Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Phastek Performance

Old 02-23-2020, 03:56 PM   #1
Ranedoss27

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE, 2002 Z28, 1987 IROC-Z
Confused and annoyed is an understatement

I will start at the beginning and be quick. Came out to my garage and found my 2018 camaro with a dead battery. Hooked up a battery charger for a day and the battery is toast. Only will charge to 5 volts. Ran some jumper cables to the battery connection in my trunk and tried to jump to the car. Still nothing. Checked the starter relay, good. Pulled the starter, also good. Checked all the fuses in under the hood. All the car does is click 2 times when press the start button, even when hooked up the jumper cables and reading 14 volts. I’m lost, any suggestions?
Ranedoss27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 04:11 PM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Your battery is too dead for the charger to work. The battery needs to be hooked up to another battery in parallel for about 12 to 24 hours and slowly 2 batts will equalize at 8 or 9v then a charger will work. This is a characteristic of AGM batteries.

Then again, the battery could be entirely defective, with a short in one of the cells, making it garbage. Lots of reports here of that happening.…A 2018 should still be under warranty.

Last edited by Glen e; 02-23-2020 at 04:21 PM.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 04:35 PM   #3
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Definitely sounds like a bad battery... even at 14 volts it can't hold any type of load.

If you were to get it charged good I still wouldn't trust it.
Old 02-23-2020, 04:44 PM   #4
17rsvert

Drives: 2017 HBM 2LT RS Convertible V6 A8
What type of charger do you have? A 'smart' charger or an old school type? I think what Glen e is referring to is when a smart charger sees a battery discharged to that extent, it may assume the battery is bad and will not continue the automated charge cycle and aborts. I have a Schumacher smart charger that behaves that way. The work around is to, as Glen e mentioned, hook it up to another battery to bring the voltage up enough that the smart charger will continue its cycle, or use an old school charger without the smart cycle.

You can also keep trying the smart charger for maybe a half dozen tries. While it's running the diagnostics at the start of the cycle, it puts out around 14 volts before it determines if the battery is good or bad. Although it will keep aborting, if you keep putting 14 volts into the battery, it eventually may charge it enough so the smart cycle will work.

Of course, this is assuming that the battery can be salvaged and not FUBAR.
17rsvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 06:59 PM   #5
Ranedoss27

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE, 2002 Z28, 1987 IROC-Z
Swapped the battery out and got the car to start for a second, then it died, then it wouldn’t start or turnover just like before, THEN the car started on its own ����*♂️. The cars electrical system was going haywire. I noticed my wide band O2 gauge wasn’t cycling like it normally did on start up. So I disconnected it from where I was tied into electrical system and the car fired right up and runs no problem. Doesn’t make any sense to me, the car has had that O2 wired in for months with no issues. Whatever, just happy it’s over. I hate electrical issues
Ranedoss27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 08:35 PM   #6
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranedoss27 View Post
Swapped the battery out and got the car to start for a second, then it died, then it wouldn’t start or turnover just like before, THEN the car started on its own ����*♂️. The cars electrical system was going haywire. I noticed my wide band O2 gauge wasn’t cycling like it normally did on start up. So I disconnected it from where I was tied into electrical system and the car fired right up and runs no problem. Doesn’t make any sense to me, the car has had that O2 wired in for months with no issues. Whatever, just happy it’s over. I hate electrical issues
Wow... that's crazy, but glad you figured it out.
Old 02-24-2020, 08:25 AM   #7
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
The Camaro uses a AGM battery, as Glen said once they go dead flat newer chargers cant bring them back up. You have to use a NiMh in parallel and get the batter over 6v then most smart chargers will start to charge it after that.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 09:59 AM   #8
gotroost

Drives: 2021 Crush ZL1 1LE
I hate these new AGM batteries! Mine died after sitting for 2 1/2 weeks and it is a real PITA to access it in the right rear of the trunk. What retard would hide a battery under interior panels.... Bought an AGM charger but it would not revive it even with direct access to the terminals. Replaced the battery and it now lives on a CTEK MXS 5.0 battery tender. So far so good!

gotroost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 10:04 AM   #9
ssmofo

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Sounds like a dead cell, it will not charge or start the car.......new battery time.
ssmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 10:10 AM   #10
MP3BOOSTED

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE (F1A-94 FBO H/C)
you change anything on the car? bad ground? i could leave my car sitting for a month or two and it start right up with no issues. I recently had a bad ground issue though, turned out the alternator took a crap with that ground issue.
Performance Mods: F1A-94, DSX Flex Fuel Kit, MSD Spark Plug Wires, KOOK 2" off road headers, MBRP Race catback exhaust, Pray Performance Custom Boost Cam, Rocker Arm Trunion Upgrade Kit, 7.850" Hardened Chromemoly Length Pushrods and Johnson Racing 2110R Lifters, TSP CNC'd Heads, Ported MSD intake manifold, 103mm Katech Throttle body, Forged Pistons/Rods, RPM Meth kit, DSX Aux Fuel system, AEM Failsafe and banks gauge, LT4 HPFP, LT4 injectors, BMR motor mounts, Hurst Short Throw, Manley SS exhaust valves

Videos of my car? Check here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNi...Qy1OL4NVGlPogw
MP3BOOSTED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 10:19 AM   #11
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP3BOOSTED View Post
you change anything on the car? bad ground? i could leave my car sitting for a month or two and it start right up with no issues. I recently had a bad ground issue though, turned out the alternator took a crap with that ground issue.
OP states that he wired in a "wide band O2 sensor" and removing it solved the problem.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 10:20 AM   #12
MP3BOOSTED

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE (F1A-94 FBO H/C)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
OP states that he wired in a "wide band O2 sensor" and removing it solved the problem.
makes sense lol, didn't read anything but the first post. thanks
Performance Mods: F1A-94, DSX Flex Fuel Kit, MSD Spark Plug Wires, KOOK 2" off road headers, MBRP Race catback exhaust, Pray Performance Custom Boost Cam, Rocker Arm Trunion Upgrade Kit, 7.850" Hardened Chromemoly Length Pushrods and Johnson Racing 2110R Lifters, TSP CNC'd Heads, Ported MSD intake manifold, 103mm Katech Throttle body, Forged Pistons/Rods, RPM Meth kit, DSX Aux Fuel system, AEM Failsafe and banks gauge, LT4 HPFP, LT4 injectors, BMR motor mounts, Hurst Short Throw, Manley SS exhaust valves

Videos of my car? Check here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNi...Qy1OL4NVGlPogw
MP3BOOSTED is offline   Reply With Quote