Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-07-2016, 02:09 AM   #1
willoverkill

Drives: Fast
80mm Throttle Body for the LFX

Very pleased to post information on a project I've been working on for the LFX platform!

This is a brand new 80mm throttle body unit (79.5mm to be exact) that is adapted to the LFX manifold using an aluminum adapter plate. It's plug and play with no tuning required, though tuning will obviously help. This compares to the only other offering on the market which ports the factory 72mm throttle body, with no physical size increase.

The main reason that I've developed this kit is the LFX intake manifold can be ported to match, infact one of the factory LFX intake manifolds (there are 3 versions) is 79.5mm. From factory, the Camaro LFX manifold has a 76mm inlet, still notably bigger than the 72mm throttle body, but porting work (like the JacFab manifold) can increase the inlet to match this throttle body. This means that the new throttle body will be sized to take full advantage of the flow capabilities of the LFX intake manifold.

I don't have any official power numbers to provide, my own development testing showed around a 10 lbs-ft torque gain referencing the onboard torque calculations from the ECM during acceleration. I've been selling this unit on the front wheel drive LFX platforms where I came from, on the Impalas and Acadia/Enclaves, and the feedback has been very positive.

More notes and observations:
-The engine growl under heavy throttle becomes noticably deeper and louder with this 80mm unit versus stock
-The whistle you hear from the stock throttle body at part throttle if you have an aftermarket intake is gone with this larger unit
-The clamping area is 3.5" versus the 3" area of the stock throttle body, so you may need a new coupling for your intake, or some massaging required.
-While the factory Oring seals the plate to manifold, silicone is required to seal the throttle body to plate. I provide a small tube, along with an alcohol prep wipe and a latex glove to spread.
-For the Camaro kits, I've modified the adapter plate to rotate the throttle body to provide maximum hood clearance. I've yet to test fit this with a JacFab spacer but I don't have any big concerns of clearance, and would love for someone to install and verify its fitment with Jason's spacer!

Onto some pictures.........

Here's the stock LFX throttle body and the new 80mm unit side by side...

Here's the 80mm unit installed on the Camaro manifold...

Another picture showing how I've massaged the Camaro adapter to maximize the hood clearance, if you look at the top points on the throttle body...

Here's the adapter plate only installed, before the throttle body goes on

Here's a closeup of the plate to manifold inlet. You can see where porting work would be ideal and you can also see (or not see it rather) how the factory throttle body seal is still hidden and perfectly seals the plate to manifold.

And finally, here's a picture of the factory LFX manifold I eluded to that already has a 79.5mm inlet, and that the Camaro manifold can be ported to match.
willoverkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 04:19 AM   #2
derek1387

Drives: 2015 1LS Red V6
Have you tested against the VMAX PTB? Any gains?

Interested in your E85 conversion kit as well....wonder what that would do for overall power....
JacFab Machining
APDEG
Dream Gear Mobile Audio

Thanks to Will @ Overkill Motorsports, Jason @ JacFab, Jim @ Ohio Speed, Brandon at Dream Gear, and the boys at Randy Curnow Chevrolet

5th Gen V6 Performance Facebook Group
derek1387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 04:25 AM   #3
ghosted
BCS Auto

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1LS
Damnit man, I've had my VMAX for 2 weeks! What are you trying to do to me?

Anyway, I'm interested. I'll be picking up a Jacfab manifold soon, and would love to pair the two up.

BCS Auto on Facebook - - - Follow me on Instagram @datv6tho & @officialbcsauto
ghosted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 06:33 AM   #4
camrytt

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
I'd be interested if there's real evidence of it being greater than my ported one

Current: 2017 ZL1 A10
previous: 2019 1SS A10
previous: '14 L99, CAI intake, vmax ported tb, e85 kit, stage 2 cnc heads, speed engineering long tubes, custom high flows, resonated x pipe, muffler delete, qtp cut outs, gpi ss3 vvt Cam, zl1 pump and injectors, fti triple disc, mayhem motorsports trans cooler and tune, ngk spark plugs +red msd wires, 3.91 gears.
Past: '12 LFX, full bolt ons + E85, 302hp/267tq
camrytt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 06:49 AM   #5
clashley1976

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS M6
CAI intake, VTC, VMax PTB, VMax Iceolator, Apex intake scoop, Roto-Fab washer bottle relocate
Build Journal: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=419992

clashley1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 08:42 AM   #6
MikosV6
Account Suspended

Drives: '15 Camaro 1LS/M6
I wonder what Jason over at JacFab has to say about this mod?
MikosV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 08:52 AM   #7
MagnumForceGB

Drives: Fastest 2010 Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikosV6 View Post
I wonder what Jason over at JacFab has to say about this mod?
Jason pointed me to him when I was looking at upgrading my throttle body on my build thread.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:32 AM   #8
kmarshall2121

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary Edition
I would be interested in anyone with a previously PTB that is considering upgrading to this one....

Last edited by kmarshall2121; 01-07-2016 at 10:54 AM.
kmarshall2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 10:49 AM   #9
sixtyseven

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LT/RS 2017 XL1200C
I'm trying to figure this out. Does the supplied spacer plate accomplish this?

"The clamping area is 3.5" versus the 3" area of the stock throttle body, so you may need a new coupling for your intake, or some massaging required."

N/M
I figured it out. The coupling of the intake hose to TB. 3.5"- 3"
2015 2LT/RS Black -w- CGM Rally Stripes. CAI, Elite CC, Apex air scoop + w/b kit, JacFab ported IM/Extendolator, Solo HFC's, Corsa Sport Cat-Back #14953, GM strut brace, GM stealth splash guards, GM premium floor mats, Defenderworx two tone sills, Emblem Pro LFX hood emblems, FR41-20x9/20x10 gloss black wheels, OK91/93 - OKTCM Tune.

Last edited by sixtyseven; 01-07-2016 at 11:13 AM.
sixtyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 11:13 AM   #10
willoverkill

Drives: Fast
Price is on my website, it's very competitive versus a ported one, especially if you keep your core.

I won't be testing directly versus a competing product but I'll get a more official results versus stock when the right opportunity arises. In my own testing, I saw some good power gains on the GM torque PID while scanning, saw an increase in MAF frequency around 150hz, reduction in manifold vacuum at full throttle from the MAP sensor, all indicators that the throttle body is moving more air and making more power.

Sixtyseven, you can see in the first picture how the area that the intake tubing gets installed over is larger on the new throttle body, that's what I was referring to. It's 3.5" versus the 3" of the factory throttle body.

Clashley1976, I also have an LLT throttle body solution I'll post about soon!
willoverkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 11:41 AM   #11
clashley1976

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by willoverkill View Post
Clashley1976, I also have an LLT throttle body solution I'll post about soon!
Cool. I will be interested to know how that plays vs. the PTB I have.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
CAI intake, VTC, VMax PTB, VMax Iceolator, Apex intake scoop, Roto-Fab washer bottle relocate
Build Journal: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=419992

clashley1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 01:48 PM   #12
BluedEvil21

Drives: 2013 Camaro v6 hot wheels edition
This is what I like to see... innovative good job
Old 01-07-2016, 08:54 PM   #13
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
I'm curious to see what this does on a Dyno . I'd like to see what the Air fuel ratio is vs stock .
Old 01-07-2016, 11:45 PM   #14
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
i would guess it would beat out the competitors ported tb... they only cnc "pretty up" the first couple inches of the tb, they do not touch the back except just scuff it up, they do not enlarge the bore... the v6 throttle bodies stock really aren't that bad inside. they're just small. This unit actually makes sense to me.

That said, all of the ported intakes i have sent out to date have been done so in a way to maximize airflow and reduce turbulence with the stock 72mm tb. The stock tb is mounted slightly higher up on the bore, so i fill the bottom part and open up the top to match the stock/vmax.

If someone that currently has an intake that ive modified is thinking about this upgrade, i can redo the front of your intake to match the new setup for a nominal fee (most of this fee would be the shipping cost to get the intake back to you... I offer free shipping in the lower 48 on ported intakes, but that actually costs me between $30 to $40 a whack depending on your location, so a little food for thought there)... Or you could probably do it yourself if you wanted...Porting plastic kinda sucks because you have to use low speeds to avoid melting and just ruining tools getting clogged with melted plastic.

So because of this new product intro, I am going to have to offer a stock/vmax port job, or an Overkill 80mm unit port job. In theory price should not change, but i would prefer to send the finished piece out the door to fit what you are going to run. sixtyseven, if you see this, since im working on your intake now, ive sent you a message seeing what you prefer i do, so let me know.

i have asked Will if i can get the adapter plate so i can port to match if necessary for those that do plan on this and also want one of my intakes. if i can get a whole 80mm setup, id be more than happy to flow test several different combos (stock, "unported" 80mm tb, JF ported stock tb, and JF ported 80mm tb), but thats up to Will.

Kudos to Will at Overkill for coming up with the next big thing!

(Please excuse my worse than usual typing/punctuation... i am typing this on my pos windows tablet, and i apologize for turning this post into being about "me" if you think it comes across that way, but if i ship something out of here, i want it to be the best for what you want to do in the end, and in my mind this new product would totally change how i do what i would do if you buy one of my intakes and go with the 80mm tb unit
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote