Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

AWE Tuning

Old 03-26-2016, 10:53 PM   #15
andrec10

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS 6SP/Suby Legacy 6
The 4 piston brakes stop better than the M4 with the 9000$ brake upgrade. You do the math!

Its Here! Finally came home on 3-31-16! Red Hot 2SS,6 Speed, NPP, MRC, Adrenaline Red interior, Silver Rally Stripes, NAV, Sunroof, 56W Split Spoke Wheels, Body color Hood vents, Body color Splash Guards and winter protection package.

Ordered 1-28-16: 1100
2-11-2016 :2000
2-15-2016: 3000 TPW of 3/7...That went quick!
2-26-2016: 3400 Status TPW 3/7
3-5-2016 : 3800
3-8-2016 : 4300
3-11-2016 : 4B00
3-15-2016 : 4200
3-22-2016 : 4800
3-29-2016 : 6000!
andrec10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 12:43 AM   #16
crankaholic

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
While I agree with others, it's about what you're looking for in a car. I have the 6 piston package and wouldn't have it any other way - but I love a good immediate and solid brake pedal. Don't forget, you also get bigger (14.6") two piece rotors. They should be a couple pounds lighter than the smaller fully cast iron units... and more than offset a bigger caliper. I'm also going to upgrade the rear rotor to a two-piece unit, I'll keep the stock size and caliper though.

Benefits of bigger/better rotor and caliper systems from my experience:
* Better stopping power above 80MPH
* Much better pedal feel - immediate bite with complete control over brake modulation
* Less unsprung and rotating mass - very big and overlooked benefit

I'm not saying the stock 4 piston setup is bad - like everyone mentioned, braking performance from 60MPH rivals that of an M4... and I haven't heard anyone mention excessive brake fade during track use. If you're used to multi-piece non-radially mounted calipers and all iron rotors - the Camaro 4 pistons will be amazing.
Old 03-27-2016, 02:40 AM   #17
thescreensavers

Drives: SW 1SS 1LE / Jeep XJ
Won't stop any shorter, 6pots are more for track use as the two peice Rotor helps dramatically with wheel bearings temps, also as well as the rotor being bigger you have more heat capacity.

Though there may not be cheap aftermarket two peice Rotors so keep that in mind.
thescreensavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 03:02 AM   #18
bpang1234
You can only YOLO once.

Drives: '16 2SS & '15 Subaru Forester
Quote:
Originally Posted by thescreensavers View Post
Won't stop any shorter, 6pots are more for track use as the two peice Rotor helps dramatically with wheel bearings temps, also as well as the rotor being bigger you have more heat capacity.

Though there may not be cheap aftermarket two peice Rotors so keep that in mind.
A larger diameter rotor will contribute to higher braking power...if the tires aren't at their maximum braking adhesion level. More or less.

One thing that people don't understand is that rotor diameter and tires contribute more to braking ability than how many pots your calipers have.
-1st Car to have the "full" SEMA High Performance Graphics kit from 6LEDesigns.
-1st Car to have the 6LEDesigns Blade Spoiler.
-Borla S-Type w/ custom H-Pipe
-Procharger P-1X Stage 2
bpang1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 06:30 AM   #19
CapeCruisin
Daily Driver 24/7 365

Drives: '15 CRT 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpang1234 View Post
I wouldn't make it as absolute as the first reply post.

I believe the regular Brembo setup will be fine for many people who track. We haven't yet had enough experience with it (the normal 4-piston setup) to know if it is a weak link. Hell, we barely have anyone with upgraded pads on yet. None of the reviews I've read of people who were able to take it out on the track complained about brake fade.

I would do pads, lines and fluid before stepping up to the 6-piston setup.
It's a pretty absolute decision. 6 piston or 4 piston. Eenie or meenie. One or the other. Track or not track.

2014 RRM Camaro 1LT/RS A6/NPP CAI
Follow Me On Instagram!
CapeCruisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 07:12 AM   #20
Marine Corps

Drives: 2016 2SS Garnet Red Camaro
I'm convinced that buying the 4-piston break kit would have been perfect for my driving style, however, like a kid in a candy store I had to have the 6-piston brake kit. I'm happy with my choice.
Added Procharger supercharger.
Marine Corps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 07:31 AM   #21
Rob13567

Drives: 2016 camaro 2ss NGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankaholic View Post
While I agree with others, it's about what you're looking for in a car. I have the 6 piston package and wouldn't have it any other way - but I love a good immediate and solid brake pedal. Don't forget, you also get bigger (14.6") two piece rotors. They should be a couple pounds lighter than the smaller fully cast iron units... and more than offset a bigger caliper. I'm also going to upgrade the rear rotor to a two-piece unit, I'll keep the stock size and caliper though.

* Much better pedal feel - immediate bite with complete control over brake modulation

I'm not saying the stock 4 piston setup is bad - like everyone mentioned, braking performance from 60MPH rivals that of an M4... and I haven't heard anyone mention excessive brake fade during track use. If you're used to multi-piece non-radially mounted calipers and all iron rotors - the Camaro 4 pistons will be amazing.
So did you have the 4 piston Before upgrading to 6 piston? and while they are great brakes the only flaw for some(me included) is the initial brake bite when pressed? does the 6 piston get rid of that completely?
Rob13567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 07:40 AM   #22
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankaholic View Post

Thanks for that input! Where's the evidence of the larger rotor being lighter
? For rotating mass, it's also important how far from the centerline it is, which I don't think you are taking in to account with your analysis above.
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 10:08 AM   #23
therza

Drives: 2014 shelby
I had the same question when I ordered mine. Then I found out you can buy the 6 brembo package from Chevy.

http://www.chevrolet.com/performance...arts/2016.html

I have seen it advertised for $2100, US. Made the decision a no-brainer. Went with the 4 piston. can always upgrade to 6 and save some coin.
therza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 10:44 AM   #24
tay1992

Drives: 2012 Grabber Blue Mustang GT/CS
Thanks for all the input guys, I just wanted to make sure I was choosing what would be best for me and not the cheaper option. Im going to go with the 4 piston brakes it sounds like the better set up for me
tay1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 12:17 PM   #25
crankaholic

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob13567 View Post
So did you have the 4 piston Before upgrading to 6 piston? and while they are great brakes the only flaw for some(me included) is the initial brake bite when pressed? does the 6 piston get rid of that completely?
Unfortunately, besides my 6 piston 2SS, I only drove a 2LT - so that's not a good comparison. I did drive vehicles that had big-brake kits installed (3 series and a Mustang GT) and I drove a Scat Pack and an SRT Challenger - even though the Challengers were some time apart, the difference in brake performance was very noticeable. I also upgraded to floating rotors on my CTS-V1, along with stainless brake lines, pads and fluid. Again, stopping distance from 60mph is up to the tires; but pedal feel and stopping distance from 80mph+ is affected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
Thanks for that input! Where's the evidence of the larger rotor being lighter
? For rotating mass, it's also important how far from the centerline it is, which I don't think you are taking in to account with your analysis above.
There wasn't any information for Camaro rotor weight when I checked. 14.5" rotors I upgraded to floating units in my CTS-V1 were 5lbs less per wheel. The hub attachment points on rotors are thick and there isn't a place to machine unnecessary material out.

You're right that rotating mass closer to the center is less important, but 5lbs per wheel is a lot. The unsprung mass will also improve suspension performance, even in every day driving.

Edit: I agree that all that might not be worth 3k to everyone...

Last edited by crankaholic; 03-30-2016 at 09:58 AM.
crankaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 03:33 PM   #26
Whitespeed

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE & 1973 Datsun 240Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpang1234 View Post
A larger diameter rotor will contribute to higher braking power...if the tires aren't at their maximum braking adhesion level. More or less.

One thing that people don't understand is that rotor diameter and tires contribute more to braking ability than how many pots your calipers have.
Expanding on that, rotor diameter does play a part in brake torque, but it's the ratio of master cylinder piston area to calliper piston area that has the biggest influence on brake torque, (brake pad coefficient of friction being another factor). Whether it's a one or eight plus piston calliper is really irrelevant. You could have a single piston calliper with the same total piston area as an 8 piston calliper. The clamping force will be the same.

Regardless, the reality is that most of these front big brake kits are sized to produce equal or only modestly more brake torque than what they are replacing, regardless of how many pistons the calliper has or how big the rotor is. The reason for this is that, outside of a certain margin, without a proportionate increase in rear brake torque, braking distances will actually start to get longer with a substantial increase in front brake torque. So, you can't simply slap on huge rotors and callipers with big pistons and/or high friction pads on the front only and expect the car to stop shorter. The opposite will happen.

I haven't seen the specs for the gen 6 Camaro 4 and 6 pot callipers, but for example, the gen 5 6 pot callipers had a slightly smaller total piston area than the 4 pots, despite the extra pistons. This was to compensate for the added torque of the larger rotor without upsetting the front to rear brake balance.

Of course, there are other factors that influence braking engineering/performance. But brake bias is probably one of the least well understood issues, with many people assuming that a "big" front brake kit means substantially more brake torque, which is just not the case.

Nigel
Whitespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:34 AM   #27
kingbambino22

Drives: 2023Porsche Cayenne S
Keep the 4 pots and if later you need buy the 6 pots then you can sell the 4pots to v6 or I4 Camaro owners. I think you pay more if you buy with dealer installed and don't keep the 4 pots to begin with.
kingbambino22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:17 PM   #28
evanescent03

Drives: '19 SS 1LE/'19 Rubicon/'20 AT4
it seems like most of the input here is subjective. i'd say that for your purposes the 4pot should be more than enough and chances are you'll never use even 1/2 of their potential if you're just commuting with the car. that's a good thing, by the way!

this is a lot like the steel vs carbon ceramic debate in the M3/4 forum. the guys with the $8k carbon ceramics swear by them, but the rest of us stop just fine using our steel rotors and track pads (pagid rs29 in my case). the other thing to consider is eventual repair/replacement costs for the larger, more expensive brakes. my guess is that the 6pot is considerably more expensive but i can't find data on it right now as far as rotors/pads go.

sounds like you are going for the 4 pot. i'll do the same if i choose the 1ss and i'll do my best to flog it and see how it does. i'm pretty pumped to see what the 1LE churns out though...
evanescent03 is offline   Reply With Quote