Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-13-2020, 09:13 PM   #1
thedudear

Drives: 18' Camaro 2SS 1LE
Mosport Ontario Time Attack

I thought I would share this lap at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park (formerly Mosport) in Bowmanville, ON. The track was recently repaved and has been reported to be a bit slower than some would remember it to be until it "cures". Here was my best lap of the day.

It was enough for a class win and a (PAX score) 2nd overall.

Some notes about the lap,

Turn 5, the auto rev match didn't quite do its job, hence the RW lock up and subsequent slide. I guess that's good reason to learn proper heel-toe.

I babied it through 8, I probably could have given it a bit more.

Nick
Old 07-14-2020, 08:25 AM   #2
Northtrack

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Hey Nick,

It was great to meet you at the event this weekend. You were fast all weekend and I thought you had the overall in hand until the vey end. The 2nd overall though was definitely well deserved. Cool to see your lap video and it was an excellent lap but hard to correlate times with previous events as I think the track is weirdly a little slower since the repaving.

Interesting to see how your car responds to that bump at the turn into 1. It may be the video perspective, but it looks like the SS 1LE suspension does a better job than my ZLE when it hits that bump. I was getting a disconcerting jolt just when the left side is getting really loaded so it was causing me to be a little tentative in 1. Looks like you just powered through it though.....

Overall though, it was a great weekend and a good showing for the Camaro's. For me it was a great first time attack experience and I'll definitely be doing more - likely Shannonville next at the end of August.

Congrats on the great result and your high quality driving. Hope to see you at Shannonville.

Northtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 06:09 PM   #3
canadian_roger

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE
Wow, nice and smooth, interesting to see the track is slower? Were you downshifting into second at the top of 2?
canadian_roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 07:46 PM   #4
thedudear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northtrack View Post
Hey Nick,

It was great to meet you at the event this weekend. You were fast all weekend and I thought you had the overall in hand until the vey end. The 2nd overall though was definitely well deserved. Cool to see your lap video and it was an excellent lap but hard to correlate times with previous events as I think the track is weirdly a little slower since the repaving.

Interesting to see how your car responds to that bump at the turn into 1. It may be the video perspective, but it looks like the SS 1LE suspension does a better job than my ZLE when it hits that bump. I was getting a disconcerting jolt just when the left side is getting really loaded so it was causing me to be a little tentative in 1. Looks like you just powered through it though.....

Overall though, it was a great weekend and a good showing for the Camaro's. For me it was a great first time attack experience and I'll definitely be doing more - likely Shannonville next at the end of August.

Congrats on the great result and your high quality driving. Hope to see you at Shannonville.

I assume this is Steve?

It was great to meet you too, excellent driving by you as well. The kind words are appreciated. The 0.14s loss from first place was a hard one to take, especially with the slip up in 5, that could have been the difference. Oh well, next time.

If you get a chance, upload your PDR videos to youtube, id love to see how the ZLE takes corners and what happens between them!

I'll see about Shannonville, I think I'm off work, but I'm definitely craving more track time at the GP track. I'll let you know if I decide on a day to go.

Nick
Old 07-14-2020, 07:47 PM   #5
thedudear

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian_roger View Post
Wow, nice and smooth, interesting to see the track is slower? Were you downshifting into second at the top of 2?
I was upshifting into 4th. On exit of turn 2 I'm pretty close to the 3-4 shift point anyways so I just hold 4th through the corner. Downshifting to 3rd just prior to entry to turn 3.

Thank you!

Nick
Old 07-14-2020, 09:51 PM   #6
Northtrack

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudear View Post
I assume this is Steve?

It was great to meet you too, excellent driving by you as well. The kind words are appreciated. The 0.14s loss from first place was a hard one to take, especially with the slip up in 5, that could have been the difference. Oh well, next time.

If you get a chance, upload your PDR videos to youtube, id love to see how the ZLE takes corners and what happens between them!

I'll see about Shannonville, I think I'm off work, but I'm definitely craving more track time at the GP track. I'll let you know if I decide on a day to go.

Nick
Steve it is. I'm sure the 0.14s loss stings, particularly after the wobble in 5 but it was a nice recovery and no shame in 2nd.

When I got home, I swapped out my track wheels for my street wheels and discovered that both fronts were corded on the inside I'm sure I did at least one timed session with the corded tires and possibly two so might have done my fastest lap on corded tires. I hindsight, I shouldn't have tried to really stretch the life of the tires, but clearly the G3R's don't experience much grip loss when down to the cords. Will definitely go with new rubber for the next time attack event.

In the meantime though, I'm off to Calabogie this weekend on a new set of G3's so interested to see the grip level and longevity. They were definitely working for you.....

Unfortunately I forgot my SD card so I don't have any video from the event. I think I have some video saved from a previous event but not 100% sure. I'll check and let you know.

Hopefully we can do it again at Shannonville in August.

Cheers
Northtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 04:04 PM   #7
canadian_roger

@thedudear, my mistake, I meant the top of five.
Old 07-15-2020, 08:17 PM   #8
thedudear

Quote:
@thedudear, my mistake, I meant the top of five.
You'd be correct, downshifting into 2nd when the tail slid out :P

Nick
Old 07-15-2020, 08:36 PM   #9
canadian_roger

Do you find being in 2nd between 5b and c faster than riding 3rd gear out through there?

Rev-match on or off?

I am going to mostport for a first time in my 1le August 7-9th so looking forward to first outing in the car on "new" track. In my mustang I downshifted to 2nd for the first year or two and found 3rd to be just as effective... IMO.
Old 07-16-2020, 04:20 PM   #10
thedudear

Quote:
Do you find being in 2nd between 5b and c faster than riding 3rd gear out through there?

Rev-match on or off?

I am going to mostport for a first time in my 1le August 7-9th so looking forward to first outing in the car on "new" track. In my mustang I downshifted to 2nd for the first year or two and found 3rd to be just as effective... IMO.
That's an excellent question, and I did have a conversation around that with a friend of mine. I can only say that I don't know with any certainty. I'd need to be able to log that very segment with and without the downshift to second to know for sure. It "feels" faster, however that could be negated by the break in full-throttle to upshift back into 3rd.

Some people suggest that in high-torque cars like the 1LE's, downshifting doesn't matter as much. The car makes plenty of torque coming out of 5b in 3rd gear. There is also the mechanical advantage of a lower gear to consider, however.

Trial and error will tell for sure!

Is that the trillium weekend?

Nick
Old 07-21-2020, 05:05 PM   #11
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Nice lap! But i hope as hell the new pavement is not 2 seconds slower!
Fyi i upshift to 4th in T1, keep it there thru T2 down to 3rd for T3 just a slight lift for T4 down to 3rd on entry to T5 then 2nd before the exit (easy to get loose there and nothing to do with rev match imo), up to 5th on Andretti straight (higher top speed) then down to 4th for T8 3rd ifpr 9 and 10.
Congrats on your result!!!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 07:21 PM   #12
canadian_roger

Aug 7-9th is a trillium weekend. Can't wait!
Old 09-18-2020, 10:54 PM   #13
thedudear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Nice lap! But i hope as hell the new pavement is not 2 seconds slower!
Fyi i upshift to 4th in T1, keep it there thru T2 down to 3rd for T3 just a slight lift for T4 down to 3rd on entry to T5 then 2nd before the exit (easy to get loose there and nothing to do with rev match imo), up to 5th on Andretti straight (higher top speed) then down to 4th for T8 3rd ifpr 9 and 10.
Congrats on your result!!!
Just seeing you're reply now, TrackClub, thanks for your input. At the end of 19 season, I was only lifting for T4, no braking. This year (and, at this time, the track surface was only 1 week old) I was completely unable to send the car through the corner in that fashion. I felt braking was absolutely necessary. Maybe I could have gone wider on entry to form a larger radius and hence carry more speed.

The only other thing I'd like to clarify is that, yes, I've had the car get loose between 5a and 5b (usually if I'm carrying too much speed), however in this instance the rear wheels absolutely locked up as I downshifted. You can see that the gear indicator on the dash is orange in colour, so rev match is engaged. On my channel you can view the whole session and will notice a very different downshift in 5 on the first and second hot laps. You can actually hear the throttle blip (:

Thanks!!

Nicholas
Old 09-18-2020, 11:42 PM   #14
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudear View Post
Just seeing you're reply now, TrackClub, thanks for your input. At the end of 19 season, I was only lifting for T4, no braking. This year (and, at this time, the track surface was only 1 week old) I was completely unable to send the car through the corner in that fashion. I felt braking was absolutely necessary. Maybe I could have gone wider on entry to form a larger radius and hence carry more speed.

The only other thing I'd like to clarify is that, yes, I've had the car get loose between 5a and 5b (usually if I'm carrying too much speed), however in this instance the rear wheels absolutely locked up as I downshifted. You can see that the gear indicator on the dash is orange in colour, so rev match is engaged. On my channel you can view the whole session and will notice a very different downshift in 5 on the first and second hot laps. You can actually hear the throttle blip (:

Thanks!!

Nicholas
Fair enough One thing ive observed is that you have tons of steering lock when downshifting to second in T5, so not surprised the rear stepped out. Done it myself...
Rev match is awesome, but not quite an automatic tranny and much depends on revs range, as well as speed of clutch engagement. Especially mid corner, as far as the car is concerned - steering lock wise

Anyhow, a very nice lap and a superb result! Hope the pavement cures and pace goes back to normal. Cheers!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote