#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 03-18-2020, 06:25 AM   #15
ZRacerLE

Drives: The DSSV Twins: ZR2 and ZLE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV1LE View Post
Are you running GY SCF1 3Rs? If so, 1 year age is fine as long as you have tread left and they weren't heat cycled out on track by previous owner. If 3Rs with tread, you should have significant advantage in corner exit speeds over G5 ZL1. You also need track camber settings, at least 2.8 degrees front.

The ZLE is capable of incredible corner speeds, better than a track prepped McLaren 12C on GY3R according a guy who did 1:50s at BW in his ZLE, and now tracks a 12C on 3Rs.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0P...XFb3TPAz_nf3wA
OP says he's running 1:37s, but you are saying 1:50s is fast for a ZLE. Is this the same track, but different configuration?
ZRacerLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 09:10 AM   #16
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttowl View Post
it ran 1:37's all day.

I could have gone a bit faster, but I was on 1 year old tires and had trouble with slides. the 45-55 degree temps did not do me any favors on the corners. The last lap I ran I had a big slide accellerating out of turn 9 at at over 90 mph. at that point I called it a day. Im not interested in wadding up the car; but like to drive fast.

My old ZL1 dynoed 575 rwhp and was a 6 speed also; but was also 400 lbs heavier. exit speed out of 9 was about the same as the old zl1 (between 85 / 95 m[h), but i could only hit 135 / 140 at end of the straight in the 1le. in the old zl1 I would hit 145 / 150. I have no idea what the lap times in the old zl1 were.

More power would help but if you are at a race course you'll want to mod your cooling system first. These cars heat soak so fast an upgraded heat exchanger and a reservoir can help out a ton. Keep your intake temps down and your lap times will come down as well. You can be losing 25-40rwhp quicker then you think from your intake temps pulling timing. A tune can clean this up some too.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 09:21 AM   #17
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZRacerLE View Post
OP says he's running 1:37s, but you are saying 1:50s is fast for a ZLE. Is this the same track, but different configuration?
Yes different track. He ran at Willow Springs Big Track, my 1:50 reference was Buttonwillow with the best ZLE time I know of at So Cal tracks.

Equivalent to 1:50 at Buttonwillow would be maybe a 1:28-1:29 at Big Willow. I don't have firsthand knowledge of fast ZLE laps at Big Willow, only Buttonwillow, Laguna Seca, Sonoma, and Auto Club Speedway in Fontana.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 11:28 AM   #18
arichards46

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
track tires

I track (road course) my 2018 ZL1 1LE and am looking for some experience/advice re: tire options. I'm getting about 5 track days out of the factory GY's and I love the tires but I'll go bankrupt replacing them at this rate. Has anyone tried scrubs? If so, who do you get them from and how much are you spending?

Also, if you have switched to another brand for longevity and/or price what sort of success have you had? Have you had to sacrifice handling? Any thoughts at all are welcome guys...and gals, too! :-)
arichards46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 09:31 PM   #19
nighttowl
Sarcasm loading --------

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Pro racers can get a 1:25 out of the car on this track; which I am not. I have been to big willow over 20 times in the last 20 years; although mostly on motorcycles.

the tires have 6k miles on them. I did not do the track alignment, I did not decide to go until the night before. all that was done was an oil change; which is unusual for me. I usually go all out on my track weekends. normally 2 day events, new tires, everything.
i know it will run through the corners faster, but all im saying is that down the front straight it makes alot of noise - and not alot of "go". I was actually a little dissapointed by that.

2018 MBM ZL1 1LE - Stock
2014 CRT ZL1 574 rwhp, 537 rwtq - SOLD
2010 IBM SS Camaro VVT L99 w/ TR6060 swap, 489 rwhp, 444 rwtq - SOLD
nighttowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 04:05 AM   #20
ZRacerLE

Quote:
Pro racers can get a 1:25 out of the car on this track; which I am not. I have been to big willow over 20 times in the last 20 years; although mostly on motorcycles.

the tires have 6k miles on them. I did not do the track alignment, I did not decide to go until the night before. all that was done was an oil change; which is unusual for me. I usually go all out on my track weekends. normally 2 day events, new tires, everything.
i know it will run through the corners faster, but all im saying is that down the front straight it makes alot of noise - and not alot of "go". I was actually a little dissapointed by that.
Must be the drag from the aero? Your stock ZLE has the same power as your last modded ZL1 and is a few hundred pounds lighter. Very weird.
Old 03-19-2020, 06:58 AM   #21
Markoz28

