Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-18-2020, 11:12 PM   #1
Mechanicmike90

Drives: Chevy camaro
Exclamation Weird/rough idle

I'm new to the forums here and a new camaro owner at that. But here's my issue. I have a 2010 SS 6 speed and I'm having some odd idle issues. Only mods on the car are CAI and borla catback. I do not have any check engine lights on or pending codes when scanned with a professional snap-on or similar scan tool. While running the live data stream you can see the misfire counter go up but again no specific code for a certain cylinder. I recently replaced the spark plugs with OE ACdelco from the dealer(no change). I run 93 octane whenever I fill up. I have checked and cleaned the throttle body already. I've picked the brains of all my master technician friends some with 20+ years in the field and we cant seem to find an issue. Any ideas on where else to look or things to try would be a great help.

Mike
Mechanicmike90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 04:21 AM   #2
chaospiece

Drives: 2018 SS, 2016 GT
Mine does it alot. I fear it being bad lifters but a tech friend at Chevy looked and said it's fine and it's a characteristic of the lt1 being a big V8 and all.

I've actually never had a V8 that didn't idle funny at times but maybe gasoline isn't always 100% stable too? Idk.
chaospiece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 04:23 AM   #3
Mechanicmike90

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaospiece View Post
Mine does it alot. I fear it being bad lifters but a tech friend at Chevy looked and said it's fine and it's a characteristic of the lt1 being a big V8 and all.

I've actually never had a V8 that didn't idle funny at times but maybe gasoline isn't always 100% stable too? Idk.
I only run 93 in it and dont get gas at a racetrack or similar gas station haha. I may look into the lifters tho.
Old 03-19-2020, 04:32 AM   #4
Robby23

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
you would hear lifter tick. drive train issues can cause misfire type symptoms, pop your valve covers off and inspect what you can (springs most common). clogged injectors, plugs, plug wires, coil packs, weak fuel pump, vacuum leak, bad head gasket between cylinders can all cause misfire or misfire type symptoms. I am sure there are more things but thats just off the top of my head. you will feel the engine shake some though too. its a big v8.
2018 1SS M6 - OTR intake, HI Ram intake, Ceramic Coated TSP Headers Catless, AWE Touring Axle-Back, Flex Fuel, Pray Performace stage 3 cam, TSP ported heads, Pray Ported 95MM TB and Ported HI-RAM. SJM Line-Lock. F14 Drag Pack 17's with front skinnies. Tuned by Pray Performance.
Robby23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 09:57 AM   #5
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
Go back and check your plug connections. It sounds like a bad connection. How many miles on vehicle? the plugs are meant to last 100k....

The LT1 does not have a smooth idle btw...

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 11:25 AM   #6
easttxss

Drives: '16 2SS M6
He doesn't have an LT1, he has a 2010 Camaro.

Mike, you will get more accurate feedback in a Gen5 forum(2010-2015). This one is for the Gen6(2016-current). But what Robby said is correct. Since you replaced the plugs already, my next step would be to do a compression check to make sure that is good, then an injector balance test to rule out a clogged or partially clogged injector. From there it would be plug wires then coils.
'14 Fusion Titanium 2.0T
'83 Jeep Wagoneer
easttxss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 11:48 AM   #7
ssmofo

Drives: Chevy Camaro
1. Plugs
2. Plug wire
3 Coils
4 Injectors.

If you have high mileage, maybe an injector service would help. It is confusing when there is no CEL.

I used this guy for injector cleaning on my f-body bird.https://www.mrinjector.us/?gclid=Cjw...BoCTUQQAvD_BwE

Cleaned and flow tested with with test analysis, Ive used him twice with great results.
ssmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 09:35 PM   #8
Mechanicmike90

Quote:
Originally Posted by easttxss View Post
He doesn't have an LT1, he has a 2010 Camaro.

Mike, you will get more accurate feedback in a Gen5 forum(2010-2015). This one is for the Gen6(2016-current). But what Robby said is correct. Since you replaced the plugs already, my next step would be to do a compression check to make sure that is good, then an injector balance test to rule out a clogged or partially clogged injector. From there it would be plug wires then coils.

Yeah I realized it after I posted I was in the wrong forum. Apologies all around.
Old 03-24-2020, 11:09 PM   #9
tray_103

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1Le
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanicmike90 View Post
Yeah I realized it after I posted I was in the wrong forum. Apologies all around.

The Ls3s have a bit rougher camshaft then the autos. I used to have a 2011 and it would idle a bit rough. It’s just the nature of the beast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tray_103 is offline   Reply With Quote