStar connectors, I would also opt for switching the wires at one end of the video cable and re-soldering, rather than to risk damaging the wiring in the camera's connector.
By far the easiest option in my opinion (As I did it)

Love the reverse cam.

First retrofitted 2014 mylink.
Pagliaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:23 PM   #347
flyer08
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post
If you need help call or PM us.
Thanks, wasnt calling you out. Just havnt had time to even attempt to install and thought i had to login

Quote:
Sorry, I was trying to be humorous. There are some pretty good instructions on Gen5DIY's site, illustrated with lots of photos.

Here's the link: http://www.gen5diy.com/DIY_kits/back...p-camera-kit-2

Scroll down the page a bit, and click on the red tab labeled "Installation Instructions." You shouldn't have to be logged in to access this page.
I read the humor, it's all good. I was just confused finding the instructions and thought i had to be logged in. Thanks for pointing that out
Old 06-16-2014, 08:41 PM   #348
layzurguy
Ride On!!!!

Drives: 2012 SS Ragtop
Quote:

Should others, like me, be concerned about the splitter being wired wrong? Mine should be here tomorrow. I guess it is pretty easy to test with a DVD player, or the VCR in the attic, and a tv.

Last edited by layzurguy; 06-16-2014 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Word missing
layzurguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:11 PM   #349
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

Drives: 2011 Silver Ice Metallic 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Well, I got back to the MyLink project this afternoon / evening, and took another crack at finishing up the install.

The first thing I did was double-check the X2 connector to the OnStar module, since the voice recognition system wasn't "hearing" me. I found that the connector wasn't firmly seated into the OnStar, and determined that the cause was the little locking / unlocking panel ... it wasn't seated firmly on the connector, so the connector wouldn't lock into the OnStar.

I seated the locking panel into the X2 connector with a set of channel locks, plugged the X2 connector into the OnStar module until it clicked, and voila! Voice recognition at last!

From there, I ran the video wire for the backup camera to the trunk. I don't know how difficult that job is with a coupe, but it was no fun on the convertible! Finally got it channeled through a path I was happy with.

The Step 9 video on my DVD wouldn't play, but comparing the new harness to the old, it was a pretty straightforward job removing the old one and installing the new. I installed the console, then stopped to test the USB port with my iPod, and that worked fine.

Next, I attempted to install the gauge pack, but no matter what I tried, I couldn't get it into position as is. I'm going to have to do the corner trim with my Dremel, but I decided to quit for the night, before I did any major damage (tired, sweaty & impatient at this point). At least I was able to confirm that all the gauges, the traction control switch, 12V outlet and lighting still work.

Once I've trimmed the gauge pack, I'll install it, the console side panels and rear cap, and I'll be done! (Done, that is, with the exception of the rear camera install. I'm going to drive the car a bit, and give it the oil change it now needs, before tackling that relatively minor project.)
I had totally forgotten I had to do the same thing with mine. Vice grips here! That sucker would not go back down without a lot of brute force.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:46 AM   #350
ShadoChaser
Gamer & Ghosthunter!

Drives: 2010 GCN 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagliaro View Post
By far the easiest option in my opinion (As I did it)

Love the reverse cam.
Me as well, Seemed easier than trying to take the pins out of the connector.