Homepage Garage Wiki Register Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions


Bigwormgraphix


Post Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2017, 12:41 PM   #29
keon718nyc

 
Drives: Challenger SP Shaker/Arcadia Denali
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyNo View Post
Damn. I need to check-in more. Stupid Dropbox, too. :(

2.2K, 1/4W is what I used.

No, it does not even get warm. Very low current.
Man, thank you for posting all that. Pretty penny saver for sure! Going to install a set soon. If i get to it before another member ill post some pics as well and let you all know how that goes. Phastek has a great kit too but if i can get away with it this cheap ill try it out. If doesn't work out i'll order the Phastek's and call it a day.
keon718nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 12:52 PM   #30
Nookz
 
Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Dubai
Posts: 59
Thanks, Tony.
Yup, and apart from the price difference it's extremely low current, so nothing gets hot. Very much unlike the resistors Phastek are using. Nothing against them, but Tony's solution is a hundred times more convenient in any aspect.
Nookz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 01:05 PM   #31
keon718nyc

 
Drives: Challenger SP Shaker/Arcadia Denali
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nookz View Post
Thanks, Tony.
Yup, and apart from the price difference it's extremely low current, so nothing gets hot. Very much unlike the resistors Phastek are using. Nothing against them, but Tony's solution is a hundred times more convenient in any aspect.
Which bulbs are you using and do you happen to have any pics of them lit up on your car? Thanks again for the info!
keon718nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 01:47 PM   #32
Nookz
 
Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Dubai
Posts: 59
Brand was JDM ASTAR. Don't have any pictures at the moment, but they are bright as f***...
Nookz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 02:57 PM   #33
Camaro_49
 
Drives: Camaro
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 51
Does anyone know how long of a bulb can fit into the housing? These 7443 led bulbs I'm looking at pretty long compared to the old bulbs...
Camaro_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 03:22 PM   #34
keon718nyc

 
Drives: Challenger SP Shaker/Arcadia Denali
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_49 View Post
Does anyone know how long of a bulb can fit into the housing? These 7443 led bulbs I'm looking at pretty long compared to the old bulbs...
Here is one that a member on the forums used and worked out fine - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A1B2SF9J2WBIQS
keon718nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 03:56 PM   #35
Nookz
 
Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Dubai
Posts: 59
https://www.amazon.com/JDM-ASTAR-Ext...jdm+astar+7440
These are the ones I used. No issues regarding the length.
Nookz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 05:13 PM   #36
QulkDeAtH
 
Drives: 2016 SS Nightfall Grey
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Lake County, IL
Posts: 6
Has anyone else noticed the resistor smoking in the heat wrap? I installed it yesterday and noticed smoking when I backed into the garage. Pulled the cover off and just saw smoke from the resistor/heat wrap with no odor. Thinking maybe it will it go away after a few heat cycles?
QulkDeAtH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 07:39 PM   #37
Camaro_49
 
Drives: Camaro
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 51
Thanks Keon and nookz
Camaro_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:47 AM   #38
V8Addict
 
V8Addict's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 2SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: So Calif
Posts: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by QulkDeAtH View Post
Has anyone else noticed the resistor smoking in the heat wrap? I installed it yesterday and noticed smoking when I backed into the garage. Pulled the cover off and just saw smoke from the resistor/heat wrap with no odor. Thinking maybe it will it go away after a few heat cycles?
Is this smoking happening to everyone that's installed this kit? I haven't ordered mine since its backordered but not sure if I want to install it if it gets so hot that it starts smoking the heat wrap....big difference between alittle heat and hot enough to start a fire.
__________________
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS, A8, NPP, MRC
V8Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 10:12 AM   #39
keon718nyc

 
Drives: Challenger SP Shaker/Arcadia Denali
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,928
I got my resistors and LED bulbs ordered should be here tomorrow, i will go the Tony/Nooks route and update with pics when i am done. Seems this is the easiest and cheapest way to go but i will have to see for myself LOL
keon718nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 01:25 PM   #40
QulkDeAtH
 
Drives: 2016 SS Nightfall Grey
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Lake County, IL
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Addict View Post
Is this smoking happening to everyone that's installed this kit? I haven't ordered mine since its backordered but not sure if I want to install it if it gets so hot that it starts smoking the heat wrap....big difference between alittle heat and hot enough to start a fire.

Hasn't happened since that initial time it smoked and everything's been working as it should. Maybe some moisture in the wrap steaming off since it sat in my garage for a week before I installed? Either way been working with no more smoking for a few days now.
QulkDeAtH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 04:30 PM   #41
V8Addict
 
V8Addict's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 2SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: So Calif
Posts: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by QulkDeAtH View Post
Hasn't happened since that initial time it smoked and everything's been working as it should. Maybe some moisture in the wrap steaming off since it sat in my garage for a week before I installed? Either way been working with no more smoking for a few days now.
Good to know, Thanks!
__________________
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS, A8, NPP, MRC
V8Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 04:35 PM   #42
keon718nyc

 
Drives: Challenger SP Shaker/Arcadia Denali
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by keon718nyc View Post
I got my resistors and LED bulbs ordered should be here tomorrow, i will go the Tony/Nooks route and update with pics when i am done. Seems this is the easiest and cheapest way to go but i will have to see for myself LOL
Going to make a new thread for this as its not the Phastek's product and maybe thrown this thread off a bit (Sorry Matt). I received and installed the resistor on the LED's and working flawless no heat whatsoever, no auto day glow either . Link with pics incoming. All credits goes to Nookz & TonyNo as they were the first to bring this mod to our attention (at least to me) and i thank you guys for that! -
Attached Images
 
keon718nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Post Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.