Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 09-10-2019, 10:57 AM   #29
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
You'd be surprised what can be done with just the data from OnStar... Google has become power corrupt and think of all the data they have on you already. Just saying.

When you talk to someone and need to indicate they should search for something on the internet, I bet you use the term, "just Google xxx."

From a competency standpoint for a product, yeah, it's a great thing!
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 11:03 AM   #30
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSport16 View Post
I work in IT and I am usually the last person to be the guinea pig for all these new technologies for that very reason, I know what actually happens behind the scenes more than just the average person. One of the reasons I tell everyone I know to get the hell off of social media sites, they own all those pictures and everything you put onto their servers, no getting those items back or wiped out completely.

I just have a hard time believing they would make you pay for some type of data/internet service in order for the system to function, or maybe parts of it will not be functional without some type of data purchase.
It's alarming how many nudies are stored from people via SnapChat on servers and disgusting what could potentially happen with those photos.

Data security is a big, big deal, especially once you start becoming aware of what is/can be done with it and what type of rights are attached to that data.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 11:07 AM   #31
tstodii

Drives: White 2015 Z/28
I'm not an iPhone fan(at all), but Apple has historically refused to give up their customers' information to the Feds. Unlike Google, who willing hands over huge data dumps, even when the request is for something trivial... i.e. not really warranting anyone(including the gov) to have access to that information... Oh well, privacy is only perceived these days if you have any "smart" device. Guess everyone forgot about the Samsung SmartTv microphone "scandal" from a few years ago. Basically consumers heard that their TV could listen to them, they freaked out, and tried to boycott Samsung tvs... nowadays everything has a mic and is connected to the web, so bye bye personal privacy
tstodii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 11:35 AM   #32
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
I guess what I don't get is why worry about Car Play when you can install any Android app you want and use your car or your phone as a data source?

Assuming you can of course like current Android head units.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:36 AM   #33
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i got the android update in my camaro over the weekend its pretty nice!
Old 09-10-2019, 04:17 PM   #34
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
I'm a die hard Android user, but Android Auto SUCKS compared to Apple car play.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 05:16 PM   #35
Mov Ov3r
What speed limit?

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
I haven't really sat in my car and dug in to learn the ins and outs. Really I youtube everything. I might start there to figure it all out lol.
Mov Ov3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:30 PM   #36
pyroguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mov Ov3r View Post
I haven't really sat in my car and dug in to learn the ins and outs. Really I youtube everything. I might start there to figure it all out lol.
I have an android personal phone and an iPhone work phone. My work truck runs both platforms and by far I prefer apple car play even though I'm a diehard android user.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:39 PM   #37
EMTNLSS

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Quote:
Do you have the new Android Auto because I think it's a lot better then what it was before.

I'm all for Android Automotive. It's better then what GM has.

Current Mods: Catch Can | aFe Lowering Springs | GM 2nd Gen Splitter | Hotchkis Sway Bars | MRR FS02 Wheels | Flowmaster Exhaust | Dark Tail Lights | Diode Dynamics Sidemarkers | Roto Fab | Solar TB | PRAY Ported IM | BMR | PRAY Tune

Upcoming Mods:
EMTNLSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 07:13 AM   #38
pyroguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTNLSS View Post
Do you have the new Android Auto because I think it's a lot better then what it was before.

I'm all for Android Automotive. It's better then what GM has.
I had (I deleted it recently) the latest version of Android Auto on my phone and when I get my truck close to my house it connects to my wifi and updates itself so I believe that I had the latest edition on the truck. I just couldn't stand that it would 100% lock you out of your own phone until you unplugged from the vehicle. If I was sitting at a stoplight and wanted to look up anything from directions to somewhere new to Facebook because I was bored in stopped traffic I had to unplug to do anything. Additionally, all of the extra permissions that it requested was rather annoying as well. There was no reason why it needed permission to half of the stuff it was requesting permission to on my phone.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:46 AM   #39
6sigma

Drives: rally green LT1 manual
Quote:
I've found Android Auto to be light years better than CarPlay. Apple seems to hobble Google Maps in CarPlay - no pinch zoom, no swipe to drag, etc. Feels like going back a few generations in technology. Waze is a little better. And don't forget that Apple only recently even allowed Google Maps or Waze in CarPlay. The new design in the latest Android Auto is even better - if you haven't tried it yet give it a shot. The permissions thing I find the same for both Apple and Android - generally once you get them both setup in a car they don't ask anymore. Also, Android Auto was updated some time back to allow you to access the phone while connected.
6sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 05:44 AM   #40
Artryan

Drives: 2018 ZL1 , 2020 GMC AT4 Carbon Pro
I don't want Google on anything I own- if possible. They are corrupt and in the business of controlling people by controlling the decimination of all information we take in and put out as free thinking human beings. Google wants to use you against yourself for their own benefit, whether it be politics or commerce.

The forthcoming probe into their monopoly is welcome, but I don't believe for one second that Google and the Fed's aren't in bed together.
Artryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 10:10 AM   #41
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artryan View Post
I don't want Google on anything I own- if possible. They are corrupt and in the business of controlling people by controlling the decimination of all information we take in and put out as free thinking human beings. Google wants to use you against yourself for their own benefit, whether it be politics or commerce.

The forthcoming probe into their monopoly is welcome, but I don't believe for one second that Google and the Fed's aren't in bed together.
This is why I wish Samsung would get going on their Tizen OS and make it main stream on their Flagship devices.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 09:43 PM   #42
Bobkd

Drives: 2018 1ss, 2021 silverado HD
Quote:
I had (I deleted it recently) the latest version of Android Auto on my phone and when I get my truck close to my house it connects to my wifi and updates itself so I believe that I had the latest edition on the truck. I just couldn't stand that it would 100% lock you out of your own phone until you unplugged from the vehicle. If I was sitting at a stoplight and wanted to look up anything from directions to somewhere new to Facebook because I was bored in stopped traffic I had to unplug to do anything. Additionally, all of the extra permissions that it requested was rather annoying as well. There was no reason why it needed permission to half of the stuff it was requesting permission to on my phone.
The update is on the phone not in your cars mylink. You can access your phone by swiping up and do anything you want except use google maps. if android auto doesn't look any different, you can go into settings in the android auto app and change it to the new UI. The update is pushed out by google and not a normal app update.
Bobkd is offline   Reply With Quote