Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-26-2023, 05:24 AM   #1
dsm_mikey

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE
Anyone else on here move on from a GT350R to a Zl1 1LE?

I took delivery of a 2023 ZL1 1LE 2 weeks ago now. I just sold my 2016 GT350R yesterday. I ordered the GT350R new and it was not an easy process! I enjoyed every minute of my journey!

I am looking forward to spending time with my new ZL1 1LE this summer!

Anyone else make a similar change as well?

Mike
dsm_mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 06:44 AM   #2
NashZL1

Drives: 2022 Camaro ZL1
Sorta kinda...
Bought a new 2022 ZL1 A10 in February 2022, and then added a 2020 Shelby GT500 (3,500 miles) on October 2022. Too soon to decide whether to keep both. Both fantastic machines.

2020 Genesis G90 Ultimate
2019 Mercedes-Benz SL450
2017 Corvette Grand Sport A8
2016 Hyundai Equus Ultimate
1971 Datsun 240Z
NashZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 09:20 AM   #3
ZL1 1LE
@zle_blackwing

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm_mikey View Post
I took delivery of a 2023 ZL1 1LE 2 weeks ago now. I just sold my 2016 GT350R yesterday. I ordered the GT350R new and it was not an easy process! I enjoyed every minute of my journey!

I am looking forward to spending time with my new ZL1 1LE this summer!

Anyone else make a similar change as well?

Mike

I refused delivery on my GT350R and turned around and bought a ZLE. No regrets.
Old 01-26-2023, 09:30 AM   #4
BROCKgoFAST

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
I did! I had a GT350R that I tracked and used as my fun car. Was an amazing machine but i wanted the ZL1 1LE before I got the Shelby so it was always in my head.

The ZL1 1LE just does everything better than the Shelby GT350R. Having all the creature comforts in the ZLE and being faster in every portion is amazing. The GT350R is a special car but at the price not having normal creature comforts that all modern sports cars at that price point have is a little disappointing.

I love my ZL1 1LE!!!

www.youtube.com/brockgofast
is my channel and I did reviews and track days in both cars
BROCKgoFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 01:06 PM   #5
1sickzl1

Drives: 2022 ZL1 M6
I drove a GT350 a few times and while the glorious screaming N/A 8,400 rpm redline was intoxicating. The torque down low was comical. The ZL1 can do the same things better and is all around a better car imo - and I'm a huge fan of the GT350. If money wasn't an object I'd have a GT350R twin turbo along side my ZL1

RF intake, Soler TB & TC, ADM v2 reservoir, AWE Touring non-resonated catback exhaust.

535 whp, 537 tq. SAE Smoothing: 5. DynoJet.
No tune. 91 octane.
1sickzl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 09:16 PM   #6
passwords

Drives: 2019 ZLE, 2019 GT350R
I was considering several different cars when I ultimately bought my 2019 GT350R new in June of 2019. I couldn’t stop thinking about the ZLE though, and ended up buying a 2019 ZLE about 9 months after getting the R. I still have both cars and have put on a little more than 10k miles combined - 6k on the ZLE and 4k on the R. They are both weekend toys for my wife and me, not daily drivers. I’ve switched between both cars many times, driving them back-to-back, and my wife and I often take both cars out to rip around together.

There’s no question, the ZLE is objectively faster, both in a straight line and on a road course. It does also have a few more (not significant) creature comforts than the R, like cooled seats that are really nice on a hot summer afternoon.

That being said, I just like the GT350R better. While I don’t mind the DSSV suspension in the ZLE, the magneride suspension in the R makes for a better driving experience on the street. I also prefer the manual Recaro seats in the R…the seat motors in the ZLE are far too slow and add unnecessary weight. The R is lighter than the ZLE, and it feels much much lighter with the carbon fiber wheels. And of course ringing out the voodoo to 8200 rpms can only be described as a religious experience. I normally shift around 4500 rpms in regular traffic because that’s where it’s most comfortable. It’s just a really fun car to drive and only beats you up when you ask it to.

Now if you are looking for the best value between the two cars, the ZLE wins hands down. The ZLE is severely under appreciated, and values in the used car market reflect that. But considering how good, and relatively bullet proof, these cars really are I have to think the market will catch up at some point and finally realize what a performance bargain they are. I cannot count the number of times 16 to 28 year old kids have chased me down telling me the ZLE is their dream car (they can’t afford one). And anyone over about 45 looks at the aero on the car and is immediately offended by it (get a life and stop being so boring people).

OP, if you enjoyed owning the GT350R, you will also enjoy the ZLE. They really are incredible cars. Congrats on the purchase.
passwords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 09:33 PM   #7
taylorforschool@gmail.com
PKG4U

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by passwords View Post
I was considering several different cars when I ultimately bought my 2019 GT350R new in June of 2019. I couldn’t stop thinking about the ZLE though, and ended up buying a 2019 ZLE about 9 months after getting the R. I still have both cars and have put on a little more than 10k miles combined - 6k on the ZLE and 4k on the R. They are both weekend toys for my wife and me, not daily drivers. I’ve switched between both cars many times, driving them back-to-back, and my wife and I often take both cars out to rip around together.

There’s no question, the ZLE is objectively faster, both in a straight line and on a road course. It does also have a few more (not significant) creature comforts than the R, like cooled seats that are really nice on a hot summer afternoon.

That being said, I just like the GT350R better. While I don’t mind the DSSV suspension in the ZLE, the magneride suspension in the R makes for a better driving experience on the street. I also prefer the manual Recaro seats in the R…the seat motors in the ZLE are far too slow and add unnecessary weight. The R is lighter than the ZLE, and it feels much much lighter with the carbon fiber wheels. And of course ringing out the voodoo to 8200 rpms can only be described as a religious experience. I normally shift around 4500 rpms in regular traffic because that’s where it’s most comfortable. It’s just a really fun car to drive and only beats you up when you ask it to.

Now if you are looking for the best value between the two cars, the ZLE wins hands down. The ZLE is severely under appreciated, and values in the used car market reflect that. But considering how good, and relatively bullet proof, these cars really are I have to think the market will catch up at some point and finally realize what a performance bargain they are. I cannot count the number of times 16 to 28 year old kids have chased me down telling me the ZLE is their dream car (they can’t afford one). And anyone over about 45 looks at the aero on the car and is immediately offended by it (get a life and stop being so boring people).

OP, if you enjoyed owning the GT350R, you will also enjoy the ZLE. They really are incredible cars. Congrats on the purchase.

This had to of been the write up you were looking for, I’ve never been in a 350 but I feel as if you have made it crystal clear for me. Look forward to experiencing it sometime

Mods after Warranty “Imma keep it stock”
taylorforschool@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 07:20 AM   #8
jvandy50

Drives: 18 ZL1-1LE, 10 JKU
didn't have an R, but i had a regular shadow black 17 model 350 that gave me the other side of the 350 experience...

splitter falling off at 145mph, naturally blamed on me, so i showed the dealer the places they forgot to install hardware...only for them to quite literally skip them again after finally getting me a new one under warranty. so i had to follow the 5min ford performance video that i'd already sent to dealer.

oil consumption...over half the life of the car(12k miles i had her) were spent monitoring and testing my 3 legged gazelle at the dealer, so i could get a new motor. drinking a quart every 350 miles.

they gave it back to me after engine replacement with a CEL TWICE! lol

needless to say i was happy to get rid of it. my previous coyote revved almost as far and just as fast, the FPC had all the advantages of it stripped away to make it work. it's the best looking mustang that i'll never love lol
jvandy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 07:49 AM   #9
HemiDave

Drives: ZLE/DEMON/GLADIATOR/GSXR1000R/ZX10R
That engine in the Mustang GT350's is both loved... and hated.

2018 Dodge Demon #1399
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon 6 speed manual
2023 ZL1 1LE 6 speed manual
2018 Suzuki GSXR 1000R
2021 Kawasaki ZX10R
HemiDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 08:53 AM   #10
Checkmate1

Drives: Garnet Red / ZL1 1LE
I drove a GT350 prior to the ZLE, there was a huge disconnect in the 350 between the powertrain and chassis. The sound was driven by the exhaust and not induction.

With the ZLE - the single best thing about it is the Alpha chassis. Just bloody brilliant.

The other upside with the ZLE is that the LT4 was overengineered to be reliable and bomb proof on track. With the 350 however...there are countless threads about the motor issues.
Old 01-27-2023, 11:05 AM   #11
jjgi5150

Drives: 2022 ZL1 1LE
Hi all,

I love the look of the GT350R, but everyone I’ve talked with and all I’ve read about it made me disconnect from the idea of one. On top of that I didn’t like the manual trans ratios either. Plus some over the top dealer mark-ups made it a no-go for sure.

A friend got one, paid the outrageous price he did, and had continual oil consumption issues. He only drove it as a street ride and never abused it. After all the issues he sold it and bought a C7 Z06.

I liked the idea of it, but I think their application of the idea fell short.

IMO, for far less money the ZLE is such a better choice.

JJ
2023 Hyundai SF Calligraphy
jjgi5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 11:31 AM   #12
passwords

Drives: 2019 ZLE, 2019 GT350R
I know I won’t change the minds of people who REALLY want to hate the GT350/GT350R, especially the self taught internet engineers who are experts in the FPC design. But I’ll make a few observations. If you just want to hate the GT350 don’t bother reading below.

1. The voodoo engine “failures” have been primarily related to oil consumption, like jvandy50 experienced. How the Internet engineers are attributing oil consumption to the excessive vibrations of the voodoo motor is beyond me. No doubt they have a way of getting there, while ignoring the much advertised low tension piston rings that were used in the earlier motors.
2. Prior to 2019, there were internal differences between the regular GT350 and GT350R engines. The oil consumption issues appear to have been more heavily concentrated in the regular GT350s, but without any actual data it’s hard to tell.
3. Ford made rolling changes to the voodoo over the years, including different piston rings, starting sometime in the 2018 model year.
4. Starting in 2019 all voodoo motors used the Predator block, which included, among other things, internal venting in the crankcase to balance out the crankcase pressures which may have been a contributing factor to the oil consumption in earlier years.
5. Oil consumption in the 2019 and 2020 model years has not been an issue. If it was, people would be screaming about it from the metaphorical mountain tops. Seems they got that issue figured out.
6. Actual failures (i.e. rapid disassembly) in the 2019 and 2020 engines has been relatively limited, and mostly concentrated among track rats. Have the failures been above average for comparable vehicles? If only some internet engineer could tell us…

If you read this far but are dead set on hating the GT350, you still hate the GT350 because that’s your goal. If I were in jvandy50’s shoes, I would definitely be turned off by the GT350. On the flip side, my GT350R ownership experience has been great, and the car is an absolute dream to drive.

Finally, if you are considering buying at ZL1/ZLE and read the oil pump failure thread on this site, you probably think all 2018 and prior LT4s are ticking time bombs.
passwords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 03:26 PM   #13
Palutz
Banned

Drives: 22 ZLE M6
Both cars are great, but we are on a Camaro forum so the answers aren't surprising. I came from a 14 Z/28 which I never thought I'd sell, and I can say the 22 ZLE I own is miles ahead of that old platform. For what it's worth, the last 350R is a car I'd like in my stable one day .. the only other Mustang would have to be the 03 Terminator.
Palutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 02:47 PM   #14
turbo_jimbo

Drives: 2022 ZL1 1LE
I really had my heart set on a GT350. Test drove them a few times, and every time got out heartbroken. It's like driving an oversized 90's civic; they make lots of noise, but don't go anywhere fast. Better off buying a GT and swapping in the transmission from the GT350.

Test drove a LT1, and was way more impressed than I was with the Shelby. 1 week later I was making arrangements to get my ZLE.
turbo_jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote