Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Z/28 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 01-27-2020, 01:45 PM   #15
Abubaca

Drives: 2016 SS
Interesting discussion.

I also doubt we'll see much more from the 6th Generation. As has been mentioned, where does it fit? What budget and performance demand isn't being met? You could certainly argue the SS 1LE could've been a Z28, but after the 5th gen Z it would've felt shorted I think. -and now, with the 7th gen in question, any Z they made would really have to be THE Z28 to end all Z28's, as it may in fact....BE the end. Let's hope not.

What I always felt they should've done...now hear me out...would've been to put the 5.3 in the SS. It could be a tick slower than the GT and Challenger, but also would come in a lot cheaper, and be begging to be modded. -and clearly the 2020 LT1 shows us GM understands the cheaper v8 concept. The serious contender would be the Z28, which would be today's SS 1LE.

Just spitballin' on a slow Monday afternoon. I dunno. I'd love to see a Z28, but I don't see where GM would build one at this point.
Abubaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 09:10 AM   #16
Katech_Zach

Drives: 14 Camaro SS 1LE
I wish they would bring back the 7.0L for a 6th gen Z28, but I doubt they will. I am hoping that we will be able to create our own version of one when the right customer comes along. We have been searching for a ZL1-1LE owner to remove the LT4 blower and convert to our NA 427 800hp package.
Katech_Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 09:51 AM   #17
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abubaca View Post
Interesting discussion.

I also doubt we'll see much more from the 6th Generation. As has been mentioned, where does it fit? What budget and performance demand isn't being met? You could certainly argue the SS 1LE could've been a Z28, but after the 5th gen Z it would've felt shorted I think. -and now, with the 7th gen in question, any Z they made would really have to be THE Z28 to end all Z28's, as it may in fact....BE the end. Let's hope not.

What I always felt they should've done...now hear me out...would've been to put the 5.3 in the SS. It could be a tick slower than the GT and Challenger, but also would come in a lot cheaper, and be begging to be modded. -and clearly the 2020 LT1 shows us GM understands the cheaper v8 concept. The serious contender would be the Z28, which would be today's SS 1LE.

Just spitballin' on a slow Monday afternoon. I dunno. I'd love to see a Z28, but I don't see where GM would build one at this point.
I think you hit the nail on the head. the 5th gen car kind of shoe horned the name plate.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 12:38 PM   #18
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katech_Zach View Post
I wish they would bring back the 7.0L for a 6th gen Z28, but I doubt they will. I am hoping that we will be able to create our own version of one when the right customer comes along. We have been searching for a ZL1-1LE owner to remove the LT4 blower and convert to our NA 427 800hp package.
If money grew on trees in my yard, I'd do exactly this Zach! This would be my ideal 6th gen Camaro!
Old 01-28-2020, 03:04 PM   #19
NW-99SS

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katech_Zach View Post
That would be a dream goal of mine. Being a Corvette guy as well, I would likely just go with a C7 GS for this however.
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
NW-99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 02:31 PM   #20
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
You bring up a good point there that I would love to see people's response to. People love to dog the coyote and voodoo for now low end grunt. I'd bet some of those people would love this engine just because GM made it lol
I certainly would not be one of those people, I own a Camaro not a mustang for several reasons the lt1 torque being one of them.

I'm sure some would love it just because GM makes it lol... but it'll probably be better than the voodoo because of that
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 07:15 AM   #21
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
You bring up a good point there that I would love to see people's response to. People love to dog the coyote and voodoo for now low end grunt. I'd bet some of those people would love this engine just because GM made it lol
I am one of those people. It isn't just that one thing. It is that one thing with everything else about the Mustang that makes it bad. GM clearly does a better job engineering their engines. I would fully trust an engine of this type if it was done by GM. I would trust it and buy the car. I wouldn't touch one from Ford tho. Not at all. It isn't the actual engine that I distrust. It is Ford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
I disagree about the Z/28 going with the LT5. They dropped the ball with the C7 Z06 going supercharged. Now all anyone can say is the C8 Z06 has to make more power or it will be a failure. Never mind actually being track capable or well balanced. Either continue off where the 5th gen ended or don’t do it at all. Where it fits in the lineup is irrelevant. The Z/28 is iconic and deserves to stand on its own.

The thing most people care about with performance cars is bragging rights and content. Corvette abandoned their heritage with the C7 Z06 because they knew most people just want the Z06 badge, without the actual Z06. The C7 Z06 has nothing in common with its predecessors.

All of this doesn’t matter anyways. The 6th gen Camaro is done. They are just going to ride it out, until the 7th gen or the whole thing is canceled.
Perhaps. But the C7Z06 went supercharged because it needed the power to push the car to higher limits. Now we see that this platform is at the end of it's rope based on limitations. The upcoming Z06 will not need a supercharged engine or more HP than the C7 Z06 to beat it. This new platform is by far superior to the C7 and that alone will be a night and day difference. Of course people want power power power. But this thing is gonna be soo damn fast and have such amazing control that after one ride nobody will even think about how much power it has.
Quote:
I am one of those people. It isn't just that one thing. It is that one thing with everything else about the Mustang that makes it bad. GM clearly does a better job engineering their engines. I would fully trust an engine of this type if it was done by GM. I would not prefer it, but I would trust it and buy the car. I wouldn't touch one from Ford tho. Not at all.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 09:07 AM   #22
shaffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
I am one of those people. It isn't just that one thing. It is that one thing with everything else about the Mustang that makes it bad. GM clearly does a better job engineering their engines. I would fully trust an engine of this type if it was done by GM. I would trust it and buy the car. I wouldn't touch one from Ford tho. Not at all. It isn't the actual engine that I distrust. It is Ford.
My point was more people love to say they like their LT1s because of low end grunt and who needs high RPMs of the coyote and other DOHC engines hell even take ford out of it. Most people here don't like DOHC engines becuase they have nothing down low. GM isn't going to do some magic trick and make a DOHC that screams and has gobs of low end torque like an LT1 does because those engines simply don't work like that. I was suggesting that a lot of people that don't like DOHC engines for their driving properties are all of a sudden going to love them just because GM made it and are going to flip their positions on them

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
Perhaps. But the C7Z06 went supercharged because it needed the power to push the car to higher limits. Now we see that this platform is at the end of it's rope based on limitations. The upcoming Z06 will not need a supercharged engine or more HP than the C7 Z06 to beat it. This new platform is by far superior to the C7 and that alone will be a night and day difference. Of course people want power power power. But this thing is gonna be soo damn fast and have such amazing control that after one ride nobody will even think about how much power it has.
If you follow the rumor mill, they tried to go NA 7.0 for the C7Z06. They could make the power they wanted but it wouldn't pass cold start emissions so they stuck with the 6.2 and supercharged it because that was the only way to get the power and pass regulations.

Now you lead me into a point I made in another thread. The ME layout for the Vette. What is good for Corvette may no longer be good for Camaro. Less powerful engines might be a great fit in the mid engine layout but how well would they work in a heavier front engine car
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
Old 01-31-2020, 10:55 AM   #23
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
I read they wanted to keep AFM but the lifters wouldn’t hold up to the cam and RPM needed.

Either way, the C7Z06 is a Z06 is name only. Now that is the standard people expect for the C8Z06.

From the sound of things, the Z06 will have a flat plane crank. Maybe the Z06 will be along the lines of the GT3 but that’s unluckily. Content is more important than performance when people look at performance cars.
Old 01-31-2020, 11:06 AM   #24
shaffe

That might have been it actually. I know it was something related to fuel economy or emissions or some combination of those.
Old 02-01-2020, 11:49 AM   #25
1295/SS

Drives: 87 GNX 87 Turbo T '13 CTS-V
Quote:
I read they wanted to keep AFM but the lifters wouldn’t hold up to the cam and RPM needed.

Either way, the C7Z06 is a Z06 is name only. Now that is the standard people expect for the C8Z06.

From the sound of things, the Z06 will have a flat plane crank. Maybe the Z06 will be along the lines of the GT3 but that’s unluckily. Content is more important than performance when people look at performance cars.
In name only? WTF does that even mean? It's the C7Z, end of story.
1295/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 05:23 PM   #26
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1295/SS View Post
In name only? WTF does that even mean? It's the C7Z, end of story.
Compare the C5 and C6 Z06 to the C7 Z06. The 5 and 6 were fixed roof, light weight, naturally aspirated, track capable and manual only. The C7 Z06 is none of those.
Old 02-02-2020, 08:34 AM   #27
1295/SS

Drives: 87 GNX 87 Turbo T '13 CTS-V
Quote:
Compare the C5 and C6 Z06 to the C7 Z06. The 5 and 6 were fixed roof, light weight, naturally aspirated, track capable and manual only. The C7 Z06 is none of those.
So the C7Z isn't track capable? It's called evolution. The C8Z will be different as well, so I guess its only a Z in name?
1295/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 09:03 AM   #28
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1295/SS View Post
So the C7Z isn't track capable? It's called evolution. The C8Z will be different as well, so I guess its only a Z in name?
Agreed. My brother has a ‘16 C7Z and I can tell you from my own experience trying to catch up with him, it is *very* track capable.