Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 01-27-2023, 07:24 PM   #15
taylorforschool@gmail.com
PKG4U

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor5244 View Post
Still too high. I paid $67k for my 2021 brand new. $53-55k is a more realistic but I would still try to get a 2019 or newer. I see a lot of ZL1 popping up in my area now that inflation has taken hold. There used to be only 3-5 available in a 50 mile radius, now there are 19.
You’re in Florida, equivalent to a California market but with reasonable pricing. Curious as to what you ended up getting your BW for with your ZL1 trade-in. Especially since you did so in a terrible market.

Also when you say you bought your car brand new, that means you ordered it. And probably did a good bit of waiting. Just to turn around and get a BW?

I really feel a lot are just giving their opinion based on what THEY were able to get THEIR car for during a certain time in the past. There are options, and if you wanna play the waiting game right now or try to go back and forth with a salesman with a ZL1 of all vehicles, be my guest. I really wanted the vehicle I found and I was glad to pay the price I did for it. If you find something you want and the price is fair to you, I say go for it OP… Time is very likely running thin

Mods after Warranty “Imma keep it stock”

Last edited by taylorforschool@gmail.com; 01-27-2023 at 07:31 PM. Reason: Fix
taylorforschool@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 12:10 AM   #16
Carzzy

Drives: '24 Camaro 2SS Conv. & '21Blazer
The prices are coming down on both new and used! I just got a new 2023 ZL1 Convertible that listed for $76,655 for under invoice at $72,000 and 4.99% financing for 72 months.
That in addition to a $750 rebate. I live in the Northeast and the small Chevy dealership I purchased from wanted to move this car fast because of Winter.
60k is too much for an '18 ZL1 Coupe! You could buy a 2023 ZL1 Coupe for less than 10k more!
Old 01-28-2023, 09:37 AM   #17
Vigilante375

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorforschool@gmail.com View Post
I’ve had another user private message me about having identical trans issues more recently than me, but as you are saying I believe the trans issues are fairly uncommon, however with it being the same trans that ford has a class action on, that you can JOIN if you have a GM affected vehicle.. I’m not gonna try to tell you this thing is bulletproof, it’s not. Fantastic, yes! Stout, yes! 99% no issues?? I would find it very hard to believe the 10-speed has held up that well across the entirety of both Ford and GM lineups. I’d give it something more like a 95%. Just because people aren’t talking about it on this forum doesn’t mean it isn’t happening. Maybe you were hinting at the fact that the reason I had issues was because I bought used, and that’s a fair point. But it’s also why I have an extended until 2028 or 124k miles

Also worth adding that I used my warranty TWICE within the first 6 months. For the same issue, because when they gave it back to me the first time after 20 days, it wasn’t fixed. Always taking a gamble with modern GM folks
GM is actually going through a class action lawsuit on their A8. You can read all about it but when I had my 2019 Silverado LT Z71 with the A8, it would do this weird hesitation around 55 or 60 mph every time. Like it didn't know which gear it wanted to be in and then hang the rev's when changing the gear around that mph. When i mean hang, I mean a good 3 seconds.

This dates all the way back into 2016 that this lawsuit GM is up against.

The fixes was to basically overfill the trans and the issue went away, for some.

I know about the Ford A10 issues and their having it worse than the GM A10 for some reason. Ford and GM collaborated on the A10 but then Ford screwed it up.
Vigilante375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 10:09 PM   #18
Sincity2ss

Drives: ‘21 Chevy Camaro ss, Bmw m5 v10
Thanks again for the feedback. Where can you find these deals on zl1s. Most listings are dealers. Where’s the private party for sales. I have a different one I put a deposit on. 2019 7k miles 59800. Sunroof carbon insert. Black. Has some warranty left. I see more of the oil pump failures are the 17 and 18s in the poll on here.
Sincity2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 01:18 AM   #19
JBones81

Drives: 22 ZL1, 18 RS3, 22 M3P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sincity2ss View Post
Thanks again for the feedback. Where can you find these deals on zl1s. Most listings are dealers. Where’s the private party for sales. I have a different one I put a deposit on. 2019 7k miles 59800. Sunroof carbon insert. Black. Has some warranty left. I see more of the oil pump failures are the 17 and 18s in the poll on here.
I just went to the Chevy website, searched nationwide inventory using the parameters I wanted, and started calling all the dealerships that had models close to what I was looking for. Luckily, I live in the SF Bay Area so there are like 15 chevy dealers within 100 miles of me, so I left my contact info with several sales managers. Within a few weeks, one called me when they happened to get a manual, grey zl1 coupe in. Again, this was when the market was crazy (early 2022), and deliveries were almost on pause due to constraints, so I went right down that afternoon and negotiated the purchase.

Basically, just be prepared to travel for the right deal, and let all the dealers know that you're serious and ready to buy if they're serious about selling at or below msrp. Don't be afraid to hang up and try the next dealership.

One caveat is that if you are trying to get a really in-demand zl1 model, for example a 1le with certain options like pdr, you may not be able to get a prime deal...you have to be open to compromising a little bit on color or options. Realize that pretty much any zl1 you get is going to be amazing, and you have an entire aftermarket to customize whatever you get.
Instagram - @JBsCars
JBones81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 02:14 AM   #20
Sincity2ss

Drives: ‘21 Chevy Camaro ss, Bmw m5 v10
Yeah I did that actually. At this point I’m looking at used to save some money low mileage ones. They are identical as you know from 2019 or 2023. Where’s the used deals at
Sincity2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 02:33 AM   #21
JBones81

Drives: 22 ZL1, 18 RS3, 22 M3P
Quote:
Yeah I did that actually. At this point I’m looking at used to save some money low mileage ones. They are identical as you know from 2019 or 2023. Where’s the used deals at
join some camaro or zl1 specific facebook groups. They pop up for sale frequently in those
Instagram - @JBsCars
JBones81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 03:45 AM   #22
Vigilante375

It will be worth to note, as most probably don't know, that there was a female who had a 2017 ZL1 M6 that she bought brand new in 2017 and put over 220k miles on the car in over 5 years. Completely stock, no oil pump issue and no other issues at all. She only did the maintenance the car was recommended to have at certain mileage.

It was her daily driver and I dont think she ever took it to the track but her car shows that these cars, in stock form, are very reliable. She got rid of it a few months back and only because the maintenance costs were starting to take a toll on her and she wanted something more cost friendly. There was nothing wrong with the car when she sold it.
Vigilante375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 07:38 AM   #23
RobZL1
fo'shizZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
I was in that exact same boat in the Spring last year. I wanted an M6, but there were hardly any new ones out there. I also wanted no sunroof, certain colors, etc. I found 2 dealers who would order one and sell it for MSRP, but at that time people were waiting 3-12 months for a car. So, I searched for over 2 months daily, nationwide, to find what I wanted. I missed 4 cars beacause i was too late, and finally found one that worked out.

I feel like it's a slightly better market now, but still not great. These cars are still scarce. I set up daily searches on cargurus and cars.com with my specific criteria. That's how I found both dealer and private party cars that I would call about. Most times, they were already spoken for.

Good luck in your search! And don't listen to all of the "you should pay $50k" stuff. The only ones you'll find at that price have 50k miles.

Past Rides-
2014 ZL1 M6 Red Hot | Tons of mods
2004 CTS-V M6 Silver | Many mods
1995 Corvette M6 Torch Red | A few more mods
1992 Camaro M5 White | A few mods
RobZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 08:54 AM   #24
taylorforschool@gmail.com
PKG4U

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZL1 View Post
I was in that exact same boat in the Spring last year. I wanted an M6, but there were hardly any new ones out there. I also wanted no sunroof, certain colors, etc. I found 2 dealers who would order one and sell it for MSRP, but at that time people were waiting 3-12 months for a car. So, I searched for over 2 months daily, nationwide, to find what I wanted. I missed 4 cars beacause i was too late, and finally found one that worked out.

I feel like it's a slightly better market now, but still not great. These cars are still scarce. I set up daily searches on cargurus and cars.com with my specific criteria. That's how I found both dealer and private party cars that I would call about. Most times, they were already spoken for.

Good luck in your search! And don't listen to all of the "you should pay $50k" stuff. The only ones you'll find at that price have 50k miles.

Thank you… sounds like this owner actually had an identical thought process to me, and I also happened to be in the market at the same time. I agree with everything here from Rob

Mods after Warranty “Imma keep it stock”
taylorforschool@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 11:17 AM   #25
AZIROC

Drives: '86 IROC-Z '18 ZL1
Granted when I got my used 2018 zl1 w/3k miles, it still had a solid year of the warranty left. I'm knocking on wood the oil pump isn't an issue in this car...but I knew it could be a possibility. So I slowly put 5k aside so IF it were to go outside the warranty it was enough, or close to enough, to get it fixed and possibly do a cam.
AZIROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 08:45 PM   #26
MPowered

Drives: cam of course
$60K is too high for a used and out of warranty performance car. You have to factor in the potential cost for out of warranty repairs. I'd say $50K is a good price.
MPowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 12:47 PM   #27
TheDocKlopek

I bought my 2018 ZL1 vert 6M almost a year go at 54k but mine had 22k miles on it. Not sure if this helps you at all with deciding but I did end up getting the extended warranty which covers me until 97k miles or something like that.

This was also only an hour away from where I live and it was not easy finding a ZL1, vert, 6M which is what I was after and also not in black since my first Camaro was that color. I wanted something that popped a bit more.

Best in luck, I have 0 regrets even if I could have gotten it cheaper. I now have 38k miles on it and loving every mile. No issues at all *Knock on wood*
Old 01-30-2023, 01:41 PM   #28
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorforschool@gmail.com View Post
You’re in Florida, equivalent to a California market but with reasonable pricing. Curious as to what you ended up getting your BW for with your ZL1 trade-in. Especially since you did so in a terrible market.

Also when you say you bought your car brand new, that means you ordered it. And probably did a good bit of waiting. Just to turn around and get a BW?

I really feel a lot are just giving their opinion based on what THEY were able to get THEIR car for during a certain time in the past. There are options, and if you wanna play the waiting game right now or try to go back and forth with a salesman with a ZL1 of all vehicles, be my guest. I really wanted the vehicle I found and I was glad to pay the price I did for it. If you find something you want and the price is fair to you, I say go for it OP… Time is very likely running thin
Sure, so I bought the 2021 ZL1, A10, Black in August 2022. It was new arrival that was on the showroom floor. I had an SS 1LE on order but was taking forever for an allocation so I decided to buy a ZL1 that showed up in dealer stock. I paid MSRP less $500 GM Educator discount. This car did not have many options, just some locking lug nuts, MSRP was $67,385 at the time.

I drove the ZL1 for about year and only put 3,400 miles on it. I wanted back into a manual transmission and thought of searching for a 2SS 1LE again but the CT4-V BW grabbed my attention. I like the improved tech (mag ride 4.0, MyMode, VMode, etc), gauges, seating position, visibility, interior, etc. and while it doesn't have the V8, the LF4 twin turbo V6 is a nice match to this car. I really enjoy it as it ticks more boxes for me. More practical but still a hoot to drive with the Tremec M6. The 5BW is a big jump up on price starting north of $100k but like the ZL1 I felt it had too much power on to fully enjoy on the street.

I was able to buy the CT4V - Blackwing for MSRP ($61,295 for my specific build), they wanted $50k over , but reality started settling in as they had about 8 of then on the lot with no movement. It did come with full tint and a ceramic coating though, which was nice. These CT4V-Blackwings can get out of control price-wise if you loaded them up but I purposely picked a model with fewer options.

As for the ZL1, the market was just starting to soften for them but wound up getting $63k on trade. The dealer had my ZL1 listed for $70k but it sat for a month or so and then I saw it wholesaled to another local dealer who had it listed for $72k. I am not sure what it eventually sold for but I felt $65k was a fair price considering the low mileage, clean car and factoring in for inflation and the prices for brand new ones.

The market is still correcting but a ZL1 is considered specialty car and requires a specific type of buyer. They represent a great performance value, even for those that paid over MSRP. After driving this Blackwing though, it highlights that the Camaro is overdue for a refresh.
2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6

Last edited by raptor5244; 01-30-2023 at 02:51 PM.
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote