Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-05-2019, 07:14 PM   #15
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
A8! I think you're gonna have to turn in your membership card and t-shirt! (avatar)

I think the Vette will get just as much attention, and I hope you like early bird dinner buffets if you're gonna hang with Vette owners!

Here in CO nobody has Camaros, mine gets lots of attention but people love it. Previous car was an STi, now those cars have some serious vape-bro stigma around here, lol. And they suck for the most part, definitely not worth it unless you drive primarily on low traction surfaces.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:20 PM   #16
USAFS197

Drives: 2018 Audi TT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4racer View Post
Still baffled. Explain to who ? Your friends? Mine are mostly not car gutys and just go ohh that’s sweet lookin. Anyway I can’t say I’ve ever let other people’s opinion sway what car I happen to like and own. But to each his own I guess.
It was more of a sensation that it was guilt by association. Cars and coffee meets, random strangers, friends, coworkers, etc. I loved my car and spoke of it often. To that end, I don’t think it was a singular situation or conversation with a particular person that swayed me, more of a perception thing that slowly drove me away from the vehicle; akin to owning a car that may have a known community where many people have strong ideas about it, like Civics or stanced cars—ultimately with a negative connotation. Being 40, I’m about the right age to get a Corvette anyhow. Granted I should have just retired instead but, I like to buy fancy things. Maybe I’ll just retire in a few years instead (if I can convince the wife).

I guess what I’m trying to convey is that I didn’t really feel as though I fit the mindset of most Camaro owners or what people associated with them. It was entertaining to be a bit different in that regard but it became tiresome and ultimately, I felt uncomfortably displaced.
About as fast as the TT RS
2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Sold
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Sold
2019 Corvette Z06
Sold
2021 Charger Hellcat Redeye Widebody
Sold
USAFS197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 07:22 PM   #17
USAFS197

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
A8! I think you're gonna have to turn in your membership card and t-shirt! (avatar)

I think the Vette will get just as much attention, and I hope you like early bird dinner buffets if you're gonna hang with Vette owners!

Here in CO nobody has Camaros, mine gets lots of attention but people love it. Previous car was an STi, now those cars have some serious vape-bro stigma around here, lol. And they suck for the most part, definitely not worth it unless you drive primarily on low traction surfaces.
Nice. Lol. We are about to buy my daughter an STi. She loves those cars and my wife and I both owned STi’s when we were in Japan. She got another when we returned to the states but ironically, she blew the motor racing some random BMW; she won, however.
2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Sold
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Sold
2019 Corvette Z06
Sold
Sold
Old 09-05-2019, 07:22 PM   #18
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 Jetta 1.8, '19 1SS
You spent all that coin and got the universally panned A8? Major

You should have kept your 1LE or gone with a ZL1. Having owned a C6 and test driven a C7, my SS is so much more comfortable to drive with much less tire/road noise.

As far as groups/image for the Camaro, should be a non-starter. Plenty of morons drive Vettes too. And old farts.
cbr1100xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 07:27 PM   #19
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
Fair enough. I’m sure I don’t fit that mindset either btw ! 10 years older and already have owned 4 vettes and have been heavily into various forms of racing starting with 1/4mi but moving into autox / HPDE then dedicated road racing series. So a lot of the people I know are racers and by that meaning cars that brake and turn. There is no hate in that crowd for the Camaro as a general rule. But ya I get the general picture you are painting.

It may not be a lot better with a vette. Not in my experience. Mostly gray hairs driving those except for the real track rat types that get what they can do.
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 07:31 PM   #20
c4racer

And not to pile on but I would not get a performance GM car with the A8.
It’s a weak point right now. Manual would be a requirement for me.
I have that A8 in my truck but it’s a truck. So far so good there.
But what’s done is done there. Enjoy and hope the A8 behaves itself while you own it.
Guessing that’s only a few years so probably a don’t care.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:46 PM   #21
USAFS197

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4racer View Post
And not to pile on but I would not get a performance GM car with the A8.
It’s a weak point right now. Manual would be a requirement for me.
I have that A8 in my truck but it’s a truck. So far so good there.
But what’s done is done there. Enjoy and hope the A8 behaves itself while you own it.
Guessing that’s only a few years so probably a don’t care.
This is my second car with an A8. My first was a 2016 2SS A8 so, the issues with it aren't lost on me. I ended up getting the torque converter replaced on it. I'm not thrilled about getting another car with an A8 but, it seems that largely, it can be fixed via transmission tuning, replacing the torque converter or simply by placing a range device on it and eliminating the active displacement. If it gives me trouble beyond those remedies then yeah, you're right, I'll probably get something else--although there's a strong chance that if I do, this time I'll move on from Chevrolet as a whole. This is my 4th GM product and usually that's my limit per manufacturer.
2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Sold
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Sold
2019 Corvette Z06
Sold
Sold
Old 09-05-2019, 07:54 PM   #22
OVRKLL

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE...makes me go YeeeHaw!
Congrats on the Z06!
Enjoy it no matter what others say.
I looked at getting a GS, but the 1LE showed up and it was a deal.
My wife told be the Corvette is like mid life crisis!
I told her WHAT!
I'm in my 60's and beyond the mid life, so for me that would be a good thing!

I enjoy my 1LE, but my final run will be a 911 down the road, then again I may end up with just a Golf Cart!
Old 09-05-2019, 08:09 PM   #23
craigss50

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Fifty
Very nice looking C7 Z06. Congrats. I went to replace my 2004 C5 6 speed manual for a C7 Grand Sport but there was this beautiful Camaro 2 SS Fifty Vert on the showroom floor with the same engine and trans as the Vette and blind spot/rear traffic alert that the Vette did not have. I just liked the SS better and Corvettes are a dime a dozen down here in South Florida. I am not too influenced by others opinions. I get what I like but my Corvette friends did harass me a little at first. I still really like my Camaro even after experiencing the A8 shutter. Only thing I would suggest is you get an extended warranty on any GM performance car.
craigss50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 08:11 PM   #24
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Those cars are incredible! If they were more affordable and had a back seat I might’ve gotten one!
Congrats on your new ride!
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 08:13 PM   #25
c4racer

I got my first midlife crisis car (vette) in my mid 30s. But it was a race car for the most part.

It’s funny I had largely moved on from GM products myself and had a big string of BMW a couple P cars including 911 and one Audi. But the 6th gen was finally a good enough car to bring me back into the fold. In fact it was so good I really felt my E39 M5 was redundant so I sold that one. I didn’t fall in love with the 911. But I would like to try one of the neeer ones at some point I think. 2012+.
Old 09-05-2019, 08:38 PM   #26
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFS197 View Post
Some of you may care, some may not. I traded my car in last night. It had 6759 miles on it upon trade in. It was a 2018 1SS 1LE w/o PDR and I got $35k for trade in value towards a 2019 Corvette Z06 3LZ. I walked away with paying $67k out the door with my equity and no down payment.

The 1LE has been an amazing ownership experience but, I realized that I just didn't have the same mindset as many Camaro owners and the general public when it came to this car. It led to a lot of explanations, frustrations and fending off bro's. While I've noticed that there's certainly some elitism on the Corvette side of the fence, I do find that many of them are much more open minded to different approaches to builds and philosophies. I won't go so far as to say that it was my driving force in the trade but, I did want something different and I'm getting to that age where I wanted to experience Corvette ownership first hand.

So, after wrestling with the thought for almost a year, I finally pulled the trigger on the car. I think I would have preferred owning a Grand Sport beforehand as I'm not someone who chases horsepower numbers from the factory but since I already owned two cars with a LT1, I wanted to give the LT4 a try.
Your Camaro looked good and the Z06 also looks good. Congratulations!

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 08:59 PM   #27
L8Apex

Drives: 2016 2SS
Gorgeous C7, how about a few more pictures of it?
L8Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 09:06 PM   #28
HouseStark

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFS197 View Post
Some of you may care, some may not. I traded my car in last night. It had 6759 miles on it upon trade in. It was a 2018 1SS 1LE w/o PDR and I got $35k for trade in value towards a 2019 Corvette Z06 3LZ. I walked away with paying $67k out the door with my equity and no down payment.

The 1LE has been an amazing ownership experience but, I realized that I just didn't have the same mindset as many Camaro owners and the general public when it came to this car. It led to a lot of explanations, frustrations and fending off bro's. While I've noticed that there's certainly some elitism on the Corvette side of the fence, I do find that many of them are much more open minded to different approaches to builds and philosophies. I won't go so far as to say that it was my driving force in the trade but, I did want something different and I'm getting to that age where I wanted to experience Corvette ownership first hand.

So, after wrestling with the thought for almost a year, I finally pulled the trigger on the car. I think I would have preferred owning a Grand Sport beforehand as I'm not someone who chases horsepower numbers from the factory but since I already owned two cars with a LT1, I wanted to give the LT4 a try.
I’ve never once had any of the issues you’re talking about. I have a 1SS 1LE no PDR and I was offered 36.5 on trade so I guess not a bad amount. I hope that’s seriiusly not why you traded it in but instead to have a superior machine
HouseStark is offline   Reply With Quote