Drives: 18 ZL1 nightfall grey A10
I’ve never tracked a car before so driving so I have no real clue what I’m talking about. With that said, if I wanted more power but not more heat, I would port the stock SC, larger 103tb, low side fuel, RF CAI/or even the big gulp, headers, flex fuel, tune. Should pick up a bunch of power and be even more efficient.
Markoz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 08:15 AM   #22
juice3

Drives: 19 ZLE A10,17 SS 1LE, 16 C7R,CT5V
There is no good data on the regular SuperCars in the rain from the magazine companies, however, if you ever think your going to get stuck in the rain you cannot go wrong with the P4S.

The regular SuperCars fit in SCCA Sport 1 Class - in case anyone wants to know.
juice3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 08:27 AM   #23
That1guy_tim

Drives: Camaro 1ss
Quote:

sounds like you need more seat time instead of moooo powwwaaa
That1guy_tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 08:45 AM   #24
ZRacerLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by That1guy_tim View Post
sounds like you need more seat time instead of moooo powwwaaa
moe powa baba
Old 03-19-2020, 10:57 AM   #25
MikeEM1

Drives: Tracks: 18' ZL1 1LE
Quote:
it ran 1:37's all day.

I could have gone a bit faster, but I was on 1 year old tires and had trouble with slides. the 45-55 degree temps did not do me any favors on the corners. The last lap I ran I had a big slide accellerating out of turn 9 at at over 90 mph. at that point I called it a day. Im not interested in wadding up the car; but like to drive fast.

My old ZL1 dynoed 575 rwhp and was a 6 speed also; but was also 400 lbs heavier. exit speed out of 9 was about the same as the old zl1 (between 85 / 95 m[h), but i could only hit 135 / 140 at end of the straight in the 1le. in the old zl1 I would hit 145 / 150. I have no idea what the lap times in the old zl1 were.
You have to factor in gearing as well when it comes to mph. Driver mod is needed for faster times, not hp. I ran 1:32.2 at Big Willow my second time there and I'm not fast by any means.
AWE Track w/PLP
APR GTC300 wing / Singular Endplates
ASC Splitter / PA tunnels
MFR Engineering Custom Diffuser
Race Louvers Fender Vents
APEX SM10 & ARC8

For sale: 2018 OEM ZL1 1LE Wing

12' Nissan GT-R SOLD
MikeEM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 06:27 PM   #26
nighttowl
Sarcasm loading --------

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Must be the drag from the aero? Your stock ZLE has the same power as your last modded ZL1 and is a few hundred pounds lighter. Very weird.
This is what I am thinking.
that or I need more octane and timing was pulled?
I ran 91 in it..

Im not concerned with the lap times; every single lap involved a pass, or wait on another driver (pass only on straights).

10 mph lost down the front straight at the same track with the same driver and exit speed in a lighter car (with a slightly higher power to weight ratio) doesnt make sense to me.

im kind of thinking I should dyno it.
I would think it should be around 530 at the wheels stock?

2018 MBM ZL1 1LE - Stock
2014 CRT ZL1 574 rwhp, 537 rwtq - SOLD
2010 IBM SS Camaro VVT L99 w/ TR6060 swap, 489 rwhp, 444 rwtq - SOLD
nighttowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 07:31 PM   #27
ZRacerLE

Quote:
This is what I am thinking.
that or I need more octane and timing was pulled?
I ran 91 in it..

Im not concerned with the lap times; every single lap involved a pass, or wait on another driver (pass only on straights).

10 mph lost down the front straight at the same track with the same driver and exit speed in a lighter car (with a slightly higher power to weight ratio) doesnt make sense to me.

im kind of thinking I should dyno it.
I would think it should be around 530 at the wheels stock?
No, I believe dyno stock should be 560 to 570. I wonder if it's the 91 octane and timing pulled at high temps. Maybe someone who knows better will chime in about that...
Old 03-20-2020, 03:25 PM   #28
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
Quote:
No, I believe dyno stock should be 560 to 570. I wonder if it's the 91 octane and timing pulled at high temps. Maybe someone who knows better will chime in about that...
I mentioned this in an earlier post... the car IS tuned for 93 and Ted Jannetty tested the difference and I think he found a 25+ WHP difference. I add about 4 gallons of 100 at the track to avoid knock (especially on hot days), and get maximum power
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote