Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-17-2016, 12:26 PM   #1
derek1387

Drives: 2015 1LS Red V6
Overkill Motorsports E85 Install

Just finished up with the Overkill Motorsports E85 Flex Fuel Retrofit Kit install. Wanted to share my experience and how-to on the install.

First off-the kit comes packaged in a bag, with two fuel lines, the flex fuel sensor, and the wiring harness and a set of instructions

Install is pretty straight forward until you get to the wiring part, which I will go over to make it easier for the next person.

So, first off, wait until your car has not been started or running for an hour or two, to relieve pressure in the fuel lines.
Start by moving anything out of the way (IE...Catch can) as you will be doing your work right there by the ECM. I didnt remove it until after i was almost done, and it would have made things sooo much easier.

You are going to be working with the BLUE wrapped harness. Pull the red lock down, then you can swing the harness lock connector down and the blue harness will come off. This is the only harness you will be working with. Remove the black plastic cover (squeeze and pull) and you will see the following:

What you will need to do from here is locate pin number 38. It will be next to a beige wire, on the third row up from the #1 wire, and 6 spots down. The first two rows are 16 pins, so 1-16, 17-32, then 33 and so on and so forth.

That shows exactly which pin/location you will be installing the pin from the Overkill harness into.

From here, you can do what I did the first time, and flip the car's harness around, and wrestle with the wires to get them out of the way (Gently!) Find the pin location (again, next to the two beige wires, and 3 open spots to the left of them, and use a drill bit or pick and pop through the plastic enclosure. Then, pop the blue harness cover off

Remove the excess plastic that comes through the hole that you punched out (Again, gently) through the bottom of the wiring harness where the blue cover was. Push the wire connector through the harness, until it bottoms out. It should now be held in place. Snap the blue harness cover back in place, and put the black plastic cover that you removed earlier, back in place.

Zip tie around the base of the wires, where you would have cut off the original tie to pop the cover off.

Connect the harness back to the ECM, and lock it in place. You are done with the "hard part"!

Now, unhook the connector to the coil that you can access easily here.

Connect the remainder of the Overkill harness up, and hook up the sensor.

Now, to the fuel lines!
The lines we will be connecting to are on the backside of the engine, and along the fender (Passenger side)

Use your trusty 5/16 Fuel Line disconnect (available at any auto parts store for $3.99 or so, or the full set from Amazon for $12) and remove both fuel line connections.

Next, connect the straight fitting of one of the Overkill fuel lines to the fender fuel line connection, and the 90 degree fitting of the second line to the rear fuel line, and hook them up to the Sensor. Orientation does NOT matter on the sensor.

Next, double check all connections at fuel lines, and wiring. Push the fuel lines on again and then pull on them to make sure they are not loose. Go cycle the key on and off a few times, then check for leaks. If no leaks, you are good to go!

Tidy up the wiring (there is a lot!) with zip ties, tuck the sensor up wherever you find most convenient, then you are golden!

Now-you cant just go get E85 and be ready to go. You need to have the sensor activated, and a tune for E85, before anything will register. So until you have that, continue to drive with normal gasoline-it will not hurt anything. Overkill Motorsports offers tuning service that can help you out here, and, updates tunes for free with any changes!

If you have any questions, dont hesitate to ask or post.

The hope with running E85 and the proper tune is to gain maximum performance. You will see increased benefits on E85 especially with Forced Induction, but will see performance gains with the proper tune, on a naturally aspirated engine. You will see lower fuel mileage however. But....I dont think we got our cars for fuel mileage :-)

Thanks all-any questions, post em up here!
JacFab Machining
APDEG
Dream Gear Mobile Audio

Thanks to Will @ Overkill Motorsports, Jason @ JacFab, Jim @ Ohio Speed, Brandon at Dream Gear, and the boys at Randy Curnow Chevrolet

5th Gen V6 Performance Facebook Group

Last edited by derek1387; 03-17-2016 at 01:36 PM.
derek1387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 12:29 PM   #2
derek1387

First thing I have noticed so far, with only about 40% Alcohol level in the fuel, is that it runs very very smooth. I have not pushed the car yet as i need to get to about 60-80% level before we tune it for full gains.
JacFab Machining
APDEG
Dream Gear Mobile Audio

Thanks to Will @ Overkill Motorsports, Jason @ JacFab, Jim @ Ohio Speed, Brandon at Dream Gear, and the boys at Randy Curnow Chevrolet

Old 03-17-2016, 12:32 PM   #3
derek1387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjay Collins View Post
Good write-up! It's a little more in depth than I thought it would be. Put some E85 in that thing and see if you feel any difference!

Its not too bad actually. Took about an hour, and that was with me worrying about "Oh em gee...am i going to fubar the harness"

But, everything is working great. No CEL's, no Reduced Power Mode. Its registering on my handheld and is adjusting to the alcohol level.

Need to get the tank empty this weekend so I can actually fill her full of E85. And...anxious to get the 80mm kit installed...get her some more air!
JacFab Machining
APDEG
Dream Gear Mobile Audio

Old 03-17-2016, 12:36 PM   #4
derek1387

Quote:
You still don't have that damned TB installed?!
Still waiting on the elbow from Aero :-(
JacFab Machining
APDEG
Dream Gear Mobile Audio

Old 03-17-2016, 12:38 PM   #5
derek1387

Quote:
Oh, gotcha. Doesn't Shawno or ghosted have theirs on? What'd they use?
Nobody with the CAI intake has it installed yet that I am aware of.
JacFab Machining
APDEG
Dream Gear Mobile Audio

Old 03-17-2016, 12:43 PM   #6
derek1387

Oh yeah. They have been installed. But nobody is "running" yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JacFab Machining
APDEG
Dream Gear Mobile Audio

Old 03-17-2016, 01:21 PM   #7
Shawno72

Drives: 2015 Black 2LT RS M6
Great write up Derek. Thank you
Overkill tune/E85/80mm•CAI cold air intake w/my custom maf tube•Apex air scoop•JacFab ported intake/Extendolater•Vitesse•EE EX2 catch can•Innovate wideband•ARH HFC's•NPP exhaust•11386 xpipe•Brembos/cross drilled/slotted rotors•SS M/C•Pfadt 1.25 springs•1LE struts/sways/strut tower brace•BMR diff bush, trail arms/bush, adj toe links•My custom Tunnel brace•Hurst short throw shifter•JDP stage 1 clutch res•1LE steering wheel, shift boot•ZL1 rear diffuser/splash guards•GM splitter•Z/28 grille/flowtie/spoiler/wheels•GM performance pedals•"Chevrolet" door sills•10" Kicker sub•BigWorm overlays
Shawno72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 01:35 PM   #8
derek1387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@JacFab View Post

That looks like a coil to me that you're unplugging?

Derp

Yes. That thing :-)

JacFab Machining
APDEG
Dream Gear Mobile Audio

Old 03-17-2016, 01:54 PM   #9
djcolopi

Drives: @orange_maro
Quote:
I don't know what intakes they have, but I swear someone had it. I remember seeing pictures of it turned slightly.
I have it installed and you might have seen the pictures i posted up yesterday.
Old 03-17-2016, 02:08 PM   #10
Shawno72

Hey Derek what kind of gains are you hoping for? Anyone throw out an estimated number?
Overkill tune/E85/80mm•CAI cold air intake w/my custom maf tube•Apex air scoop•JacFab ported intake/Extendolater•Vitesse•EE EX2 catch can•Innovate wideband•ARH HFC's•NPP exhaust•11386 xpipe•Brembos/cross drilled/slotted rotors•SS M/C•Pfadt 1.25 springs•1LE struts/sways/strut tower brace•BMR diff bush, trail arms/bush, adj toe links•My custom Tunnel brace•Hurst short throw shifter•JDP stage 1 clutch res•1LE steering wheel, shift boot•ZL1 rear diffuser/splash guards•GM splitter•Z/28 grille/flowtie/spoiler/wheels•GM performance pedals•"Chevrolet" door sills•10" Kicker sub•BigWorm overlays
Old 03-17-2016, 02:28 PM   #11
derek1387

Agreed. I'm just hoping to hit 300 after everything.
I will say it's definitely smoother. I'm only at 30% e85 content right now. It'll be this weekend before I'm full

JacFab Machining
APDEG
Dream Gear Mobile Audio

Old 03-17-2016, 02:34 PM   #12
Shawno72

Can't wait for the dyno results
Old 03-17-2016, 03:03 PM   #13
dmginc

Drives: In Circles

CAI Cold Air Intake, BMR Strut Tower Brace, BMR 1.2" Lowering Springs
Gen5DIY Fog Lights, Big Worm Third Brake Light/Side Marker Tint (Charcoal)
GTS Tail Light Covers, Purple Under Hood Lighting
Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe w/ Muffler Delete
Black Plasti Dipped Wheels, Z/28 Spoiler
dmginc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 05:46 PM   #14
etmx183

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT RS
GREAT write-up!!! Next we will do a Coil Vs Injector lesson. LOL Very good photos and details. Now to figure what jets I need for E85 with my nitrous. <---- OOOoo no did I say that out loud.
etmx183 is offline   Reply With Quote