Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-16-2020, 09:31 AM   #1
sckt

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Rear End Noise Worse than Ever

I have a 17 2SS

Noticed a moaning noise from the rear end not long after purchase. It continued to get worse. At the time it only occurred the first couple of tuns after a cold start in the morning. Did some research and someone pointed SB 17-NA-287 in a thread here. That described the issue exactly. Took it in to the dealer and refefenced the SB as a possible solution. They agreed that was the issues and performed the rear end flush and refill as described.

This seemed to resolve the issue, but only for a few days. This time it was 2 small moans on the first couple of turns from a cold start. took it back in and the mechanic was able to duplicate the issue. He did a repeat flush and refill. The Service Bulletin says it may take 2-3 time to clear the issues.

Now to today. Picked the car up a few days ago. Things seemed fine initially. Didn’t drive it for a day then took it out yesterday. The rear end now sounds like it is eating itself. Cold or warm. Every turn is a loud moan. Way worse than ever.

Anyone experienced similar? Any suggestions on how to approach the service manage Monday?

Thanks

Typing on mobile. Please excuse any typos
sckt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 09:40 AM   #2
wingchunsifu

Drives: 2017 2SS A8, 2018 Macan GTS
Mine had the same issue and it took two separate flushes to remedy. after the second flush, I was instructed to go to a big parking lot and perform several figure eights to properly disperse the fluid. So far no problems. Occasionally a slight noise initially when making a sharp turn to exit my garage. There is a pretty large thread here regarding the rear end moan. Some owners have had to swap out the rear end under warrantee. Good luck!
wingchunsifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 09:50 AM   #3
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingchunsifu View Post
Mine had the same issue and it took two separate flushes to remedy. after the second flush, I was instructed to go to a big parking lot and perform several figure eights to properly disperse the fluid. So far no problems. Occasionally a slight noise initially when making a sharp turn to exit my garage. There is a pretty large thread here regarding the rear end moan. Some owners have had to swap out the rear end under warrantee. Good luck!
I’ve not had the moaning issue with either of my SSes. 16 2SS A8 and 18 2SS M6 and what you describe it what I did with both.

At 1,500 miles I changed the diff fluid and then drove directly to a parking lot and drove figure 8s, alternating direction, for less than ~5 minutes.

Changing the diff fluid is easy to do. If you consider doing it yourself, use the OE fluids and get a little bottle pump form Autozone or Amazon.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 10:12 AM   #4
900RFWN

Drives: ‘18 ZL1 1LE
I had the TSB taken care of at the dealer. They flushed once, tested and flushed again the same visit. It’s been about 6 months and 3000 miles since with no groan so far. Keep taking it back to them. I hate taking vehicles to the dealer but it needs to be documented for warranty purposes. Especially in your case, it’s not sounding too good.
900RFWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 10:21 AM   #5
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 900RFWN View Post
I had the TSB taken care of at the dealer. They flushed once, tested and flushed again the same visit. It’s been about 6 months and 3000 miles since with no groan so far. Keep taking it back to them. I hate taking vehicles to the dealer but it needs to be documented for warranty purposes. Especially in your case, it’s not sounding too good.
What this guy said. You want this documented by the dealer. It’s a paper trail that shows a recurring problem. Take it back in. To me by your description it sounds like a bearing is lunched. Good luck.
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 10:42 AM   #6
CamaroRSOnt

Drives: 2023 SS Vert
I had this same problem in a Solstice with the posi-trac diff. Took it back in the Chevy dealer did the routine, noise came back within a 1000 miles. Then I did it myself with Royal Purple diff lube (on the advice of other Solstice drivers) and never had a problem again. Might have been that it was done a second time or it might have been because of the Royal Purple, still have the car, no issues, it has been 8 yrs.
2014 C7 Z51
2020 RS Convertible
2023 2SS Convertible
CamaroRSOnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 11:27 AM   #7
CamaroBody

Drives: Hyper Blue 2SS
fill it up until it starts to leak out

Mods:
XPEL - Hood, Bumper, Headlights, & Side Mirrors
JWM - Side Markers
ZL1 Addons - Deluxe Rock Guards & Red Lift Pads
GM - Dark Tail Lamps
MRR - Gloss Black M017s
CamaroBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 02:23 PM   #8
sckt

I just got off the phone with the dealer. Last time they had it. The parts dept gave the mechanic the wrong fluid. (I'd say that is the mechanic's fault. He should have checked the parts before using them) They used a fluid without LSD additive.

They have changed the fluid again and want to keep it one more day to do a cold start drive.

I asked about damage. They pulled the cover and didn't find any clutch particles so they feel like no damage was done.

Any thoughts?
Old 02-18-2020, 03:26 PM   #9
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sckt View Post
I just got off the phone with the dealer. Last time they had it. The parts dept gave the mechanic the wrong fluid. (I'd say that is the mechanic's fault. He should have checked the parts before using them) They used a fluid without LSD additive.

They have changed the fluid again and want to keep it one more day to do a cold start drive.

I asked about damage. They pulled the cover and didn't find any clutch particles so they feel like no damage was done.

Any thoughts?
What does the owner's manual say about the diff fluid spec?

I know the dealer should know what the right fluid is, but it doesn't hurt to discuss in advance what should be used. Some Chevy dealers have minimal experience with Camaros.

When I had my diff fluid changed, I discovered that they were about to use the wrong fluid and I had to correct them. They are supposed to go by what the database tells them by VIN, but some mechanics "think" they know better and skip that step, particularly on routine items like fluids.

As for your dealer's claim that no damage was done, I'm not buying it, necessarily. How long did you drive with the wrong fluid and how bad was the noise? Now that they've admitted their mistake, I would politely ask them to replace the clutch pack. The problem is, damage will be impossible to prove. As the clutch pack wears, what happens is gradual reduction in the posi-traction performance. It will take more torque to lock up. It's not a step function from lockup to open diff. If they refuse to replace the clutch pack, you should consider whether you care about reduced LSD performance. If you don't race, maybe this is a non-issue. Nothing is broken; it's just that you may have less torque transfer from the spinning tire to the planted tire.

Finally, let me add that you will always have some moan when cold. A grippy LSD is going to moan when it's cold, and will be silent once it is warmed up, except maybe a little noise on sharp turns in reverse. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 04:29 PM   #10
Wierd Harold

Drives: 2017 2lt rs
Who did you speak to at the dealer.when you go back and talk to him ,see if he has brown eyes.He is full of crap.There is no cover on the diff.
Wierd Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 09:32 PM   #11
900RFWN

Drives: ‘18 ZL1 1LE
Quote:

Any thoughts?
Not good. Not surprising either. At this point they will say anything to make you feel better and hope that the warranty expires before a catastrophic failure. Make sure your next trip there is at least a double flush and that the service receipts show the mistake in fluids.

Do some homework on other dealers in your area that have plenty of ZL1s and Z06s. After about 500 miles of these idiots changing the fluids visit the new dealer and tell them it’s groaning even if it isn’t. They’ll change the fluids for sure without even listening for it especially if you let them know that you know there is a bulletin for it.
900RFWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 06:53 AM   #12
Hyronike

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I have a 2016 SS and noticed the same issue last year before I put it in storage for the winter. Thanks for researching the 17-NA-287 service bulletin and posting it. I will get this addressed first thing when I take it out in the spring.
Hyronike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 08:04 AM   #13
dmcmahan60

Drives: 2017 SS
Quote:

Any thoughts?
Well since they admitted to putting the wrong fluid in it, talk to the service manager about extending your powertrain warranty. There is no way to know if it did damage to the components just by taking the cover off and looking at it:(
Keep a cool head and just let them know you don't trust them and that it never should have happened in the first place. Got my warranty extended because they shorted me 4 quarts of oil on an oil change and I caught them. Good luck and let us know what happens.
dmcmahan60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 09:31 AM   #14
sckt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
What does the owner's manual say about the diff fluid spec?

I know the dealer should know what the right fluid is, but it doesn't hurt to discuss in advance what should be used. Some Chevy dealers have minimal experience with Camaros.

When I had my diff fluid changed, I discovered that they were about to use the wrong fluid and I had to correct them. They are supposed to go by what the database tells them by VIN, but some mechanics "think" they know better and skip that step, particularly on routine items like fluids.

As for your dealer's claim that no damage was done, I'm not buying it, necessarily. How long did you drive with the wrong fluid and how bad was the noise? Now that they've admitted their mistake, I would politely ask them to replace the clutch pack. The problem is, damage will be impossible to prove. As the clutch pack wears, what happens is gradual reduction in the posi-traction performance. It will take more torque to lock up. It's not a step function from lockup to open diff. If they refuse to replace the clutch pack, you should consider whether you care about reduced LSD performance. If you don't race, maybe this is a non-issue. Nothing is broken; it's just that you may have less torque transfer from the spinning tire to the planted tire.

Finally, let me add that you will always have some moan when cold. A grippy LSD is going to moan when it's cold, and will be silent once it is warmed up, except maybe a little noise on sharp turns in reverse. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

This dealer is the largest Corvette dealer in the area. I would hope he hires performance-minded mechanics.

Drove it maybe 100 miles with the wrong fluid. Didn't notice the noise until about 60. I started to have it towed. I wish I would have. We were about 40 miles from home when it started up.

The noise was fairly bad. Straight-line was fine was just in turns.

Thanks for the info. I will talk to the service manager about replacing the packs.