Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 12-29-2021, 10:36 AM   #1
KingsPin

Drives: Camaro RS
Air Condition Not Working On Passenger Side

I have a 2016 Camaro and I've recently noticed that the passenger side is not heating up unless it's on "HI" if I put it just one setting under "HI" which is 89 degrees it blows ice cold air. There is also no difference in how cold it is from 89 to "LOW." The driver side works completely fine and adjusts properly. When I have it on sync and trying to heat up the car at like 85 degrees the driver side is blowing hot air but the passenger side is blowing cold air. Of course, it had to do this when my warranty ran out. Does anyone have a similar problem or know how to fix this issue?

Last edited by KingsPin; 12-31-2021 at 02:03 PM.
KingsPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 08:06 AM   #2
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Sucks to hear. Unfortunately, warranties end when they do mostly because the risk of having something go wrong goes up substantially after that point in time. Manufacturers (all products, not just cars) limit their liabilities that way.

Anyway...

If you can get hot air from the passenger side by setting it to "Hi", but anything below gives different results, then it sounds like there's a problem with the controls that position the various blend controls within the HVAC system.

Sounds like you're adjusting only the passenger side control - have you tried with it being in Sync mode and cranking the driver's side to "Hi"? What happens then?
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 11:52 AM   #3
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
This sounds like it could be a blending or diverting door problem. Before I would dig into that idea, I would want to know duct temperatures, as low A/C charge conditions can favor cooling on one side.
Get yourself a cheap probe thermometer or cheap IR device from amazon. With your A/C on high and on recirc you should be getting duct temps in the 40's. This is duct temp, not cabin air temp. Probe is probably the cheapest.
Amazon or maybe Harbor Freight. A meat thermometer might work too.
https://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Precis...s%2C87&sr=8-14
ctrlz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 12:01 PM   #4
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
This sounds like it could be a blending or diverting door problem. Before I would dig into that idea, I would want to know duct temperatures, as low A/C charge conditions can favor cooling on one side.
Get yourself a cheap probe thermometer or cheap IR device from amazon. With your A/C on high and on recirc you should be getting duct temps in the 40's. This is duct temp, not cabin air temp. Probe is probably the cheapest.
Amazon or maybe Harbor Freight. A meat thermometer might work too.
https://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Precis...s%2C87&sr=8-14
Curious if this would also occur with heat? I know the thread is titled A/C, but seems the issue is related to heat... Not sure, though.
Old 12-30-2021, 12:08 PM   #5
ctrlz

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsPin View Post
I have a 2016 Camaro and I've recently noticed that the passenger side is not heating up unless it's on "HI" if I put it just one setting under "HI" which is 89 degrees it blows ice cold air. There is also no difference in how cold it is from 89 to "LOW." ?
Ember, I had a hard time following what exactly is going on here. OP is in florida, so doubt he is worried about heat, even though that is what it sounds like.

Just going by 2016 and typical patterns, I would want to know A/C is performing adequately. Quick check is duct temps and compare left vs. right. Door actuators are probably a dealer service item for 99% who post here. A/C low charge can be fixed at many places.
Old 12-30-2021, 12:19 PM   #6
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Ember, I had a hard time following what exactly is going on here. OP is in florida, so doubt he is worried about heat, even though that is what it sounds like.

Just going by 2016 and typical patterns, I would want to know A/C is performing adequately. Quick check is duct temps and compare left vs. right. Door actuators are probably a dealer service item for 99% who post here. A/C low charge can be fixed at many places.
Yeah, similar for me. Even though in FL, I can attest that there are plenty of times during the year when having the heat on is appropriate (especially the time of year now and coming in the next handful of weeks) as I used to be a frequent traveler to the state for work. Not saying he's trying to -cook- something in the car, just that he may be looking for a little warmth to take a cold edge off and discovered that the only way the passenger side throws any heat is on 'hi.'

We'll have to get some verification from the OP to know for sure.

I agree that the actuators and such for the blending doors are out of reach for most shadetree mechanics, and there's never a downside to doing some investigation on your own to at least start a troubleshooting process!
Old 12-30-2021, 02:10 PM   #7
ctrlz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
Also, thread title is "A/C not working passenger side"
???
Old 12-30-2021, 02:28 PM   #8
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Also, thread title is "A/C not working passenger side"
???
While we generally think of "air conditioning" as cooling, I suppose that heat is technically a form of conditioning of the air.
Old 12-31-2021, 01:54 AM   #9
KingsPin

Quote:
Yeah, similar for me. Even though in FL, I can attest that there are plenty of times during the year when having the heat on is appropriate (especially the time of year now and coming in the next handful of weeks) as I used to be a frequent traveler to the state for work. Not saying he's trying to -cook- something in the car, just that he may be looking for a little warmth to take a cold edge off and discovered that the only way the passenger side throws any heat is on 'hi.'

I agree that the actuators and such for the blending doors are out of reach for most shadetree mechanics, and there's never a downside to doing some investigation on your own to at least start a troubleshooting process!
That's exactly what happened it was cold and I've noticed that the passenger is blasting cold air at like 85 degrees. I played around with it and realized that only "HI" gives off heat in the passenger side. Also, I don't feel any difference on the passenger side with how cold the air is from "LOW" all the way until the last option before "HI" and when it is on "HI" it gives the hottest temp.
Old 12-31-2021, 01:59 AM   #10
KingsPin

Quote:
Sucks to hear. Unfortunately, warranties end when they do mostly because the risk of having something go wrong goes up substantially after that point in time. Manufacturers (all products, not just cars) limit their liabilities that way.

Anyway...

If you can get hot air from the passenger side by setting it to "Hi", but anything below gives different results, then it sounds like there's a problem with the controls that position the various blend controls within the HVAC system.

Sounds like you're adjusting only the passenger side control - have you tried with it being in Sync mode and cranking the driver's side to "Hi"? What happens then?
Yes, I've tried sync. When it's on sync on like 85 degrees the driver side is blasting hot air while the passenger side is blasting cold air. I don't think anything is wrong with the controls because it shows on the head unit the exact temperature that I switch to and it matches the little number next to the knob.

Last edited by KingsPin; 12-31-2021 at 02:01 PM.
Old 12-31-2021, 02:04 AM   #11
KingsPin

Quote:

It still gets cold in Florida and you gotta use some heat lol. I mean it's not that big of a deal cause I don't use the heat too often and I still can get heat in the car but it's annoying to know something is not working properly.
Old 12-31-2021, 07:20 AM   #12
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Yes, I've tried sync. When it's on sync on like 85 degrees the driver side is blasting hot air while the passenger side is blasting cold air. I don't think anything is wrong with the controls because it shows on the head unit the exact temperature that I switch to and it matches the little number above the knob.
I think @ctrlz has a good idea with getting a thermometer to actually test the air temperature. A solid first step is to learn whether the system is blowing heated air on one side and cooled air on the other or if it's blowing heated air on one side and "unheated" air on the other. Similar, but different. And it could help to understand where the problem lies and speed up the repair (while reducing the cost by quickening up the troubleshooting).
Old 12-31-2021, 08:21 AM   #13
ctrlz

Found this one even cheaper:
https://www.amazon.com/Supco-ST02-St...%2C125&sr=8-15
Old 12-31-2021, 11:58 PM   #14
BlueinTN

Drives: gas powered
Quote:
I have a 2016 Camaro and I've recently noticed that the passenger side is not heating up unless it's on "HI" if I put it just one setting under "HI" which is 89 degrees it blows ice cold air. There is also no difference in how cold it is from 89 to "LOW." The driver side works completely fine and adjusts properly. When I have it on sync and trying to heat up the car at like 85 degrees the driver side is blowing hot air but the passenger side is blowing cold air. Of course, it had to do this when my warranty ran out. Does anyone have a similar problem or know how to fix this issue?

Mines doing it to I have been searching on here for some kinda answer.

Nobody rides with me so I just noticed it a few months ago.

Mine seems to be stuck on med heat on the passenger side no matter where the temp is set at.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!
BlueinTN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air condition, repair