Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 03-27-2020, 08:46 AM   #29
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
I've seen dealers charger a lot more then $50 for that belt change.

We find that certain belts are easier to install then others. Do not buy a Gates belt or any other aftermarket belt. They are way to difficult to get on. Reuse the old one as long as you can and if you need to replace it get the Delco or GM part only.

We use a generic belt stretch tool over the ac pulley. It doesn't fit right but with two people you can make it work pretty quick. One holds it on and one spins the crank. For a good laugh jump on ebay and look up belt stretcher. Did that by mistake the first time lol.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 08:37 AM   #30
Choda

Drives: Turbo 6.2
Factory crank pulley does have openings to use zip ties. It works. Took more time getting the zip ties in there than actually walking the belt on. Did it myself w a brand new Ac delco belt.

I zip tied the belt about 5 o clock on the back side of the crank pulley. Left the top of the belt off the crank. Put the belt on the top of the Ac pulley. Pushed hard w my thumb to keep the belt on the Ac pulley and turned the crank clock wise. You can see the belt was pulled from the back side to the front but once I cut the zip ties and turned it over another 1/4 it aligned nicely.
Attached Images

Old 03-30-2020, 10:08 AM   #31
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
Good job, Choda. Looks like the way to go for the guys with the factory LT1 pulley. I don't think this will work for the LT4 though.
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 06:54 PM   #32
cmitchell17

Drives: 17 2SS, 8L90, Cam, Heads, E85
Anyone ever figure out a tool that will work with what we have? I spent about 2 hours or so and a lot of wasted energy and hand damage, but I eventually got my original belt back on that's actually already been split half way down it from trying to walk it on the compressor pulley side.

I got mine by putting the belt square on the AC pulley first then putting the other end between the damper and engine and turned the crank (which isn't easy unless you have the fuel pump disconnected). The belt will definitely try to slip off the side of the damper as you are turning it trying to walk it on but I just held it with a screwdriver and kept pushing on it to where I turned the engine enough to where it stretched the belt enough to have enough friction so it wouldn't slip off. Then just kept turning and it walked on, but then it looks like the part of the belt that was split was twisted so hopefully that works its way back to normal or hopefully it doesn't break somewhere and I'm without AC but I've got bigger problems that that right now.
cmitchell17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 07:10 PM   #33
SSUNDVL

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
I rent the red stretch belt remover/installer tool at oriellys and usually have to use a pry bar too, never a fun process and last time I did not cut the belt and just reused it.
SSUNDVL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 10:15 PM   #34
Evansa22

Drives: HBM ZLE
Just Ran into this same problem, oreillys tool worked great getting the belt off. However the installer was a conplete no go. Kept messing with it for a while then finally tried this and it worked pretty much no problem. Got the belt on the balancer groove first with it hanging off the side of the ac compressor, put the belt fully in the groove of the ac pulley where it first touches the pulley (about 11 o'clock position) . The rest of the belt kinda hangs off the side. Put all my pressure on the spot where the belt was in the groove and started turning over the engine really slow. If you can keep enough pressure on the belt where its in the groove, it will pinch itself in place and keep it from sliding as it walks itself on. The belt on the balancer may walk over a little but I just slowly worked it back the other direction so they were both fully seated.

Turns out there's no tool necessary if you figure out the trick. Both the lisle and oreilly tools didn't work for install.
Evansa22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 04:44 PM   #35
cmitchell17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evansa22 View Post
Just Ran into this same problem, oreillys tool worked great getting the belt off. However the installer was a conplete no go. Kept messing with it for a while then finally tried this and it worked pretty much no problem. Got the belt on the balancer groove first with it hanging off the side of the ac compressor, put the belt fully in the groove of the ac pulley where it first touches the pulley (about 11 o'clock position) . The rest of the belt kinda hangs off the side. Put all my pressure on the spot where the belt was in the groove and started turning over the engine really slow. If you can keep enough pressure on the belt where its in the groove, it will pinch itself in place and keep it from sliding as it walks itself on. The belt on the balancer may walk over a little but I just slowly worked it back the other direction so they were both fully seated.

Turns out there's no tool necessary if you figure out the trick. Both the lisle and oreilly tools didn't work for install.
Which way are you turning the crankshaft when you do this? Are you saying the belt is fully on the groves of the groves closest to the engine on the crankshaft pulley when you start?
Old 08-09-2021, 04:51 PM   #36
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i had my dealer replace my serpentine belt/idler a year or so ago under warranty and i bought a new ac to replace at same time lol charged me about $75 or so i just paid it
Old 08-09-2021, 07:53 PM   #37
Evansa22

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitchell17 View Post
Which way are you turning the crankshaft when you do this? Are you saying the belt is fully on the groves of the groves closest to the engine on the crankshaft pulley when you start?
Manual said clockwise. The belt was all the way around the pulley on the crank in the grooves. Then I put the belt all the way in the grooves in one spot on the ac pulley. Tried to get a clear picture but didn't get pictures before I put it all back together.

Sorry I can't figure out rotating the pic but if you turn it 90* counterclockwise, that's looking straight at the belt. Second picture hopefully clarifies it.
Attached Images

Last edited by Evansa22; 08-09-2021 at 08:04 PM.
Old 08-09-2021, 09:15 PM   #38
Choda

Drives: Turbo 6.2
Quote:
Manual said clockwise.
have you tried my way?
Old 08-09-2021, 10:31 PM   #39
cmitchell17

Quote:
Manual said clockwise. The belt was all the way around the pulley on the crank in the grooves. Then I put the belt all the way in the grooves in one spot on the ac pulley. Tried to get a clear picture but didn't get pictures before I put it all back together.

Sorry I can't figure out rotating the pic but if you turn it 90* counterclockwise, that's looking straight at the belt. Second picture hopefully clarifies it.
Thanks, I am still a little confused since if you turn it clockwise and you only have the 12 o-clock top part of the belt fully on the grooves of the AC pulley it would just compress the belt and not do anything. If you did the same thing but with the 6 o'clock part of the belt on the bottom of the AC pulley it wouldn't do anything either because that part of the belt would be leaving the AC pulley if you are turning everything clockwise?
Old 08-10-2021, 09:09 AM   #40
Evansa22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choda View Post
have you tried my way?
No I didn't try your way but looks like it works well

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitchell17 View Post
Thanks, I am still a little confused since if you turn it clockwise and you only have the 12 o-clock top part of the belt fully on the grooves of the AC pulley it would just compress the belt and not do anything. If you did the same thing but with the 6 o'clock part of the belt on the bottom of the AC pulley it wouldn't do anything either because that part of the belt would be leaving the AC pulley if you are turning everything clockwise?
Belt goes on at about 11 o clock position on the ac pulley. As I rotated the crank, the lip on the front of the ac pulley wedged the belt on and locked it in place. The belt just continued the lock itself on and went on. Sorry if I'm not clearly explaining it but I'm open to help with anymore info I have
Old 08-10-2021, 09:25 AM   #41
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
I watched Boggi with All Girls Garage do it in person as they worked on the wifes SC install. I also included the video the producer sent me but sometimes Discovery channel blocks it so I took screen shots for ya...

no tool needed thin metal is all!

1. find a piece of thin metal that pliable ( i used a band clamp) Pictured
2. Place it between Harmonic balance and AC pulley (pictured)
3. Draw it around the ac pulley by turning the crank bolt (pictured)
4. Use cheat bar if need be (pictured)
5. Once its around all the way use a pry bar (pictured)

6. Reinstall by placing the belt on the crank pulley 1st then turning engine over by hand as you guide it around the AC pulley by your fingers (may take 2 people) 1 to turn crank the other to put pressure on belt so it can be started.. Can also start the belt and the metal tool at same time to make it less harsh on the belt jumping the lip of the AC pulley.
Attached Images

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 09:42 AM   #42
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES

I trimmed it down for yall!!

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote