Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 03-06-2020, 10:32 AM   #1
oldsteel68

Drives: 68 Camaro SS
ZL1 vs ZL1 1LE Drag Racing

I'm in the market for a new ZL1 to keep my 68 company in the garage... I can't decide if I should get the 1LE package or not. I am aware it is more of a road racing suspension over the non-1LE version, but am curious if anyone can speak to its performance out of the hole.

I will not be buying the car to drag race at the track much as most near me have closed down. Its going to be a street car. But I dont want it if its a dog out of the hole as compared to the non-1LE. If they are the similar, I will go for the 1LE.

Also, will be getting the a10 trans.

Thanks
oldsteel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 11:00 AM   #2
PROMETHEUS

Drives: 2019 ZL-1, Shadow Gray, Sold
IMHO - If you have no intention of using it on the track or drag strip. ZL1 is the best alternative. It rides much better! I own the ZL1, but took the ZLE out on a test drive. I thought I was driving my 2nd gen camaro again! These 63 year old bones, couldn't take the jarring!
If you go with the ZLE you will have to change the tires to something other than 3Rs. I am sure others will chime in with difference of opinions.
My best advise is test drive them both and see which one suits your needs! The A10 is available in both models.
PROMETHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 11:33 AM   #3
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Except for gear ratios on the M6, they have the exact same drivetrain. Not sure about ratios on the A10 though.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 11:41 AM   #4
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
I agree with Prometheus. Take them both for a good test drive. I own a ZLE and absolutely love the ride. Lots of others feel the same and also lots of others say it’s way too rough.
Prometheus also makes a good point of swapping out the tires on the ZLE. The factory 3Rs are terrible on wet pavement and obviously there is always a chance of getting caught in the rain.
He makes the point of the second Gen Camaro. I’ve owned 3 1980 Z28s. I thought they rode pretty good for the age of the suspension design. I could do without the rattles though. The 1980 I still have has a QA1 suspension. It rides good and I took some extra measures to battle rattles. I would venture to say it’s a bit smoother than the ZLE. But, different tires, rims, suspensions. The ZLE doesn’t have any sort of squeak or rattle. And it’s been down some rough rides and also been airborne probably more than a few times.
Says a lot about the 6th Gen chassis and how rigid it is.
Also consider, if you like the wing on the ZLE but the ride doesn’t appeal to you, you can get the wing on the regular ZL1 for 2020 model year.
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 11:53 AM   #5
closs2sx

Drives: 1970 chevelle
i own a zl1 1le and love it and even my wife is not bothered by the ride at all and we live in NH. It won't transfer weight as good out of the hole and the spoiler will create more drag on the big end but the time slip won't vary more than a couple tenths. My dad is going to be 73 in November and while he wouldn't want to take a cross country trip in my car he has had no issues with a 3-4 hour drive. If you are going to do spirited driving on back roads or go to the track (road course) i would go zl1 1le if not zl1. I put Michelins 4s's on mine just to save the 3rs for the track.I don't drive my car in the rain at all or in extreme cold.
Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic
Dads Car
2013 ZL1 vin 963
Crystal Red Tint Coat/Black Wheels
Exposed Carbon Fiber Insert
6 Spd Manual
closs2sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 11:53 AM   #6
ZRacerLE

Drives: The DSSV Twins: ZR2 and ZLE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyz View Post
I agree with Prometheus. Take them both for a good test drive. I own a ZLE and absolutely love the ride. Lots of others feel the same and also lots of others say it’s way too rough.
Prometheus also makes a good point of swapping out the tires on the ZLE. The factory 3Rs are terrible on wet pavement and obviously there is always a chance of getting caught in the rain.
He makes the point of the second Gen Camaro. I’ve owned 3 1980 Z28s. I thought they rode pretty good for the age of the suspension design. I could do without the rattles though. The 1980 I still have has a QA1 suspension. It rides good and I took some extra measures to battle rattles. I would venture to say it’s a bit smoother than the ZLE. But, different tires, rims, suspensions. The ZLE doesn’t have any sort of squeak or rattle. And it’s been down some rough rides and also been airborne probably more than a few times.
Says a lot about the 6th Gen chassis and how rigid it is.
Also consider, if you like the wing on the ZLE but the ride doesn’t appeal to you, you can get the wing on the regular ZL1 for 2020 model year.
I love the ZLE ride as well... and been airborne, haha!
ZRacerLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 01:36 PM   #7
oldsteel68

Test driving would be the best option but no local dealers on Long Island have any.

I don't think the ride would bother me. My 68 has Hotchkis suspension which is pretty stiff.

The car would never be in wet weather so tires are not an issue.

I personally hate the spoiler and will likely remove it for a stock ZL1 spoiler.

I guess ill go for the 1LE
Old 03-06-2020, 02:16 PM   #8
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsteel68 View Post
Test driving would be the best option but no local dealers on Long Island have any.

I don't think the ride would bother me. My 68 has Hotchkis suspension which is pretty stiff.

The car would never be in wet weather so tires are not an issue.

I personally hate the spoiler and will likely remove it for a stock ZL1 spoiler.

I guess ill go for the 1LE
I was going to troll earlier and say, if you buy a ZLE and don't track it you're a ricer. But now you go and post this and you literally have no reason to go with the ZLE so i'm very confused with this entire thread
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 02:39 PM   #9
oldsteel68

Ricer? lol. Wrong guy. Had many runs down the 1/4 with all 3 of my 1st Gens. As i said, no more local tracks around by me. Im not a road racer guy. Im an old school street racer and want to add a new 6th Gen to my stable before they screw them all up with electric motors.

I don't know a whole lot about the 6th Gens. So I figured I join and ask you guys if there's much difference from a dig between the two. If not, ill get the 1LE. If the road racing suspension lends a large handicap to the 1LE then ill go for ZL1. Simple. But go ahead and troll if it makes ya feel like a big man.

Thanks for the thoughts guys.
Old 03-06-2020, 04:33 PM   #10
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
Hopefully the guys who have owned both can comment on this. But I don’t think a lot of people have owned both. Maybe for reference go to the fast list and look at the times for stock vehicles. Maybe there are 60 foots that can be compared between the 2 versions. I would think the ZL1 should launch better???
But, the ZLE has a wider rear tire and also stickier when warmed up. So.....depending on the driver, to me it could go either way.
And, obviously I’m comparing both cars with the rubber that comes on them new.
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 06:09 PM   #11
Revalot

Drives: ZL1/1LE parts added
Location: Somewhere around Texas pines tress and smooth asphalt
Oldsteel 68, I am 49, and Have a 72 chevelle LS powertrain, new moog bushings threw out the car. I wanted a ZL1/1LE bad, real bad, drove a regular used ZL1 it was great, then drove a ZL1/1LE, in Dallas for like 10 minutes on great streets, freeway etc. No bad I thought. Then one day I went to look at a Hyper blue 2018 ZL1/1LE I knew this was it, I then asked the salesman to let me take it down some bumpy roads, To be fair I had a headache that day, but the car was so rough I changed my mind. I found a ZL1 with all the OEM 1LE stuff on it.
I'm grateful !

Last edited by Revalot; 03-06-2020 at 10:06 PM.
Revalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 08:01 PM   #12
Bumblebeest

Drives: 2018 Chevy Camaro zl1 1le
I have a 1LE and think the "harsh ride" is a bit overplayed depending on your tolerance level. I used to ride sports bikes and do 4000 mile trips in 6 days. Just like the 1LE....on decent pavement it was fine but on ripped up roads you had to make sure to pick your line. With that said the 1LE is still far more comfortable than any sports bike, even on bad roads. So if you have had experience with stiff suspensions in the past and a built up a bit of tolerance you may not even notice at this point.
Bumblebeest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 08:15 PM   #13
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2004 Cobra
If you don't plan on going to the road course, then the 1LE package is just for looks. It will actually slow the car down in the straight line. The non-1LE Mag ride in Touring Mode can make the car ride like a Cadillac and is still extremely capable in Track mode on a road course or twisty mountain road. The 3R tires on the 1LE package are not meant to be daily driver tires.

All that being said, I bought the normal ZL1 with A10 to drag race. I got hooked on track days and time trials. I've modified my ZL1, but it would have been cheaper to go 1LE.
Old 03-06-2020, 09:09 PM   #14
IntimidatorZ

Drives: 14 Silvy 1500 Z71; 20 Camaro ZLE M6
OP- As others have said, you might have a better launch with the standard ZL1 vs the ZLE. I have read guys on here with standard ZL1s put it in tour mode to soften the mag ride to get better weight transfer on launch. With the ZLE, we do not have mag ride, we have the Multimatic DSSV suspension which isn't adjustable for soft/stiffness. Our tour, sport, track modes only adjust things like the NPP exhaust, steering feel, and with the A10 guys, transmission behavior (holding gears longer in sport or track mode for more performance minded driving). I'm not sure how big a difference between the ZL1 and ZLE for getting out of the hole. I would think either one would be more than respectable in drag, and if you happened to get the itch for road course, road course racing as well. Good luck on your decision! Post pics when you do pull the trigger!
IntimidatorZ is offline   Reply With Quote