Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

View Poll Results: Would you go for the Hybrid V6 or the SS?
SS 150 89.29%
Hybrid-V6 18 10.71%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-13-2020, 05:48 PM   #57
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Lets say that that our current 6th Gen Model came with a fully loaded submodel that costed as much as a 2SS, making 400 HP but could also pack up to 40 MPG when driving conservatively and packing up to 400 HP when wanting to enjoy it. It probably wouldn't handle as well as a stock V6 due to the extra weight of the powertrain, and you probably wouldn't beable to easily mod it due to complexity.. ..but it would still be a thrill and very fuel efficient.

Would you go for it? or just go for the SS?

It would be a tough choice for me.
yes
Old 07-13-2020, 06:36 PM   #58
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by MackSteelPrivateEye View Post
Some cars were crappy in the late 70s and 80s during the overnight downsizing and gas mileage mandating. But to suggest that the majority of American cars then were crappy is like Fake news propaganda. Sure the technology back then was not as good as today. But its like comparing a 1920s and 30s car to a 1960s and 70s car. The tech is always evolving. Cars from the 60s and 70s were quite robust. Sure they rusted in the elements, rust proof tech and metal treatment can't compare to today, shocks didn't last as long, mufflers didn't. But rust proofing and manufacturing was different, nowhere near the computer technology like today was around then to help in designing a car. Cars like the Vega and Pinto were not the best because they were rushed products to compete with foreign cars being dumped on the market almost overnight.
What I hear you saying is that compared to today's cars....they are inferior in basically every measure except length.

There are plenty of examples of state of the art tech from 20 years ago that was awesome then but I'm not going to hold it up on a pedestal against today's. It was good then, it's garbage now.

But even looking back at then, american cars didn't lead the pack in automotive breakthroughs ...most were sold with drum breaks. Most had leaf springs. Old crap even then. You had carbs going even though fuel injection was in some chevy's and other cars in the 50's. Seems like lots of innovation that happened just ended in the 50's and everything sold in the 60's and 70's was whatever was the cheapest thing people would buy and we dont start seeing any real advancement over the tiny iterative improvements to automatic transmissions until cars began getting heavily regulated for safety and emissions.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 07:52 PM   #59
Zr8000

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devstrike View Post
I would still probably buy an LT1 or SS with the V8. Fuel Economy isn't the reason I bought this car and we have a Honda Civic for that. The Camaro is a fun car and I like activating sport mode and hearing that V8. That being said the mpg out of the 6.2 is actually not bad at all. 27 all highway I bet people can break 30 on road trips going 75 mph constantly.
I road tripped mine over the 4th of July. I put about 1200 miles on it and got in the low 30s for mpg.
Zr8000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 08:30 PM   #60
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
Nothing at all wrong with a v6 Camaro. It keeps the company working.
The little 6 is a puny 221 inches of n/a horsepower. That is 1.33 hp per cubic inch
The 6.2 liter 378 inch v8 n/a is 1.20 hp per cubic inch
Clearly the v6 is more efficient and doesn't require premium or a gas guzzler tax.
Be careful what you wish for on ending the Camaro name. All that modern plastic won't live on like the earlier versions of the Camaro.
You are all going to be force fed electric cars in the future anyway.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 09:41 PM   #61
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by 396ssrat View Post
Nothing at all wrong with a v6 Camaro. It keeps the company working.
The little 6 is a puny 221 inches of n/a horsepower. That is 1.33 hp per cubic inch
The 6.2 liter 378 inch v8 n/a is 1.20 hp per cubic inch
Clearly the v6 is more efficient and doesn't require premium or a gas guzzler tax.
Be careful what you wish for on ending the Camaro name. All that modern plastic won't live on like the earlier versions of the Camaro.
You are all going to be force fed electric cars in the future anyway.
The V6 LGX is a DOHC motor, isn't it, so this hp/ci or hp/l metric is arbitrary and makes no sense. We might as well talk about some other random measurement such as hp/valve and the V8 would "reign supreme"... this is all irrelevant IMO.

The point about lower trims keeping the lights open is quite salient, however, and that's where I think the 2019 redesign should have been different. 1" lower beltline, 1" additional height, split taillights would have addressed headroom, rear seats and trunk opening. The rear view camera did take care of rear visibility for those that consider it a problem. Throw in a slightly revised tune to add 10-15 hp and all that would be needed is some advertising, the I4 and V6 would be selling in much higher volumes by recapturing some Dodge sales. All that said, the entire segment is dwindling, so while I would've loved these changes, in all honesty they may not have been profitable enough.

As to wishing to end the Camaro name, the business case to avoid the cost of brand building is probably too strong. I bought my V8 because I also see the writing on the wall for these engines and wanted to enjoy this last and best generation to the fullest. I will enjoy my car as long as I can keep it alive and there is some parts availability.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 10:00 PM   #62
Camaro_QC

Drives: 08 Tiburon GS, 2018 Camaro 2.0T
This vote is extremely biased. We are on a V8 "muscle car" forum. Of course people won't want an electric Camaro.

Ask the same question on a Volt or Prius forum. People would be happy to have an electric Camaro.

It's like asking the question about carrying firearms in the USA and in Canada. 2 different realities and 2 completely different type of answers.
1100 - 5/08/2018 | 3800 - 6/18/2018
2000 - 5/09/2018 | 4200 - 6/21/2018
3000 - 5/28/2018 | 5000 - 6/27/2018
6000 - 6/29/2018
Camaro_QC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 10:03 PM   #63
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
The V6 LGX is a DOHC motor, isn't it, so this hp/ci or hp/l metric is arbitrary and makes no sense. We might as well talk about some other random measurement such as hp/valve and the V8 would "reign supreme"... this is all irrelevant IMO.

The point about lower trims keeping the lights open is quite salient, however, and that's where I think the 2019 redesign should have been different. 1" lower beltline, 1" additional height, split taillights would have addressed headroom, rear seats and trunk opening. The rear view camera did take care of rear visibility for those that consider it a problem. Throw in a slightly revised tune to add 10-15 hp and all that would be needed is some advertising, the I4 and V6 would be selling in much higher volumes by recapturing some Dodge sales. All that said, the entire segment is dwindling, so while I would've loved these changes, in all honesty they may not have been profitable enough.

As to wishing to end the Camaro name, the business case to avoid the cost of brand building is probably too strong. I bought my V8 because I also see the writing on the wall for these engines and wanted to enjoy this last and best generation to the fullest. I will enjoy my car as long as I can keep it alive and there is some parts availability.
N/A nonetheless
Whether or not it's the best generation is subjective. It is a great car for what it is designed for but it simply lacks in one arena.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 10:06 PM   #64
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_QC View Post
This vote is extremely biased. We are on a V8 "muscle car" forum. Of course people won't want an electric Camaro.

Ask the same question on a Volt or Prius forum. People would be happy to have an electric Camaro.

It's like asking the question about carrying firearms in the USA and in Canada. 2 different realities and 2 completely different type of answers.
On a Volt or Prius form they’d be telling us we’re disgusting, meat eating, bourbon drinking, cigar smoking (well, some of us) Neanderthals.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 10:45 PM   #65
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
I bought my V8 because I also see the writing on the wall for these engines and wanted to enjoy this last and best generation to the fullest. I will enjoy my car as long as I can keep it alive and there is some parts availability.
Yep, it's the dawn for V8 engines. Absolutely beautiful, but we are nearing the end of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_QC View Post

Still interesting to provoke discussions.

I more have a problem with the fact that hybrid cars are almost exclusively automatic-only. If there is a performance hybrid car with a manual option, I would love one. And heh, Prius and Camaro owners are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

If it's not for the high cost of insurance for having an extra car, I would own an EV for a daily driver. On the West Coast, I rely on bicycles. I am not a tree hugger by any means, but that doesn't mean I have to be rolling coals.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 10:59 PM   #66
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
Yep, it's the dawn for V8 engines. Absolutely beautiful, but we are nearing the end of it.
Charlton Heston’s quote on guns works for manual transmissions and V8s too I guess:

They’ll have to pry them from my cold dead hands.
Old 07-14-2020, 08:21 AM   #67
19 2SS

Drives: 2019 camaro 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearheadSS View Post
The majority of Camaros sold have the 2.0T or the V6 so........
I'd figure that's just because of people's budget though, i'm sure the v8 would be most people's preference
19 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 09:25 AM   #68
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years

Drives: Sharkskin Grey LT1
Sure

I wouldn't TRADE my V8 for a hybrid version, but I would consider one as my daily driver. My current ride sat in the garage for much of it's first year in my life. Why? Because I didn't want to detail it after rain, or the tires weren't correct for weather conditions, or my wife doesn't like to ride in it and we both wanted to go. That changed to a great degree after I installed the eForce SC...the immediate response to the throttle pedal is addictive. She now sports Nitto 555Rii tires on the rear and it's a hoot to drive.

So, a hybrid version daily driver makes a lot of sense to me. I have even considered a Chevy Bolt as a daily driver and might have bought one except for it's high price of entry! There's nothing wrong with having your cake and eating it too!

Previous Performance Cars:

1966 Chevelle SS 4M, 2010 Corvette 6M
1968 Dodge Charger R/T Auto 2012 1SS 6M
1982 Corvette Auto 2010 1SS 6A
1984 Corvette Auto 2016 2SS 8A
1999 Camaro Auto 2017 HBM 1SS 1le
2002 C5 Corvette 6M 2018 2SS
2006 Corvette Auto 2023 Camaro LT1
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 01:23 PM   #69
Muskiehunterman
Camaro Time

Drives: 2021 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Sound is fun!

All about the sound.
Muskiehunterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 01:28 PM   #70
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskiehunterman View Post
All about the sound.
Yes, the sound and the feel. For everything great about rowing through the gears in a V8, sitting at a red light at idle an that lumpy engine vibrating the whole car and deep rumble is just the best.

The original muscle cars, which have that rumble without computer tuned exhuast ports, you can actually hear the metal inside the engine.